Verto (Kings Road)

piwacket

Re: Kings Point (Kings Road)

Post by piwacket »

zag and BW - with all due respect - we can't all think the same - it's not a current trend, it's a hangover from the 1960s IMO and shows a total lack of architectural imagination. It's just an easy way to put up a building in a space in a fairly short time :whistle1: The illustration above is still a heap of concrete boxes adorned with concrete slabs to (hopefully) break up the monotony :)

So young son playing with the cereal boxes has slapped his slices of toast over the front :wink:

... and the Parthenon would be delightful, and standing around for a lot longer than this lot.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Bushwhacker wrote: 20 Jan 2017 12:34As I have said before, there are those who would scream loudly if the Parthenon appeared within the Borough boundary.
Bl**dy well right! An edifice that's about 60% open on all 4 sides, has the interior collapsed and the roof missing is no use as a temple or any other sort building in the Thames Valley climate! :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Pooneil wrote: 20 Jan 2017 17:51
Bushwhacker wrote: 20 Jan 2017 12:34As I have said before, there are those who would scream loudly if the Parthenon appeared within the Borough boundary.
Bl**dy well right! An edifice that's about 60% open on all 4 sides, has the interior collapsed and the roof missing is no use as a temple or as any other sort of building in the Thames Valley climate! :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bl**dy well right! An edifice that's about 60% open on all 4 sides, has the interior collapsed and the roof missing is no use as a temple or any other sort building in the Thames Valley climate! :wink:
:-)
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

ReadingT wrote: 20 Jan 2017 18:10
:-)
pahaha :-)

There's no plumbing either
zag

Post by zag »

Website has been updated with loads of info for investors mainly.

Still looks a nice development though, lovely rooftop gardens!

http://www.verto-reading.com/
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

They've been putting in the piles around the perimeter of the site for the last few months and now excavating downwards. They're getting pretty deep!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Jack Strop wrote: 11 May 2017 06:25 They've been putting in the piles around the perimeter of the site for the last few months and now excavating downwards. They're getting pretty deep!
I'd noticed that. One of the advantages of travelling on the top of a double-deck bus.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Exceedingly tall crane has now been installed. They're still working on the main foundations in the rather deep hole they've excavated, but presumably that means the steel will be arriving shortly.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

zag wrote: 10 May 2017 12:02 Website has been updated with loads of info for investors mainly.

Still looks a nice development though, lovely rooftop gardens!

http://www.verto-reading.com/
We don't want investors or buy-to-letters...we want home owners! With the emphasis on occupying , not letting to tenants!
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Doesn't look like affordable homes to me. I particularly liked their description that Reading nestles the Berkshire countryside.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

MickEdge wrote: 31 May 2017 13:48 I particularly liked their description that Reading nestles (in?) the Berkshire countryside.
If you go high enough, as at least some of these residents will, that is exactly what it looks like. I had the opportunity to visit the top floor of the Blade shortly after it was built, and it is amazing how green Reading looks from up there.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

And if you drive or cycle in any direction from Reading it's pretty hard not to hit some form of countryside before too long.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Jack Strop wrote: 02 Jun 2017 06:43 And if you drive or cycle in any direction from Reading it's pretty hard not to hit some form of countryside before too long.
Good point - I was to say the same
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
zag

Post by zag »

Ollycat wrote: 31 May 2017 12:05We don't want investors or buy-to-letters...we want home owners! With the emphasis on occupying , not letting to tenants!
As a BTL investor myself, I find these kind of comments bizarre.

Reading has a massive transient population who want to rent, just like in London. Most of the people I rent to, students or Europeans here for work have no interest in buying. They just want a city center apartment close to where they need to be for a couple of years.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

That's a big old crane they've put up -
WP_20170604_15_02_45_Rich.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

zag wrote: 05 Jun 2017 09:13
Ollycat wrote: 31 May 2017 12:05We don't want investors or buy-to-letters...we want home owners! With the emphasis on occupying , not letting to tenants!
As a BTL investor myself, I find these kind of comments bizarre.

Reading has a massive transient population who want to rent, just like in London. Most of the people I rent to, students or Europeans here for work have no interest in buying. They just want a city center apartment close to where they need to be for a couple of years.
What is required are places to "nestle" in Reading and elsewhere, at affordable prices to rent or buy. Affordable, at a level manageable by first time buyers, and rents that ensure the young, essential and those transient workers can settle here. That's not always a developer's idea of affordable, which is often the most they can get away with and still get planning permission. Whilst the government definition of affordable for rents is clear (less than 80% of market rents), for buying it is a bit ambiguous, which provides the loophole for developers. Still, there is clearly a market at these "unaffordable" prices. But, it's a market skewed away from first time buyers, caused partly by years of very low interest rates and Buy-to-let tax benefits not available to homeowners. To some extent recent changes have addressed the tax benefits. What I would not like to see is a drift towards a decline in home ownership, to a market dominated by landlords. That would be a serious step back.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Managed to get an odd shot of the crane
CRANE.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Good photo!

I've just posted an article summarising the current developments on Kings Road.
http://readingonthames.com/2017/06/13/k ... g-a-point/
Not sure about the name Verto! But glad to see construction getting started.
readingguy

Post by readingguy »

Disappointing to see the launch event for this was held in Dublin. Clearly they only want to sell these flats to investors.

http://www.verto2019.com
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

They expect to top out around April time. So far quite impressive. It’s the tower(s) planned for the old BMW site I’m really looking forward to, and also the old Toys R Crap site. Those two are proper impressive in size.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

OneHinton wrote: 19 Dec 2017 22:02 They expect to top out around April time. So far quite impressive. It’s the tower(s) planned for the old BMW site I’m really looking forward to, and also the old Toys R Crap site. Those two are proper impressive in size.

Yea I agree, those do all look quite good as buildings, and I think they will fit into the developing skyline well.

The Kings Point development looks really nice from the pictures, it's a huge improvement, and good that it's in an area where passing traffic will have a better view of Reading than that horrible Kwik Fit building that was there before
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

OneHinton wrote: 19 Dec 2017 22:02 They expect to top out around April time. So far quite impressive. It’s the tower(s) planned for the old BMW site I’m really looking forward to, and also the old Toys R Crap site. Those two are proper impressive in size.
“Toys R Crap”? “Proper impressive”?

Classy.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

ReadingT wrote: 20 Dec 2017 10:58

Classy.
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

Just wondering what a LANscape garden is? Maybe a smaller version of a WANscape?
Capture.JPG
Savebugsbottom.com
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Me too! I'm really looking forward to the addition of these buildings onto the skyline.

However, I think that the old Toys R Us site plans have changed to reduce the height of the tower from >20 floors to only 11 floors. I was hoping for the taller version, but I suppose the site still has potential to improve the atmosphere around that side of town.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Perhaps we should go for Dubai's record, and build an 164-story tower in Caversham. That would certainly put us on the map, and might solve the problems described in this thread as well.

:whistle1:
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

ash wrote: 20 Dec 2017 14:42
Me too! I'm really looking forward to the addition of these buildings onto the skyline.

However, I think that the old Toys R Us site plans have changed to reduce the height of the tower from >20 floors to only 11 floors. I was hoping for the taller version, but I suppose the site still has potential to improve the atmosphere around that side of town.
Arghh that's a bit annoying they've reduced the height of them. I think taller ones would have looked so much better than just another bang average blocks of apartments which just float by without you even noticing
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I find it very frustrating that they’ve reduced the Toys R Us site plans from 20 stories to 11.

We don’t exactly have a lot of land to build on in Reading, so building upwards makes the most sense! Seeing 3,5,7 stories is a complete waste of land that could otherwise be used for new doctor surgeries and other much needed services/facilities this ever expanding town needs!
Last edited by OneGorman on 21 Dec 2017 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

bobby1413 wrote: 20 Dec 2017 13:19
ReadingT wrote: 20 Dec 2017 10:58

Classy.
Lovely.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

As I drove past yesterday the lights held me up and I had a good opportunity to just look at it, and it’s starting to come along now. They seem to be three floors from topping out which they initially said would be April time. They may be ahead of schedule. Impressive building! Improves that area greatly.
zag

Post by zag »

Yep looking good now. I think its already topped out at 14 stories?

zag

Post by zag »

Also loving the top 3 bedroom penthouse apartments!!

OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Nothing in GetReading about a topping our ceremony yet. Last article on it suggested Easter was the target.

17 stories when finished. 3 floors still to go.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getrea ... 727008.amp
Last edited by OneGorman on 05 Jan 2018 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneHinton wrote: 05 Jan 2018 23:50 Nothing in GetReading about a topping our ceremony yet. Last article on it suggested April was the target.

Isn’t this 17 stories when finished? 3 floors still to go unless something changed.
Yep last I heard it was going to be 17 floors.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”