Verto (Kings Road)

marie

Verto (Kings Road)

Post by marie »

Yet another attempt is being made to rid the town of the eyesore that is Kings Point, by converting it !.....

I've no idea where they come up with their proposed sale prices, unless they have a crystal ball....

EDIT: Updated design

Developer: CNM Estates

Current Status: Under Construction

Plans are being drawn up to transform Reading's "number one eyesore" into luxury apartments to rival those in central London.

The Kings Point offices look set to be converted into 70 flats complete with six penthouse apartments, two with rooftop gardens, costing up to £4 million each.

A consortium is being put together to fund the multi-million pound project, to be renamed Kings Waterside.

The derelict 1960s' offices in Kings Road have become a haven for rough sleepers and drug addicts ever since being earmarked for demolition and redevelopment in June 2006.

But a group of investors called Project King intend to transform it into their vision of a 12-storey complex, which could be completed by 2013.

Daniel Hillman, head of private equity and development firm Hillman Holdings, which is heading up the scheme, said: "This development will bring the glamour and interest of London's prime luxury to Reading.

"Kings Waterside will be a striking architectural landmark in Central Reading. It will be the first eco-friendly real estate development here and will set a trend for neighbouring developments and future opportunities within Reading.

"It will be at the very forefront of design, and high in luxury but at the same time it will be sympathetic to Reading's heritage and history.

"The development will be tailored to the environment so it doesn't just look like it's been plonked there. It will stand out in its own setting."

Previous plans to build an 11 to 13-storey building with shops and affordable apartments collapsed after developers Kenavca Properties went into receivership in 2006.

Since then the office block has been frequently coated in graffiti, the council and police have reports of drug dealing at the back of the building and squatters have moved in.

Mr Hillman said the consortium is purchasing the site from the beneficiaries of the now defunct Kenavca group and hopes to submit an outline planning application this summer.

"I know people in Reading are very eager to see it demolished," he said. "It does look terrible but I can see beyond that. There is so much potential there.

"If I could choose one building in Reading to redevelop - it would be that one. It is in a prime location right on the corner of Kings Road."

The entrepreneur, who studied at Reading Art and Design College, is also confident the property market will pick up and hopes to achieve £1,300 per sq ft when the scheme is completed.

"Times aren't great right now but I believe the market will improve and property prices will begin to rise again in 2012," he said. "The demand is there. But it's not just about a building.

"I want to make a lasting commitment to bring the finest parts of London to Reading.

"We have a great opportunity to create a town to match the glamour and fine dining you see in the capital."

The news has been welcomed by Tony Page, lead councillor for planning, who has previously described Kings Point as 'Reading's number one eyesore'.

He said: "I'm very keen to see this site redeveloped because it is a real eyesore.

"I hear that the squatters are back in there.

"The principle of a residential development such as this is most welcome. Reading Borough Council gave planning permission for the building to be demolished and redeveloped more than two years ago but nothing has happened.

"As soon as something is done to demolish it the better."
Kings Point Reading.jpg
Kings Point Reading.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
old_chris

Re: Kings Point

Post by old_chris »

We'veall just slagged off that location to someone looking to move to Reading - and some nutjob is thinking of making £4m penthouses there?

I'm glad my money isn't investing in that...
Les

Post by Les »

I know that building rather well, and if they think that they are going to turn it into 'Luxury Appartments' without totally gutting it and starting again, they aren't living in this world. They would do better to do something with that heap on the corner on London Street and Queen's Road.
But I suppose if they do something with it, it will be better than it is now.
CavJohn
Super Contributor

Post by CavJohn »

How can these proposed flats be compared to luxury apartments in London when they sit alongside Reading's answer to the Hanger Lane gyratory system?

When I saw the reference to transform the "number one eyesore" I thought they meant the council offices and its environs, presumably after the council have moved into the former Woolies store if today's Post is to be believed.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

i'm pretty sure that by "transform" they mean demolish and rebuild. I don't believe that Reading has ever had a £1 million apartment so I think £4 million is an incredible figure. Perhaps they're just trying to stoke a bit of curiosity in their plans. Good luck to anyone trying to replace that monstrosity though!
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/blogs/s/204 ... pportunity

Evening Post article about this Mr Hillman - perhaps the next Madejski...
CavJohn
Super Contributor

Post by CavJohn »

peterson wrote:http://www.getreading.co.uk/blogs/s/204 ... pportunity

Evening Post article about this Mr Hillman - perhaps the next Madejski...
With that grin he looks quite Impish, although he probably sounds rather Husky. He must have been a good Hunter to track down Kings Point and see its potential. He could be the Avenger that we need after years of poor planning decisions by the council, our own little Sunbeam in fact. I hope he can continue to Dodge the recession and keep to his plan of putting down Rootes here later in the year.

I bet his wife's rather a Minx as well.

I'll get my coat..................
Les

Post by Les »

But do you think that he can be regarded as being Reliant, or will he just be Robin the homeless of somewhere to go out of the rain?
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

from getreading, re Hillman Holding's new office in Reading:
Hillman, who started his career at leading developers Candy & Candy, has caused a stir with his plans to bring London-style living to Reading.

His company is spearheading a project to transform the derelict Kings Point offices into luxury flats, and recently tabled a multi-million pound bid to convert the Forbury Hotel into boutique apartments.

He is also eyeing up plans to turn the dilapidated former Gasworks Sports and Social Club in the town centre into six lateral apartments.

And Hillman says the new office - which will be home to a growing team of designers and interior architects - sends out the right message about his fledgling business. "Davidson House fitted perfectly," he said.
I believe this is the Gasworks building referred to. Good news if this new chap can spruce this one up too.
old_chris

Post by old_chris »

There are some banners up on Kings Point (garish yellow). Looks like it's becoming a car wash and carpark.

Seems like a temporary plaster for some broken bones.
Les

Post by Les »

There must be money in this carwash lark. But then I suppose that if you use illegal immigrant labour .............
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

There is a planning application in for the conversion of Kings Point into a hotel. It would be an Etap hotel - very low budget hotel. There would be new retail units at ground level, the car parking levels stay, and 125 bedrooms where the upper vacant office floors are.

http://planning.reading.gov.uk/publicac ... hform.aspx
search for this ref number: 10/01151/FUL
The associated documents, page 2, has CGI photographs of what it would look like.

So we've gone from a proposal for demolition and 14-floor new build apartment block, to talk of a refurbishment into million-pound apartments, to finally an 18-quid-a-night hotel. The fortunes of the British economy summed up in one building!

This plan at least stands a chance of coming to fruition. But I would expect this to be a fairly cheap job.
Les

Post by Les »

Well, I hope the successful contractors know what they are taking on, it is a nightmare building to work on, as I know from personal experience.
johnH
Site Admin

Etap Hotel plan for King's Point 'eyesore' approved

Post by johnH »

getReading
October 05, 2010

The agreed look for the 125-bedroom Etap hotel at the long-vacant King's Point building

The people in charge of planning at Reading saw a vision of what might have been for one of the ugliest buildings in town.

Former lead councillor for planning Tony Page previously characterised the long-vacant King's Point building as "the worst eyesore in Reading". The recent planning committee was looking at an application to refurbish and clad the tower block in King's Road to turn it into a 125-bed Etap Hotel.....

full story http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2079 ... e_approved
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Re: Etap Hotel plan for King's Point 'eyesore' approved

Post by chris_j_wood »

johnH wrote:Former lead councillor for planning Tony Page previously characterised the long-vacant King's Point building as "the worst eyesore in Reading".
Good grief. I find myself agreeing with Tony Page. Whatever next.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

I hope they get one with it quickly. That building is a depressing sight at the moment.
radiantsoul
Super Contributor

Post by radiantsoul »

I think pulling it down would be better than leaving it to decay further.
harry2
Super Contributor

King's Point

Post by harry2 »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... nt-7950147

Nick Cooksey, from Newtown, has launched a petition to save the derelict office building, which he describes as a 'once stylish modernist structure'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A campaign to save one of the town’s most hated buildings has been launched just weeks before plans to demolish it are due to be revealed.

CNM Estates has been working on proposals to replace Kings Point with a 100-apartment residential block.

But Nick Cooksey, from Newtown, has launched a petition to save the derelict office building, which he describes as a “once stylish modernist structure”.

He said: “There isn’t really anything left from that part of history, mid-20th century, like Chatham Street car park, which was knocked down.

“It’s a style of architecture people aren’t that keen on, but my argument is we are removing a chunk of Reading’s history by removing that building.

“I personally quite like it.”

Kings Point, on the junction of King’s Road and Watlington Street, regularly features in the list of buildings people in Reading would most like to see condemned to a pile of rubble.

But Mr Cooksey, who is studying for a masters degree in heritage, is aiming to collect 750 signatures on his e-petition to force a debate at Reading Borough Council.

He says he will also attempt to have the building listed.

Mr Cooksey said: “I think one of the reasons people dislike it quite so much is because it’s so run down, it has got broken windows and it’s scruffy.

“Is it to do with the style of the architecture or to do with the state of the building?”

Mr Cooksey suggests Kings Point could be used as art gallery space which is lacking in the town and for restaurants and shops reflecting the art, music and fashion of the 1960s.

Permission has been given for a number of schemes for Kings Point in recent years, including its demolition and redevelopment to provide 108 apartments and ground floor commercial units in 2006 and the refurbishment of the existing building to a budget hotel in 2011.

It is currently being used as a car park, car wash, tyre centre and taxi office.

The building is now owned by CNM Estates, of Kingston-Upon-Thames, and development manager Nik Dyer says plans are being worked up for the demolition of Kings Point and the construction of 100 one-, two- and three- bedroom apartments with commercial units fronting the canal and parking.

Mr Dyer said the company has been in talks with the council and hopes to hold a public consultation and submit a planning application in the coming weeks.

However, Mr Cooksey is urging people to visit his website at http://www.savekingspoint.org.uk and sign the petition.

He said: “I’d like to get 750 signatures, but I won’t be surprised if I get 75.

“One of the things I’m trying to do is to change people’s view on buildings.

“Kennet House (in King’s Road) has been re-clad to make it look like everything else and if they remove Kings Point, will they replace it with something else bland and inoffensive?

“I personally think the building has quite a lot of character.”
Last edited by harry2 on 17 Oct 2014 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
harry2
Super Contributor

Re: King's Point - somebody loves it !

Post by harry2 »

11 signatories so far.
zag

Post by zag »

What potentially it could look like

http://www.cnmestates.com/KingsPoint
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

in a dream Zag?

Suddenly the Watlington Street junction has disappeared having been morphed into a tree-lined boulevard :))
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Yola

Post by Yola »

Nuts, isn't it Pi?

I don't like that building at all and it would be much better off being redeveloped but PLEASE can the developers deliver a visual that is even vaguely representative of the virtual car park the area represents in reality?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Unless another water main has burst and you now need to get around Reading by boat, it looks like the impressions is a view from Kennetside and is not too bad. just look at the current Google Maps view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45419 ... Mxz8dQ!2e0
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Jeff59
Contributor

Post by Jeff59 »

It doesn't seem a disingenuous illustration to me. It's not a view from King's Rd: the POV appears to be from west of King's Point on Kennetside (ie the southern side of the canal), looking east. One can see longboats on the canal in the illustration.

I'm delighted to see that a resi application (with retail on the ground floor) is soon to be submitted - the development market in Reading is very healthy and so the prospects for a successful re-development of this difficult site look better then they have done for many years.

Good luck to them.

Edit: just seen that Fed-up had made the same point while I was drafting.
zag

Post by zag »

With the price of the flats in the new Kennet House development a few doors down going for 300k+ this seems like a great development opportunity.

100 flats could raise 30 million quid!
d8smt
Super Contributor

Post by d8smt »

Well, I for one would be surprised if he gets in double figures, let alone 75........
d8smt
Super Contributor

Post by d8smt »

Ahem...should've checked first, it's already up to 15......
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote:Unless another water main has burst and you now need to get around Reading by boat, it looks like the impressions is a view from Kennetside and is not too bad. just look at the current Google Maps view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45419 ... Mxz8dQ!2e0
OK - 'Artistic Licence' - but there's absolutely no indication that those (ghostly) figures are walking alongside a stretch of water!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

piwacket wrote: OK - 'Artistic Licence' - but there's absolutely no indication that those (ghostly) figures are walking alongside a stretch of water!
Except that it is blue and has narrow boats on it. ;-)
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: Except that it is blue and has narrow boats on it. ;-)
oooh really? Have to confess I didn't see those - in that case then this impression doesn't much resemble the Google-view :)
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Not sure if this is with regards to the current proposals or previous but interesting nevertheless

http://rha-studio.com/residential.shtml
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

piwacket wrote:
Fed-up wrote: Except that it is blue and has narrow boats on it. ;-)
oooh really? Have to confess I didn't see those - in that case then this impression doesn't much resemble the Google-view :)
Maybe have a look before posting?... :whistle1:

What's funny is even in the 1968 pic on that savekingspoint website, there are "To Let" signs on the window. :-P

piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ReadingT wrote: Maybe have a look before posting?... :whistle1:
Quite frankly I really didn't think to find boats and was expecting a roadside view :P
Boring

Post by Boring »

ReadingT wrote:... there are "To Let" signs on the window.
Yes, they seem to have lost the "i" from the space. But this campaign has to be a wind-up doesn't it?

N.
A well Wisher

Post by A well Wisher »

Just like the hillman holdings one turned out to be !

Nothing short of demolition will be good enough for that eyesore

Return to “Property developments in Reading”