Thames Tower (Station Road)

Bushwhacker

Re: Thames Tower

Post by Bushwhacker »

Looks good to me. Makes the doom, gloom and negativity at the start of this thread seem a little silly.
cmcardle75
Super Contributor

Post by cmcardle75 »

Bushwhacker wrote:Looks good to me. Makes the doom, gloom and negativity at the start of this thread seem a little silly.
Was quite sceptical, especially when they started comparing with the Guaranty Building. But in the flesh, the cladding looks quite good.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

cmcardle75 wrote:But in the flesh, the cladding looks quite good.
I agree. Perhaps they could give lessons to the developer of this building.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bushwhacker wrote:Looks good to me. Makes the doom, gloom and negativity at the start of this thread seem a little silly.
Well I was negative based on the 'orange-ness' of the faux-terracotta. But they've toned it down which has improved it no end. So no, the doom, flip and negativity doesn't seem silly in context. :wink:
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

ReadingT wrote:
Well I was negative based on the 'orange-ness' of the faux-terracotta. But they've toned it down which has improved it no end. So no, the doom, flip and negativity doesn't seem silly in context. :wink:
Point taken, but there is a clique on this site who would be negative if the Parthenon appeared in Friar St
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Bushwhacker wrote:Point taken, but there is a clique on this site who would be negative if the Parthenon appeared in Friar St
Only if it affected traffic..... :whistle1:
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Bushwhacker wrote:
Point taken, but there is a clique on this site who would be negative if the Parthenon appeared in Friar St
Can't see that happening because it would affect the buses so Tony Page would veto it!
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Photo from this afternoon...

I agree, looking promising

ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bushwhacker wrote:
ReadingT wrote:
I agree with you and usually I'm all for change (and against the usual trend on here) but I didn't like what the plans of this looked like originally. But happily it looks good!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Is it really negative to say that I can't see any architectural merit in this building at all? It's just another big,rectangular block.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Well I mostly liked it when it was the Foster Wheeler building, and from what I can see, the changes are a welcome refresh to what was starting to become a slightly tired building.

I reserve final judgement for what happens when the ground level is revealed. My one reservation about the original building is that the interface between the building and the street never seemed to quite mesh, with odd railings and things getting in the way. If they have managed to sort that out too, I'll be delighted.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

lizwing wrote:Is it really negative to say that I can't see any architectural merit in this building at all? It's just another big,rectangular block.

I wouldn't say it's negative. I know nothing about architecture but I see where you're coming from. It's not an usual shape, nothing unique about it - at least when glancing at it - when compared to other buildings of a similar shape.

However I just think it looks fresh, modern, it stands out in that respect and I think is a great start to the development in that are of town.
zag

Post by zag »

People were negative at the beginning mainly because for the CGI render made by a 10 year old! It looked like a biscuit!

To be fair, its looking great.

Needs gargoyles on the top though 8)
Lw.

Re: Thames Tower (Station Road)

Post by Lw. »

Most of the scaffolding seems to be down now - they might have been doing this for a couple of weeks as I've been on holiday but last night they had all the windows lighting up in a rainbow of colours & the pattern was swirling round, looked pretty cool!
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Lw. wrote:Most of the scaffolding seems to be down now - they might have been doing this for a couple of weeks as I've been on holiday but last night they had all the windows lighting up in a rainbow of colours & the pattern was swirling round, looked pretty cool!
I saw the video of this, I agree it looked amazing. I really hope they continue this.
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

bobby1413 wrote:
Lw. wrote:Most of the scaffolding seems to be down now - they might have been doing this for a couple of weeks as I've been on holiday but last night they had all the windows lighting up in a rainbow of colours & the pattern was swirling round, looked pretty cool!
I saw the video of this, I agree it looked amazing. I really hope they continue this.
Could you please post a link? Thanks
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Two videos:

And

bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

There's also this one with some funky editing

bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Picture here also:

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Great! Thanks
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

According to Getreading, the light show is only temporary for a few weeks. Would have been a great feature if it was permanent.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

ash wrote:According to Getreading, the light show is only temporary for a few weeks. Would have been a great feature if it was permanent.
Think they're missing a trick there.

It could be a fantastic sight and part of the skyline. Could alter the theme, show a picture during certain events - e.g. A love heart on Valentine's Day, etc...
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

I wonder how it is done. Looking at the videos, it is clear that it is not done using the buildings main lighting, but that it works best if those lights are switched off. And by the way different windows can change colour differently, I'm guessing there must be some kind of installation at each window, perhaps a colour LED surround or even some sort of luminescent window overlay.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Saw a tweet today from ThamesTower saying:

"In the testing stage. The big launch is December 1st. The high striker will be there until December 17th"

No idea what:

The big Launch entails
Or what the high striker is
monsento

Post by monsento »

shame its not permanent, depending on how it works might be a bit distracting if occupied. http://www.getreading.co.uk/whats-on/ar ... t-12214494
Lw.

Post by Lw. »

They've taken the coverings off all the way down to ground level in some areas now - I think it's going to look quite good when finished (it's still quite messy with spare building materials at the moment).

One potential issue that hadn't occurred to me before is that as at least two sides of the building are open with a ceiling they are going to attract the rough sleepers/beggars that generally frequent this area of town anyway. They're either going to have to accept it which will probably make filling the building more difficult or pay for some 24hr security to keep the area clear.
zag

Post by zag »

It looks quite impressive now the scaffolding is all down.

I still think it would look even better with some Gargoyles on the top though :)

I do wonder how they are going to keep the beggars off the ground floor though in such a prominent footfall position coming out of the station.
Attachments
20170311_111300654_iOS.jpg
Lw.

Post by Lw. »

That's what I said when I first saw it - it's going to be a prime spot, especially when it's raining. I assume as that bit of floor is under the over-hang then it's private property so the buildings security will deal with it.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Lw. wrote: 14 Mar 2017 14:47 That's what I said when I first saw it - it's going to be a prime spot, especially when it's raining. I assume as that bit of floor is under the over-hang then it's private property so the buildings security will deal with it.
When I looked a couple of days back, the land under the overhang was unpaved (just bare dirt) so I'm wondering if they are preparing some architectural solution.
zag

Post by zag »

chris_j_wood wrote: 15 Mar 2017 13:30
Lw. wrote: 14 Mar 2017 14:47 That's what I said when I first saw it - it's going to be a prime spot, especially when it's raining. I assume as that bit of floor is under the over-hang then it's private property so the buildings security will deal with it.
When I looked a couple of days back, the land under the overhang was unpaved (just bare dirt) so I'm wondering if they are preparing some architectural solution.
Its one of those weird things that if they put out floor rails or small spikes there would be a guardian article and politically correct twitter storm of outrage. But if they designed it properly with some kind of foliage or natural deterrent nobody could care less! strange world...
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

zag wrote: 16 Mar 2017 12:12
chris_j_wood wrote: 15 Mar 2017 13:30
Its one of those weird things that if they put out floor rails or small spikes there would be a guardian article and politically correct twitter storm of outrage. But if they designed it properly with some kind of foliage or natural deterrent nobody could care less! strange world...
Quite a bit of speculation there. Not sure what the point was apart from having a pop at the guardian and people who are politically correct (something that promotes equality and fairness).
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

zag wrote: 27 Mar 2018 19:29 Really starting to fill up now.

https://www.propertyweek.com/news/erics ... 10.article
Shame for Surrey but brilliant news for Reading. Pleased to be living somewhere that companies are looking to move to. This'll be great to employment. There will be inevitable increase in living costs as we become "mini London" but I'm pleased for the jobs.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

GaryyHill wrote: 28 Mar 2018 18:59
zag wrote: 27 Mar 2018 19:29 Really starting to fill up now.

https://www.propertyweek.com/news/erics ... 10.article
There will be inevitable increase in living costs as we become "mini London" but I'm pleased for the jobs.
I think we've been a mini London for a long time
zag

Post by zag »

And another.... Nexus Planning company just announced their move.
Leading UK planning and regeneration consultancy Nexus Planning has announced the relocation of its Thames Valley office, currently situated in Weybridge, to Thames Tower in the heart of Reading from summer 2018.
https://www.nexusplanning.co.uk/news/20 ... ley-office

Nice new photo posted on their twitter feed too:

Return to “Property developments in Reading”