Urban myth
Super Contributor

Thames Tower (Station Road)

Post by Urban myth »

CvC68UYWAAAlHnp.jpg
CvC68UYWAAAlHnp.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Current Status
Under Construction

Latest proposals being aired for public viewing next week. By the looks of the website seems to be a clone of the Station Hill proposals. Hardly the landmark development promised irrespective of the scale back. It's a bit like someone spending half an hour looking over a menu and then saying I'll have what your having. Could be wrong though and at the end of the day can't be any worse than the current building.

http://www.thamestower.com/home/
cnb
Super Contributor

Re: Thames Tower

Post by cnb »

Where on the website have you found anything about the proposal? All I can see is a picture of the current building.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It looks horrible to me.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Chris - if you click on public consultation you'll see there is an exhibition on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th July.

Liz - I agree
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Urban myth wrote:... a bit like someone spending half an hour looking over a menu and then saying I'll have what your having.
I see exactly what you mean. Nicely put.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Chris - if you click on public consultation you'll see there is an exhibition on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th July.
Yes, but how do you know that it's a 'clone of the station hill proposals' before seeing the exhibition?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Two statements puzzle me?

Uses materials traditional to Reading - what are they? Red bricks a la Town Hall or Concrete for the other architectural abominimations around the town

Respects surrounding heritage buildings Where are they then?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I think the 'heritage buildings' are UNDER the concrete abominations,Pi!
BY Paulo Coelho
N Tropy

Post by N Tropy »

piwacket wrote:Two statements puzzle me?

Uses materials traditional to Reading - what are they?
Cannabis resin.
piwacket wrote:Respects surrounding heritage buildings Where are they then?
Zorbas Mr Cheezzy Chips.

HTH.

cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

piwacket wrote: Respects surrounding heritage buildings Where are they then?
Numbers 13-27 (odd) and 18-20 (even - the Great Western Hotel) Station Road are listed, as is the old Station building.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OK Chris - yes I'd agree those are probably worth acknowledging - but this new building is not going to look like them - is it?

I suspect it'll be more like Mr Kellogg's packaged product! And will have only a little longer durability.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

piwacket wrote:OK Chris - yes I'd agree those are probably worth acknowledging - but this new building is not going to look like them - is it?
I'm sure it won't. When they say 'respect' the old buildings I think they mean 'be sufficiently bland that it won't distract your attention from them'.
I suspect it'll be more like Mr Kellogg's packaged product! And will have only a little longer durability.
I doubt it will be designed with the intention of it lasting particularly long, but if you could tell the architects of the Victorian buildings of Reading that their creations were still standing I expect they'd laugh at you and ask why our society had failed to progress over the last century!

During the Victorian era buildings were demolished and replaced as rapidly as they are today, as technological and industrial progress meant that the occupiers' needs changed at great speed. It's only the depression and wars of the early twentieth century that slowed that change and allowed the buildings we have today to survive* - sentimentality being the only thing keeping them in use thereafter. The technological and social change continues, and we still replace buildings as needs change, but since WWII Britain hasn't had a globe-spanning empire to pay for each generation of those buildings to be of exceptional quality, so we've had to start designing buildings that we expect to last 50 years in such a way that they won't last more than 70 or so.

In this specific case, I expect they'll retain much of the existing structure and extend and re-clad it, so it'll probably have an even shorter design life - maybe only 30 years or so.

* Edited to add - I don't mean that war slowed technological and industrial change - if anything it drove it faster, and the first world war in particular also drove huge social changes - but during wars and recessions you don't have the time or money to replace buildings, you just make do with the less-than-ideal ones you have or throw up something temporary.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Chris - what you say is probably all true - although I'd say those heritage sites you mention were probably built more substantially in the first place - let alone the Country houses/palaces and Cathedrals - the latter often taking decades or more to complete and all without modern equipment/materials and the advantage of the 'skills' attributed to modern architects... you call it all nostalgia - I would say it's deeper than that - its appreciation and admiration for not only attractive (artistically) buildings but aknowledgement of what was achieved at the time.

But there we are - we're now in a throw-away society, so yes this/these new developments will be built to 'throw-away''' :shrug1:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

And they should be, thrown away that is.
BY Paulo Coelho
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

N Tropy wrote:
piwacket wrote:Two statements puzzle me?

Uses materials traditional to Reading - what are they?
Cannabis resin.
piwacket wrote:Respects surrounding heritage buildings Where are they then?
Zorbas Mr Cheezzy Chips.

HTH.

LOL :roflol3: Top Marks, Sir. My tummy wobbled, it was that good.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I have a good supply of Wattle and Daub if they want it

Although maybe not enough for 20 stories!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

you have to remember that Georgian and Victorian building standards were terrible.

It's more by luck than judgement that some of our old buildings are still standing, and only due to the UK's deference to old buildings that they have huge amounts of money spent on them.

I know a couple who have a Georgian home that has a constant flow of builders coming just to keep it up. Only the best survived - most fell down or was demolished as slum.
Just as some modern buildings will be.
Les

Post by Les »

You are quite right Dave. I grew up in a Georgian house which became grade 2 listed while we were living there. I did develop some serious problems in its roof structure but we were able to patch it up and it is still standing and happily the maintenance of it is now somebody else's problem!!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

The building in which I had my Gallery was built in 1822 - with an add-on sometime in the 1940s, and that was Grade II listed. The larger proportion of it having been part of the rather nice looking house next door at one time. The roof was certainly the biggest headache in that place. On doing some alterations (approved!) soon after we took the lease, we found that there was a tree growing up through one internal wall which held up part of the roof above it! With the exception of one outside wall, all the others were some 15 - 18in thick. One of the internal walls which, we found when we cut an archway into it, was in fact an enormous wooden gate complete with massive hinges and bolts which had been plastered over. That wall was a good 18 ins wide :)) But there again - it's all still standing!
Les

Post by Les »

It is amazing what surprises await one when taking a hammer and chisel to an old wall!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Les

Post by Les »

Oooer! What a creepy find.
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Could new design for Thames Tower bring a taste of New York to Reading?

getReading
David Millward
11/07/14
JS41487621.jpg
Developers want to add four more floors to the 11-storey tower to create a landmark building with a striking new facade.....

getReading http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... er-7406584
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

It doesn't matter what colour they clad it, the proportions mean that it'll always be ugly!
N Tropy

Post by N Tropy »

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

N Tropy wrote:You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Gary?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The more I see of what's happening to Reading the more glad I am that we moved.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Well Liz - thankfully there's no compulsion to go and look at it :)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

From the look of it it will dominate the town but if you don't go into the centre then I suppose you won't see it.
BY Paulo Coelho
CavJohn
Super Contributor

Post by CavJohn »

Following on from the Gherkin, the Shard, the Blade etc., we now have "The Shreddie".
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Drive up Forbury Rd and towards the station and you wont get a chance NOT to see it as right in your frontal view!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

From the look of it it will dominate the town
Remember that it's the existing building with a couple of extra floors added on (four new floors less the current plant room) - apart from the colour it won't really be any more visible than it is today. The new Station Hill buildings will hide it from the west, and the building immediately to the south across Garrard Street will probably be replaced with something taller in the next few years hiding it from that side too. It's the view from the station and from Forbury Road that's the problem.
zag

Post by zag »

Wow, words fail me....

Not only do the "artist" (and I put that in inverted commas because to me it looks like a 3 year old drew the pictures) impressions look terrible, but the colour scheme, oh dear!

The extra 4 floors means it dominates the view far too much.

I actually like it the way it was before. Just paint it white or black and replace the windows and you will have a nice building!

cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

CavJohn wrote:Following on from the Gherkin, the Shard, the Blade etc., we now have "The Shreddie".
shreddie.png

Return to “Property developments in Reading”