Steve Coppell quits Reading FC

have your say about the Royals here ....
johnH
Site Admin

Steve Coppell quits Reading FC

Post by johnH »

Reading Evening Post
May 13, 2009

Steve Coppell has quit as Reading manager after failing to guide the club back into the Premier League.

Royals went down 2-0 at home to Burnley in the second leg of their promotion play-off semi-final last night, losing 3-0 on aggregate.

And Coppell said: "I feel it is best for both the club and myself for me to leave. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Reading manager and would like to thank everyone connected to the club for the support I have received."

Chairman Sir John Madejski said: "I am disappointed, but respect Steve's wishes. I thank him for everything he has done during the most successful period in the club's history."

Reading Evening Post
www.getreading.co.uk
notjohn

Re: Steve Coppell quits Reading FC

Post by notjohn »

I know little of football but it seems to me Steve Coppell has been of more use to RFC than some of the players this year.
As is fashionable at present, perhaps the players should pay back the wages they have failed to earn. The result of matches is down to the players on the pitch, no one else.

Dispite the nonsense written in the spors pages, the basic idea is to score more goals than the other team - something the Reading team have forgotton.
BBB

Post by BBB »

I see that the club has let go of the services of Dillon and Downes. Gutted that Coppell has gone, sad to see these two leave too. Room now for a entire new Management team. Will it be Rodgers, Sanchez, Poye or Curbishley; or perhaps other ? :shrug1:
rolew
Super Contributor

Post by rolew »

Perhaps Steve Coppell would like to have another spell with Crystal Palace and do a swop with there manager.
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Steve Coppell: Why I've gone
Reading Evening Post
By Nick Ive
May 14, 2009

Steve Coppell quit Reading FC because he felt he had taken the club as far as he could.

The Royals failed to bounce back to the Premier League following their 3-0 aggregate play-off semi-final defeat to Burnley.

Despite pleas from chairman Sir John Madejski to take time to ponder his future, it is understood Coppell, who was out of contract in July, had already made his mind up to walk weeks ago were he unable to mastermind another promotion.

And he announced his decision to the board less than an hour after Tuesday night's second leg 2-0 defeat to the Clarets.

In an exclusive interview with the Evening Post Coppell said: "It was my decision. It is sad. It is an end of a chapter for the club and me, but the club just needed a spring clean.

"Last summer I wanted to erase the relegation and the only agenda was to get promotion."

He added: "It was all I was interested in, and we never achieved that. I thought I would sleep on it, but then decided that was pointless. I had a quick chat with the chairman, Nigel Howe (chief executive) and Ian Wood-Smith (director) as I felt it was just time for a change.

"It is time the club had a fresh input and it's time for me to have a break.

"I could have gone on, but I felt it was the right time for me to take a break. It's best for the club. Someone can come in and give a fresh view.

"Maybe that's what is needed to get promotion."

Coppell, Reading's most successful-ever manager in the club's 138-year history, admitted he may live to regret his decision to leave after five-and-a-half years at the helm.

The 53-year-old has enjoyed an excellent working relationship with Madejski and his board since taking up the role in October 2003.

"In many ways I might regret my decision in a couple of months because it is such a great club to work for," admitted Coppell.

"I have worked in some smelly environments and who knows where I will end up?

"At Reading I had a chairman who would let me get on with my job and never interfere at all, but was always there to give advice.

"The board - Nigel Howe, Ian Wood-Smith and Nick Hammond - have all been supportive in every way possible, but I just felt it need someone new to freshen things up.

Coppell will now take a break from football for a couple of months, but insists he is not ready to retire.

"I want to work, I have the energy and working is part of what I am about," said the former England and Manchester United winger.

"I can't see myself not working in whatever capacity. Even out of football if it is equally rewarding. I need a purpose."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/video/?bcpi ... 3141788001
Reading Evening Post

Return to “Reading Football Club”