The Weather Station

an area for Reading's many public houses, restaurants, and hotels
STiR
Contributor

The Weather Station

Post by STiR »

Hello all.

The Eldon Arms on Eldon Terrace is now a craft 'beer house' called The Weather Station. It opened earlier in the month. Here's my review of the place if you're interested at all...

https://shitandnotshitpubsinreading.com ... r-station/

Ta!
Tommy
Super Contributor

Re: The Weather Station

Post by Tommy »

So what is the price of a beer in here?
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

It depends. There are 20+ draughts/pumps and lots of weird cans and bottles. Some beers they serve as pints, some as 2/3 of a pint. I don't think I saw anything sub-£5.50. With some of the fancier, stronger ones coming in at about a quid on top of that.

On average, rounds of two were coming in around twelve quid.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Interesting comments about the noise. Back in the day when they had bands on and the odd lock in, they had a lot of hassle with neighbours who bought a house next to a pub and then complained about noise.
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

I remember hearing about noise issues and neighbours only a few years ago, so I'll be interested to see how that plays out. Me and my missus were making this very point to each other as we stood out back on Saturday night.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Popped in Sunday PM for a look. It's not aimed at me, but people seemed to be having a good time. The beer was very good - I had the "Don't act like you're not impressed" which was strong and very tasty, not cheap, but well, I'm worth it. I hereby register the name "I can't believe it's not bitter" for a future brew.

It was noisy though, even for a Sunday afternoon. I think a lot of that is all the hard surfaces reflecting the sound, they probably need more and longer beards to dampen this. The barrels are just silly.

And to pubs in general - look, they're just salted peanuts. A stupid name and a high price doesn't make them anything else.
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

That was the way I saw it, Keith. Not really my sort of boozer, but if people like it, I'm all for it. I'm relaxed about it all until the day all pubs are like this place and my/our tastes are no longer catered for. Then - and only then - will I lead an uprising and take to the streets.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

I was in the Ship in Soho recently. The music was ridiculously loud, I guess it was because it was a Friday. But we had to leave it was so loud. The barman could hardly hear us too.

So the potential of that and the eye watering prices, I doubt it will be a regular haunt of mine. I will pop in on pub crawl one day though.
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

I could feel my voice going about an hour after being in there, shouting at friends.

I'd say it's worth popping in to see. The beer selection should definitely be admired/sampled. The same can't be said for the horrendous paint job, mind.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

KeithW wrote: 30 Sep 2019 18:36 Popped in Sunday PM for a look. It's not aimed at me, but people seemed to be having a good time. The beer was very good - I had the "Don't act like you're not impressed" which was strong and very tasty, not cheap, but well, I'm worth it. I hereby register the name "I can't believe it's not bitter" for a future brew.

It was noisy though, even for a Sunday afternoon. I think a lot of that is all the hard surfaces reflecting the sound, they probably need more and longer beards to dampen this. The barrels are just silly.

And to pubs in general - look, they're just salted peanuts. A stupid name and a high price doesn't make them anything else.
Sorry too late - I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter by Peace Tree Brewing Company (although it is an American brewery, I've seen it over here)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

OLDMAN wrote: 01 Oct 2019 13:30 Sorry too late - I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter by Peace Tree Brewing Company (although it is an American brewery, I've seen it over here)
The one you've seen locally with that name is probably from Oakleaf Brewery in Gosport.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

cnb wrote: 01 Oct 2019 13:41
OLDMAN wrote: 01 Oct 2019 13:30 Sorry too late - I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter by Peace Tree Brewing Company (although it is an American brewery, I've seen it over here)
The one you've seen locally with that name is probably from Oakleaf Brewery in Gosport.
No its was the American one as kept the bottle for a while, then gave it to mate who collects them
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Tommy wrote: 01 Oct 2019 08:55 I was in the Ship in Soho recently. The music was ridiculously loud, I guess it was because it was a Friday. But we had to leave it was so loud. The barman could hardly hear us too.
I've been a visitor to The Ship for 35 years on and off, and still go there several times a year - unfortunately in the last 3 or 4 years it's really gone downhill - over the course of the late afternoon/evening, every hour or two the lights go down a little and the music goes up a little. 'Twas ever thus, but since Charlotte the landlady left, any vestige of restraint on volume control has sadly evaporated. It's a shame to see a good pub decline.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

STiR wrote: 30 Sep 2019 18:48 That was the way I saw it, Keith. Not really my sort of boozer, but if people like it, I'm all for it. I'm relaxed about it all until the day all pubs are like this place and my/our tastes are no longer catered for. Then - and only then - will I lead an uprising and take to the streets.
Will be closing on 3rd September, apparently. Reason given is the rent is too high.
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... t-24652776
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

An ex-manger told me that trade had gone downhill and main comment he got implied it was more to do with the high prices they charge, its why he moved from there
So maybe not enough coming in to cover the rent etc
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It’s a shame, never been there as the Weather Station, my local to the Eldon mates have all moved away.
I used to go to the Eldon regularly
Hope it reopens as a pub

Return to “Pubs, Restaurants, and Hotels”