Proposals to revitalise The Oracle and regenerate the eastern end of the centre

chat about the town here ...
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Proposals to revitalise The Oracle and regenerate the eastern end of the centre

Post by chris_j_wood »

Just received this invitation out of the blue on my facebook feed. I know not everybody does facebook, so here is the what little info there is:

"
Join our live webinar on Tuesday 23 August between 6 and 7pm to find out more about Hammerson’s proposals to revitalise The Oracle and regenerate the eastern end of the centre.

294417697_6286032338047_803831283666668067_n.jpg
"

Not how true to life the image is intended to be, but it could be seen as suggesting they are proposing to demolish the ex-Debenhams bit of the Oracle and replace it with flats. Have I missed some proposal somewhere, or is this the first publicity being sneaked out in a rather subtle way?.

The facebook post was a sponsored one (ie. an advert), so I guess they are inviting anybody who might be interested. It contains a link to register for a Zoom conference call: Register here
dave m
Super Contributor

Re: Proposals to revitalise The Oracle and regenerate the eastern end of the centre

Post by dave m »

I understood "refurbish and convert" rather than "demolish?"

EDIT

my mistake it looks like a bloody great tower block could be added?
Not sure how that fits in with the Local Plan?
piwacket

Re: Proposals to revitalise The Oracle and regenerate the eastern end of the centre

Post by piwacket »

More on it here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-62330054

Are yet more really flats needed?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

And it seems there a drop-in session to see the plans at The Oracle on 12 August between 11:00-16:00.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Well anyone who objects should go along and voice their opposition.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

I'll definitely go along to the in-person event to hear more. Potentially this could be positive. A new entrance into the mall is very much needed at the Debenhams end, since they closed. The cinema is staying, and will be interesting to see how much leisure/retail space is retained in the scheme.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I have registered for the Zoom thing
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Do you mean into the Kings Street Mall peterson?
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I doubt it. I read it as being a route from the canal bridge/ LSB area through to the inside of the Oracle?
Debenhams provided a route, otherwise you need to access via Broad street or House of Fraser area.

The current layout is terrible compared to the defunct Minster St or Debenhams routes
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It certainly needs thinking a bout a new entrance from Minster St area
The original one that took you in between Debenhams and Waterstones was good as reasonably close to the bus drop off, but that closed and another one opened further round / down Yield Hall Ln in though via Debenhams, but then that went
Only choice now is to walk along Minister St to the entrance by Bluegrass Burgers or get off the bus elsewhere and sue the Broad St entrance – none of which are that direct!

And there’s already a way through from London St via lower part of Yield Hall Ln as its the route from Queens Rd CP
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

dave m wrote: 29 Jul 2022 08:52 I doubt it. I read it as being a route from the canal bridge/ LSB area through to the inside of the Oracle?
Debenhams provided a route, otherwise you need to access via Broad street or House of Fraser area.

The current layout is terrible compared to the defunct Minster St or Debenhams routes
Yes, exactly this. Hoping a new entrance into the Oracle from the former Debenhams plot somewhere will open up a route for new smaller retail/leisure units to front onto.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

It has been so long since I went into the centre of Reading that I can't work out in my head where all these things are. It will be interesting to see the Zoom presentation. Not that it will matter that much to me in the end, as I won't be going there
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Avis wrote: 29 Jul 2022 19:12 It has been so long since I went into the centre of Reading that I can't work out in my head where all these things are. It will be interesting to see the Zoom presentation. Not that it will matter that much to me in the end, as I won't be going there
Haha - me neither :shrug1:
There's no such thing as a free lunch
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 29 Jul 2022 11:03 Only choice now is to walk along Minister St to the entrance by Bluegrass Burgers or get off the bus elsewhere and sue the Broad St entrance – none of which are that direct!
There is a rather well hidden door on the right hand side of Yield Hall Lane going downhill that takes you to the bottom of a lift. If you take the lift to level 2, you come out in a backstage area and emerge on the upper level of the mall through an even better disguised door. It is actually the same lift (or at least lift shaft) that used to stop on both sides of that silly short escalator on the old Minster Street entrance, but it no longer stops there (because you would be in mid-air halfway up Next). It also goes to Motability on level P1.

Of course if everybody knew about it, that single small lift would be overwhelmed, so I'd better remember not to tell anybody about it. :whistle1:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 31 Jul 2022 19:42
OLDMAN wrote: 29 Jul 2022 11:03 Only choice now is to walk along Minister St to the entrance by Bluegrass Burgers or get off the bus elsewhere and sue the Broad St entrance – none of which are that direct!
There is a rather well hidden door on the right hand side of Yield Hall Lane going downhill that takes you to the bottom of a lift. If you take the lift to level 2, you come out in a backstage area and emerge on the upper level of the mall through an even better disguised door. It is actually the same lift (or at least lift shaft) that used to stop on both sides of that silly short escalator on the old Minster Street entrance, but it no longer stops there (because you would be in mid-air halfway up Next). It also goes to Motability on level P1.

Of course if everybody knew about it, that single small lift would be overwhelmed, so I'd better remember not to tell anybody about it. :whistle1:
Yes I found / used that route before but went one time a while back and it had been made a fire exit so couldn’t open from the outside?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 01 Aug 2022 09:07 Yes I found / used that route before but went one time a while back and it had been made a fire exit so couldn’t open from the outside?
Worked just fine for me last week, in both directions. Which door couldn't you open, the YHP one or the Mall one?.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 02 Aug 2022 13:22
OLDMAN wrote: 01 Aug 2022 09:07 Yes I found / used that route before but went one time a while back and it had been made a fire exit so couldn’t open from the outside?
Worked just fine for me last week, in both directions. Which door couldn't you open, the YHP one or the Mall one?.
The YHP one, the other one used to be into Debenhams – it was a couple of years plus back (as Deb’s closed) so maybe temp at the time
Not tried since as can’t be a***d with visiting the Oracle these days unless walking straight through
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Reading talk”