Chat Thread

General chat forum
piwacket

Re: Chat Thread

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Jun 2022 12:22 Not been to Chatsworth either but would like to. Can’t say I’ve been to any stately homes or NT property.
No I haven’t been to many either, those I have seem to be a bit ‘samey’ - and not keen on formal gardens either.
Having been to Versailles several times I think has spoiled me for looking around the ones here. Although I believe Chatsworth would come fairly high up the ranking.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Jun 2022 13:00 . Who orders so little so late? Surely you must have the makings of something on toast at least.
I would say someone with more money than sense. But there do seem a lot of those about
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My son as a freelance often works through the night and into the next day and there are times when he can’t get out to do shopping, he sometimes gets things like milk or eggs delivered and even, when he had terrible hay fever and had run out of tablets a nice chap on a moped brought him some Benadryl. It’s a different world out there folks.
I think another cause of waste is supermarkets only selling things in packs, you can’t buy one orange or one lettuce you have to buy a bagful and potatoes don’t last even in a dark bag and unless you eat lettuce with every meal one of them is going to go bad. Sadly not everyone has a local greengrocer.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 22 Jun 2022 14:33 I think another cause of waste is supermarkets only selling things in packs, you can’t buy one orange or one lettuce you have to buy a bagful and potatoes don’t last even in a dark bag and unless you eat lettuce with every meal one of them is going to go bad. Sadly not everyone has a local greengrocer.
Waitrose sell most veg loose - yes there’s packs of green beans, and one or two others things , but the majority is loose… I won’t shop for veg in a supermarket that doesn’t sell them loose :shrug1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

lizwing wrote: 22 Jun 2022 14:33 My son as a freelance often works through the night and into the next day and there are times when he can’t get out to do shopping, he sometimes gets things like milk or eggs delivered and even, when he had terrible hay fever and had run out of tablets a nice chap on a moped brought him some Benadryl. It’s a different world out there folks.
I think another cause of waste is supermarkets only selling things in packs, you can’t buy one orange or one lettuce you have to buy a bagful and potatoes don’t last even in a dark bag and unless you eat lettuce with every meal one of them is going to go bad. Sadly not everyone has a local greengrocer.
I know what you mean - shift workers too, and we all get a case of the munchies and we can all forget things don’t we. As it was local, I pretty much know if people work and which car is theirs etc, so was surprised by the small quantity they had delivered. Not many people have supermarket deliveries here, maybe three houses in the whole street? It’s the same people having these deliveries as well - makes me sound like a curtain twitcher but hearing a bike or seeing lights late at night gets you up.

I worked with a girl, same age as youngest Voice, who would order in food to work. Odd quantities of stuff, not just your normal catering sandwiches and stuff for meetings, but multiple cartons of milk - 8 or 10 four litre bottles, OJ by the dozen cartons, loaf after loaf after loaf of bread, a single pack of butter yet boxes and boxes of things like camomile tea or earl grey that no one liked. They had a large American Fridge Freezer which was packed with food. When there were meetings, she’d over a LOT of food, but not from a decent place so most of it went uneaten. I’d have got less but better quality. There probably weren’t above two dozen staff in the premises at any one time......

I’ve had deliveries before now - the famous 24 leeks instead of 2 leeks debacle when I pressed the quantity twice thinking it hadn’t registered was memorable - but haven’t done since lockdowns and all that finished as I don’t need to and leave it for those that might need it more than me.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

mikejee wrote: 22 Jun 2022 14:16
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Jun 2022 13:00 . Who orders so little so late? Surely you must have the makings of something on toast at least.
I would say someone with more money than sense. But there do seem a lot of those about
Makes me wonder if they can cook - not that toast is cooking, despite what himself claims. I know a few women who say they don’t or can’t cook. How can you not? Men maybe - the Alledged can cook bacon sarnies and toast and that’s is it -but women IMHO are generally more interested in food? If not the seemingly everlasting dieting they do, then in magazines, on TV and ‘celeb chef books, not to mention probably being responsible for the feeding of children.

I think you, D5, Windy and OM are the only men I know that do cook.

Sometimes it’s not about money though. I’ve seen people in supermarkets buy a lot of ready meals - family size lasagnes, meatballs and spaghetti, or ‘ping’ food that kind of thing. The ingredients themselves aren’t necessarily expensive, they cost as much or as little as you want to spend. I like a takeaway as much as the next person - Chinese, sometimes Indian, fish and chips - but that is a very rare treat. Don’t like fast food per se. Perhaps it’s how food and eating have changed, I don’t know. Fill up quick on cheap stuff rather than a social event with the family 🤷🏻‍♀️
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Jun 2022 15:41 I think you, D5, Windy and OM are the only men I know that do cook.
🤷🏻‍♀️
And me VoT. I can honestly say I might that the last time I bought a ready meal would be about the 1960s or 70s when i thought I'd see what they were like and was not impressed. Do occasionally eat take aways of restricted sorts . If there was a decent fish and chip shop around here that used dripping
and decent fish, then I would consider actually ordering for delivery. Perhaps for my health it is a good thing there is not one nearby
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Can’t remember ever having F and C cooked in dripping? Maybe the old 555 fish bar down the Occy Road, or the one that used to be where the new flats are now at the bottom of Grovelands Road? The place in the meadway precinct seems ok but not had anything from there for a long while.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Sadly Pi our small local Tesco doesn’t seem to sell loose veg and the nearest big one is a good 40 minutes away, same with Sainsburys and Waitrose, it’s a long way to go for an orange !
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good evening forum.
This has been a day of odd jobs.
Mrs D won't be home until 7:30 or 8ish so I rather think a cuppa is on the cards.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 22 Jun 2022 16:37 Sadly Pi our small local Tesco doesn’t seem to sell loose veg and the nearest big one is a good 40 minutes away, same with Sainsburys and Waitrose, it’s a long way to go for an orange !
No, not many supermarkets do sell loose veg it seems…. Thinking of themselves not the customer IMO! That or just laziness, can’t be bothered. Then it wouldn’t be quite so bad if they were sold in small packs - we don’t all have 4 children at home - or even 4 adults! Very few cater for single people or even couples, but Waitrose do at least try… including having a Deli, Fish and Meat counters so you can see what you’re buying and as small a quantity as you want.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Sainsburys and Calcot used to have those counters, and do still do some veg individually. Only manned (womaned) counter now is for hot chicken and pizza, although I am partially convinced by the size of the things nowadays that they are really quail or large sparrows
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’ve noticed that Mike, what used to medium chicken are now large and small are medium the prices haven’t gone down though!
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 22 Jun 2022 13:01
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Jun 2022 12:22 Not been to Chatsworth either but would like to. Can’t say I’ve been to any stately homes or NT property.
No I haven’t been to many either, those I have seem to be a bit ‘samey’ - and not keen on formal gardens either.
Having been to Versailles several times I think has spoiled me for looking around the ones here. Although I believe Chatsworth would come fairly high up the ranking.

Not Greys Court or Cliveden ?

Very different but both are worth visiting …
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

We treated ourselves to lifetime membership of the NT and have just broken even so all visits are now free. We visit the local places quite frequently as there is always something different to see in the gardens. The decorated houses at Christmas are also often very interesting. The volunteer guides are unfailingly well informed and helpful.

Traditionalists like us do have some issues with the NT and their preoccupation with certain causes but their attempts to attract younger people and families must be necessary to ensure a longer term future.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:13 Not Greys Court or Cliveden ?

Oh yes, know Greys Court - the owner is ex-Gurds as was late OH, so visited quite often….. Cliveden - yes been there too, different, yes, but neither remotely comparable to Versailles :) although the garden at Greys is very attractive.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I don't understand - what is it with "'ding" instead of Reading.
Do we now have children running the place?
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Chatsworth is about 8 miles from us, we drive through the estate whenever we travel north to avoid Bakewell and Buxton but only visited the house itself once back in 1974 as old buildings (apart from industrial ones) don't do much for either of us. The violin painted on a door was good though and the grounds are fabulous. Haddon Hall is even closer but neither of us have ever been there apart from when I purchased a vintage compressor from one of the estate farms a few years ago, it is used a lot for filming period dramas.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:49 I don't understand - what is it with "'ding" instead of Reading.
Jaunty slang?
As for the second question - hmm maybe - children who are still learning how to manage their pocket money :whistle1:
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Sitting in the bar of the pub in Mortimer with a cup of proper coffee waiting for youngling to finish. :-)
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Visited Chatsworth in the 1980s, and it was very impressive. The woman in the gift shop was so very pleasant and knowledgeable. It was only after that I realised it was the Duchess of Devonshire. Now dead, she always took a great interest in the house
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

mikejee wrote: 22 Jun 2022 22:32 Visited Chatsworth in the 1980s, and it was very impressive. The woman in the gift shop was so very pleasant and knowledgeable. It was only after that I realised it was the Duchess of Devonshire. Now dead, she always took a great interest in the house
Both the Duchess and the Duke at that time were very hands on, they were well liked by the staff and many of Mrs W's relatives lived and worked on the estate and still live in tied cottages now they have retired. It was the Duchess who actually saved Chatsworth, it had fallen into dissrepair as the Cavendish 'family home' was actually in Yorkshire but she spotted the potential and planned its ressurection into the jewel of the county that it is now. In the late eighties they held a large steam rally on the estate, very successfull but it wasn't repeated and rumour has it that a group of steam lads were a little worse for wear of an evening and took the mickey out of an elderly chap wandering the grounds. That chap was the Duke.....no more rallies.. :banghead: Both had a sad early married life with four children who died soon after birth but they overcame that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_C ... Devonshire

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good Morrow To All

What an odd start – it was bright / sunny with just a few wispy clouds at first, sat here now in Basingstoke and its got darker / overcast!

Drive in was all clear / good with just one numpty - on DC approaching the end / roundabout and an Astra driver came alongside in L2 (he’d been hogging it for as far back as I could see him) but was running out of road so did wonder what he was going to try so was ready to get out the way
Last second he braked very hard, I out-braked him and safely slipped through the junction – he ‘lurched’ through from L2 and came up closed behind me!
Had to laugh at Basingstoke as going into the DC section there I went for L1.........for a reason, he raced up L2 only to get baulked as it was a slow queue of cars, I cruised up L1 passing them so he cut back across behind me and raced again, then stupidly went off left at the next junction..............so why did he go out to L2 before that as wouldn’t have got back over without dropping back again?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

D5equj5 wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:49 I don't understand - what is it with "'ding" instead of Reading.
It’s been about a long time now as a modernism term for Reading..............The Ding
Mostly use by youngsters and those older who think they are ‘hip’

Never sure how it started, but there’s an info web site called The Ding which gives wiki type info about the town
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Wasn’t sure where to post this so decided on here

The stretch of A33 between the monument and Wellington Arms has been resurfaced but TBH its odd
Those responsible went along a while back and cut out large patches / stretches to clear potholes etc, these where filled / smoothed and banded – and a nice job
But the ‘top’ covering’ just laid (which I didn’t think required) is so thin you can still see the patches ‘through it’ you can also see lettering / lines that haven’t been re-painted yet showing though – so not sure how long it will last
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, warming up already. Off to see the nurse this morning to have a leg dressed, then back in time for the carer's arrival. Medical supplies arriving via DPD between 12.21 and 13.21 then some more welding to do and hopefully that will complete that job. Hairdresser booked for arriving pm tomorrow, the first trim of the year for both of us so the kitchen carpet will look decidedly wooly after she departs!

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
It rains.
I'm sure there are things I need to be getting on with today, I just can't think what they were / are. I'll go and see the doc (appointment) and see if the walk in the rain wakes me.
pip pip
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:43
Mayfield wrote: 22 Jun 2022 19:13 Not Greys Court or Cliveden ?

Oh yes, know Greys Court - the owner is ex-Gurds as was late OH, so visited quite often….. Cliveden - yes been there too, different, yes, but neither remotely comparable to Versailles :) although the garden at Greys is very attractive.
The attraction ofNT properties is that they are different, each has its own highs and lows, frankly the catering at Greys is the pits afaiac . One I liked a lot was Hughendon, they discovered, quite by chance, that it was a mapping hub during WW2 . Just seeing how many local airfields we had was interesting…All secret - no one said anything and it was only a guide that overheard an elderly gentleman talking his adult son, that discovered what activities had taken place there.
Cliveden has a really rich history too of course - but better known…

No they are not like Versailles - that’s the beauty of it, they are different… (

One reason we stay members is that very often you can find an NT property within a mile or so of a main route, they are more pleasant than most service stations and make a decent break. Montacute is a favourite for this. I often meet a friend at Stourhead too - it’s the closest to halfway to both our houses and has lovely grounds to walk around….

Having said that as an organisation I think they have slightly lost their way and belong to ‘Restore Trust’

Finishing some mandarin and lemon verbena marmalade today …hope it stays cool 🙂
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) grey and cloudy, but no rain.
Mayfield wrote: 23 Jun 2022 10:52 ….frankly the catering at Greys is the pits afaiac…
…our visits were organised by the Guards Association, so on a more personal basis - and the food was very good :) as with many other similar places, where there was/is a Guards connection.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Getting blooming hot here now, a warning has been issued regarding animals getting burned paws due to hot patios etc and we have had a large heath fire on land about a mile away above and behind us which they are battling to control. Hopefully it should cool down tomorrow. Nurse applied a dressing to my leg and gave me some spare pads etc, seeing her again on tuesday to see how things are progressing. "How long has your leg been like this? she asked, 'oh about a year or more' I told her. "typical man" she replied shaking her head, "and it looks sightly misshapen as well". 'Oh I set my trousers alight with an angle grinder back in the early 2000's and it was burned' and she asked what treatment I had on it. 'None, I never bothered about it and it healed over eventually'. I don't think she was too impressed with my actions, or lack of them! :whistle1:

Pete.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I disparity of you sometimes .windy, I really do 🙄🤪😂
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 23 Jun 2022 12:38 I disparity of you sometimes .windy, I really do 🙄🤪😂
Haha, I don't like a lot of being fussed over vot. :-)

Pete.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

windrush wrote: 23 Jun 2022 13:10
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 23 Jun 2022 12:38 I disparity of you sometimes .windy, I really do 🙄🤪😂
Haha, I don't like a lot of being fussed over vot. :-)

Pete.
Just a bit, then, eh 😉
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Mrs D wants me to collect a 12ft steel farm gate from Wooton Basset on Sunday. These days I drive a vw polo or a moped :roflol3: I have panniers on the moped and the polo does not have a roof rack. :shrug1:
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

What does Mrs D drive ?

Wouldn’t someone towing a horse box do a better job ?

Return to “Chatty Person”