Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

chat about the town here ...
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Re: Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

Post by BOY RACER »

I apologise to other members of this forum but I will not be swayed in my opinion that RBC is a ugh! Council.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

BOY RACER wrote: 22 May 2022 21:08
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 May 2022 20:57
BOY RACER wrote: 22 May 2022 20:07

So what you are saying is that Reading Borough Council are totally innocent in this matter and that it is all wokingham’s fault that for 60 years Reading have sat back and done nothing and just allowed Reading to Rot. I understand the geography of the problem but I still maintain Reading could have done more to ease their traffic problem. But they have done nothing except prohibit and fine. That I do not believe is the answer to the problem.
No, but it does fill their coffers nicely, doesn’t it...... :whistle1:
I agree VoT so what does RBC spend the money on other than cycle lanes.

Certainly didn’t spend it on hiring fast accountants, do they.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

piwacket wrote: 21 May 2022 20:36
windrush wrote: 21 May 2022 20:14 Wrexham was awarded city status partly because of the Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney taking control of their football team and the success that they are currently having. Also it is the third oldest professional football team in the world and locals have been hoping for years that the town would eventually be recognized for that.
Pete.
City status - because of a Football team :)) so it’s all about culture then - well no wonder Reading didn’t win!

Wondering what Hooped thinks of that?
Given that the criteria for achieving city status remain unknown, I can only suppose that the reasons for Wrexham's success are equally unknown. However, to put this into context, Wrexham F.C. are currently a non-league club, with a one-in-four chance of getting promoted to the fourth tier of English football within the next couple of weeks via the play-offs. They lost in the FA Trophy (the non-league equivalent of the FA Cup) final to Bromley yesterday. They may be experiencing a revival in their fortunes, but to describe them as successful is rose-tinted optimism. That may change in the next few weeks, but unless the judging panel have access to a TARDIS, I doubt the football club has contributed to the elevation to city status. It's much more likely that they had to include a Welsh town and Wrexham is the obvious candidate.

Reading are the fourth oldest club in the English Football League / Premier League. They set a record in 2006 by winning promotion to the Premier League with 106 points. Despite a series of questionable owners since Sir John Madejski sold up, they remain in the second tier of English football. The last 20 years have been the most successful in the club's 150 year history by a country mile.

I've never been to Wrexham and don't recall ever meeting a supporter of their club. However, if Windrush's observation that the locals have long been hoping that their status as the third oldest professional club in the world would lead to recognition is true, then it compares sharply with the attitude of the majority of locals in Reading, whose stance on their town's club in its 150th anniversary year could be summed up as "apathetic." Reading - the town - continues to benefit from its proximity to London. Reading FC continue to suffer from that proximity, as it's so easy to get a train into the capital to see one of the various Premier League sides. Also, there are so many people living and working in Reading who don't consider it to be their home town.

If the judging panel had visited the various candidate towns and engaged in conversation with the locals on the subject of civic pride, it's hardly surprising that Reading remains a town.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

BR - As others have pointed out it doesn’t all fall on RBC’s shoulders - In answer to
clarify on your well put points
1. IDR - yes it was planned to have a different route (thankfully never happened as would have meant destroying most of Forbury Gdns) but also stopped due to lack of funds at the time, by the time money was available, due to other development it was all replanned to what we have now - yes it does work but I do feel it could be better
And at least we don’t have the stupid idea where one councillor wanted to make it ‘One-Way’ (rotating ACW) all the way round, just so part of it could be ‘decked over’ and that was all though back-handers!
Adding the stupid junction onto the ‘new’ A33 was never planned for and does mess it up as well
2. There have been / are PnR schemes but they are all outside the RBC border as sadly there isn’t room within to build them within the confines of the town, and if built that close would be pointless anyway!
3. Third Reading Bridge - the one that has been ‘on the books’ since the 50’s - will never happen whilst Oxford is involved, WBC used to be against it, but then agreed a good idea when Central Government said it should happen - then went and built The Waterside Centre right where the road for the bridge was originally planned to go over the river.............
And oxford still won’t budge - RBC has been petitioning them, backed by CG for years but still no agreement - can’t do much else than that!
4. The idea of a ‘bypass’ was dropped way back because as you rightly say the M4 does that - its why the IDR was decided upon instead
There are also the alternate North /South routes of M4/A34 or M4/A404 both of which have been improved over the years
Yes Lower Earley comes under WBC so Reading didn’t get a say / involvement in it

As for ‘Alternate route signs’ they were discussed a few years back and some ‘matrix’ signs did go up, - I think Reading was one of the first to do so - there’s one along London Rd but not seen it used for a while, one in use is down Southampton St as you approach the IDR but only as a general sign - and the development of Satnavs that give alternate routes stopped makes them superfluous these days - don’t think you will find many signs like it anywhere else either

Totally agree about the councils ‘political’ changes cocking the traffic layout up - years ago I was on the consultancy group for Reading traffic but it was soon dropped when control changed as too many ‘good ideas’

Generally as town we have a simple problem - it’s too small an area the RBC controls, adjoin councils aren’t interested / ride roughshod over us (hate to say the number of anti-plan objections I and many others have made that WBC reject as ‘Not in WBC area’ - Brakes etc at Suttons are good examples of that) but if Reading propose anything around the borders then the bother councils do tend to ‘group together’ and push for things not to happen - and I think it will always be like that unfortunately!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

OLDMAN wrote: 23 May 2022 13:21
Generally as town we have a simple problem - it’s too small an area the RBC controls, adjoin councils aren’t interested / ride roughshod over us (hate to say the number of anti-plan objections I and many others have made that WBC reject as ‘Not in WBC area’ - Brakes etc at Suttons are good examples of that) but if Reading propose anything around the borders then the bother councils do tend to ‘group together’ and push for things not to happen - and I think it will always be like that unfortunately!
:goodposting:
And there’s not enough money to make major changes. I doubt whichever party ran RBC much would change. Reading is an ok to good place for many people and businesses seem to like it. Maybe because it isn’t considered in need of levelling up that is one reason why it didn’t get city status. I say let’s give a one or two fingered salute to the city awards committee and nothing more to do with them.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Had a smile when I read a few news links on FB, seems all the other towns that bid but didn’t get city status are all saying the same.......’why not us?’

And it doesn’t seem to be related to any reason as such!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Forgot - should have posted this earlier as did some digging - made me smile.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I think that when the IDR was actually planned, the responsibility for the roads was BCC?
Much of the info available on line is either “looking back” newspaper articles that simply refer to “the council” or wrongly assume it was RBC. Not helped by the newspaper staff quite likely being in Manchester

It’s quite likely that the M4 was moved from North to South due to Oxfordshire having a “word” with CG.
It’s a shame it couldn’t be linked by agreement by local authorities.

As OM says, Reading is effectively full to bursting and can’t do much about P&R.
Maybe better use of the local railway stations with car parking might help filter people into town?
Apart from Earley, I am not familiar with smaller stations.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pretty well spot on

RBC started in 1974, up until then it was all BCC

The IDR was planned 1960s and the first part opened in 1969, when they then run out of money
It was RBC who got funds to finish if off and the last part opened in 1989 - but as said a lot of other developments had happened that got ‘in the way’ so never as per original design
And don’t forget the M4 stretch past Reading was opened in 1971/72 so became a Reading ‘by-pass’ and why the ‘new’ A33 was built as access in/out of the town for it later on

Forgot to add as well - the Oracle / car-park etc was also a problem as they changed the lane layout over the flyover where it joins bottom of London St to allow for traffic leaving the Oracle, that causes hold-ups, still does
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 May 2022 11:41 RBC started in 1974, up until then it was all BCC
Not quite.

Prior to 1974, Reading was a County Borough, with pretty much the same powers it has now as a unitary authority. Berkshire County Council ran the rest of what was then Berkshire, but had no say in Reading.

Between 1974 and 1998, Reading was a second tier district authority within Berkshire, with Berkshire County Council making all the important decisions, including transport and education. Reading got to run parks and a few things like that, but nothing really significant.

From 1998, Reading has been a unitary authority, back to taking all the important decisions.
rolew
Super Contributor

Post by rolew »

I reckon the reason Reading will never become a city is because Queen Victoria left instructions to her descendants. We all know what Queen Victoria thought of Reading.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Well the pigeons like her
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

rolew wrote: 24 May 2022 19:18 I reckon the reason Reading will never become a city is because Queen Victoria left instructions to her descendants. We all know what Queen Victoria thought of Reading.
According to this, she never visited the town

https://www.getreading.co.uk/lifestyle/ ... er%20reign.

And this
https://www.lovebritishhistory.co.uk/20 ... egend.html
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yep - another urban myth!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Reading talk”