ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
dave m
Super Contributor

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by dave m »

They are installing a mobile phone mast.
They only close 9.30 (?). To 4.00
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 21 Apr 2022 08:12
chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Apr 2022 11:17 As of 9.30 this morning, the short section of Whiteknights Road between the University's Earley Gate and the Wilderness Road mini-roundabout is closed in both directions. Whiteknights Road is still open from the other end (Upper Redlands Road/Eastern Avenue) as far as the Earley Gate, and you can access it from Wokingham Road via Holmes Road or other connecting streets. Lots of people obviously caught unawares and having to u-turn. I think this closure is scheduled to last until midnight on Friday.
Didn’t notice night before but last night it was all open?
Yes. The entry on one.network just says O9:30 on Tue to 23:59 on Fri, with no suggestion of it being part-time. But in practice it only seems to be closed during the day, closing after the AM peak and reopening in time for the PM peak. Certainly closed about an hour ago.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

According to this article
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... r-23746495
temporary lights in Caversham are going to remain in place until May 10th as cables are laid along Church Street, St Peter's Hill and Woodcote Road ...
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Don't try to go anywhere near Henley at the moment. Henley Bridge is closed in both directions due to an accident. Congestion everywhere, as far out as Marlow and Sonning, as people try to find alternatives.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Heads up if don’t already know

Wilderness Rd is now closed (15th to 21st) for re-surfacing
But stupid as they are also closing Lower Early Way at Cutbush Ln roundabout overnight to do the same
Plus there are loads more roadworks in the area during the next week or so

WBC planning at its best (joke)!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

According to a post on FB from the council, the works on Wilderness Road are 9am-3pm so should not affect the overnight closure of the Cutbush Lane roundabout on Lower Earley Way. The link (for those that can see FB) is
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ah that’s more informative, I’ve gone on the signs along the road and the posting on One Network, none of which gives those times, just the dates...and

It does seem WBC make it long winded to find this sort of info, especially if you read the FB comments etc about the LEW roundabout and other closures etc!
That’s where I got the bit about it all clashing from..................
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Reading bridge news. It was open northbound this morning so presumably closed southbound for a couple of days.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

spectrum64 wrote: 15 Jun 2022 15:01 Reading bridge news. It was open northbound this morning so presumably closed southbound for a couple of days.
Amazing isn't it. When Reading Hydro, a tiny community interest company, wanted to get a cable across the Thames not far downstream from Reading Bridge, they used a drill rig to drill under the river. Nobody was in the slightest inconvenienced, and it couldn't have cost that much because they wouldn't have been able to afford it if it had.

But when CityFibre, a massive company with financing well into the billions, wants to do something similar, it gets to close one of the two bridges over the river, thus maximising the inconvenience to all its potential customers and causing untold economic damage to the town. Why?.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I avoided Wilderness Rd last night as not long after the ‘official’ opening time so went via Lower Early Way and up / along Wokingham Rd etc so’s not to get caught out
Not much coming out of Wilderness at the Three Tuns so either not fully open or people avoiding it

But – couldn’t believe how little they had done as went up there this morning
They managed to do all our road in one day, and that’s about twice the area they done in Wilderness!
.................and worse could here machinery going all night and thought it was that, maybe not
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I think Wilderness is being done from Pepper lane to the Tuns?
yesterday they'd got as far as Beech Lane.

Still loads of people driving through and round barriers trying to get through.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Some people just like to think that the rules don't apply to them.

Someone was saying in one of the local FB groups that they were chatting to one of the road surfacing team on Wilderness Road.

The roadworker was shocked at the speed people were driving in Gypsy Lane, Silverdale Road, Rushey Way etc. He said that his (national) company have had 4 deaths in the last 4 weeks, and that they need to close the roads for workman safety and for the surface to 'go off'.

The same people who ignore the "Road Closed" signs are probably the same ones that moan about the state of the roads. Doesn't mean that they should put peoples lives at risk.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We had a main A road closed recently, just one of many due to burst watermains, and traffic was still getting past by using the pavement despite Police warnings. One Severn Trent worker was knocked down by a Range Rover and broke his hip so the work then stopped for a day which delayed opening even more.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Fed-up wrote: 15 Jun 2022 09:02 According to a post on FB from the council, the works on Wilderness Road are 9am-3pm so should not affect the overnight closure of the Cutbush Lane roundabout on Lower Earley Way. The link (for those that can see FB) is
Well that was wrong then. I've just taken an hour, between 8pm and 9pm, to get from the Showcase roundabout to the A33/M4 roundabout. I'd forgotten about the Lower Earley Way closure, and got diverted off into deepest Lower Earley half away along. No diversion guidance signs, so I ended up playing turn left at every junction until you find the maze exit.

And when I did find the exit, four or five u turns later, it was the back of an enormous queue down Elm Lane to the Beech Lane roundabout, which had a ferocious four way traffic lights on it.

Well done WBC, you win the prize for the most artistic bit of traffic congestion creation I have come across in a long while.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

You can thank Vodafone for the four way traffic lights on the roundabout of Elm Lane and Elm Road. Looks like they are there until 23rd June.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 16 Jun 2022 13:08 I avoided Wilderness Rd last night as not long after the ‘official’ opening time so went via Lower Early Way and up / along Wokingham Rd etc so’s not to get caught out
Not much coming out of Wilderness at the Three Tuns so either not fully open or people avoiding it

But – couldn’t believe how little they had done as went up there this morning
They managed to do all our road in one day, and that’s about twice the area they done in Wilderness!
.................and worse could here machinery going all night and thought it was that, maybe not
Had a thought – the work being done is during the day so WTF the noise at night was now has me wondering!
It was quiet last night
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 16 Jun 2022 16:16 Some people just like to think that the rules don't apply to them.

Someone was saying in one of the local FB groups that they were chatting to one of the road surfacing team on Wilderness Road.

The roadworker was shocked at the speed people were driving in Gypsy Lane, Silverdale Road, Rushey Way etc. He said that his (national) company have had 4 deaths in the last 4 weeks, and that they need to close the roads for workman safety and for the surface to 'go off'.

The same people who ignore the "Road Closed" signs are probably the same ones that moan about the state of the roads. Doesn't mean that they should put peoples lives at risk.
I heard on this morning’s news the driver who went up a closed lane on the A4 at Theale and hit a worker (broke both his legs plus) has been jailed

Link to GR report - https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... source=nba
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Jun 2022 21:11
Well that was wrong then. I've just taken an hour, between 8pm and 9pm, to get from the Showcase roundabout to the A33/M4 roundabout. I'd forgotten about the Lower Earley Way closure, and got diverted off into deepest Lower Earley half away along. No diversion guidance signs, so I ended up playing turn left at every junction until you find the maze exit.

And when I did find the exit, four or five u turns later, it was the back of an enormous queue down Elm Lane to the Beech Lane roundabout, which had a ferocious four way traffic lights on it.

Well done WBC, you win the prize for the most artistic bit of traffic congestion creation I have come across in a long while.
Snap, got caught in it all last night as well - odd with LEW as that's supposed to be at night, I came along at 4:20pm and it was queuing then , so maybe another problem as well!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”