One E Scooter Rider Fined - Just The One!

chat about the town here ...
Stewart
Super Contributor

One E Scooter Rider Fined - Just The One!

Post by Stewart »

At last one person fined for using a powered scooter. Being found guilty of not having an MOT, tax, license or insurance. It begs the question why him? Anyone caught doing this is committing a criminal offence and can be prosecuted.

If found guilty, the penalty can be a fine of £300 and up to six points on your driving licence if you have one.

This particular young man, aged 19, was fined £160. In addition to this, he was told to pay a £34 victim surcharge and £85 in court fees. His driving record was endorsed with six points.

E-scooters qualify as ‘powered transporters’ and must have MOT, tax, licensing and insurance. It just bothers me that car and motorcycle drivers have to pay and have in place insurance etc, whilst the powered E Cycle users seem to think they have no need.

Yet I see at least 10 or so every day where I live in Caversham, and have nearly collided with one recently. And many more each day in central Reading.

I can see the attraction, they are cheap, fast and can go on road or pavements. But nevertheless are dangerous, in the extreme.

There are pilot schemes in place In areas where government trials allow you to hire e-scooters for legal use, such as in Oxford or Buckinghamshire, riders must lease the scooters from companies with relevant motor insurance. Riders must also be over 16, hold a full provisional driving licence, and drive them on public roads and cycle lanes but not on pavements.

Why are not more stopped and fined? Are the police that busy? Or are there two few? They are quick enough to put in place speed checks but not stop and fine E Scooter users. Just saying…
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Re: One E Scooter Rider Fined - Just The One!

Post by spectrum64 »

I imagine there are practical difficulties. A policeman on foot or in a car couldn't chase them along footpaths if they choose not to stop. According to the paper in this case the chap was travelling up the side of the A33 so presumably a police car stopped him. It does give the impression that the police are concerned if someone is riding alongside a main road and not too bothered if they are racing along footpaths.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

There are several people in the area who have Chinese internal combustion engines fitted to push bikes.
One that I have seen certainly allowed the bike to pull a near vertical wheelie and sounded like a chainsaw in a metal box.

Golden rule of motorcycles is to never upgrade a bike without also doing the brakes. The motorised bicycles never boost their brakes, so good luck stopping from 30mph with a bit more weight on the bike.

Scooters could be good if they were speed limited (some places disable the speed restrictions) and registers, plus maybe generating some kind of noise that isn’t too intrusive.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’m surprised the riders don’t have to wear safety helmets, they’re just as vulnerable as cyclists.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

dave m wrote: 13 May 2022 09:09 There are several people in the area who have Chinese internal combustion engines fitted to push bikes.
Literally just had one flash past me 5 minutes ago - the second one I’ve seen in less than a week. These are near silent, and quick, so I don’t know what they have as an engine, but they are fast.....
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Not sure where this one was, but I’ve heard of many that have been have been many caught / fined etc - a quick internet search brings up loads
I do know in Reading they are just impounding the scooters / never to be returned, as that costs a lot more to the owner
But as others mention, as so many about its difficult to police in general
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

As OM says, the tactic favoured by the Police seems to be to issue on the spot fines and/or confiscate eScooters rather than dragging the owner through the court system. If you look at the TVP social media feeds you will see a number of examples of this.

I wonder what this rider did to get hauled all the way through the court system which is a costly and time consuming process?
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Publicity, Fed-up? A warning that they can and do take people to court. Even a random selection of doing so may put some people off.

I quite like scooters, wouldn’t mind one myself BUT they need to be regulated, possibly speed restricted to, say 15mph, made to use cycle lane/road side, legalised and yes licensed too. I know there’s are difficulties doing that, but as a concept if they’re not just a fashion fad then I can see uses for them.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I thought the only ones that were legal to ride on the roads were the hired ones, in which case impounding them wouldn’t punish the rider.
BY Paulo Coelho
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

If you are riding your own eScooter and it is impounded and destroyed by the police then it will cost the owner several hundred pounds to replace it, should the owner wish. An expensive lesson learnt.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

There’s numerous around Woodley that we see when shopping - on the pavements- and the pavement along Reading Rd is particularly narrow! Very often riding in Contra-flow to the road traffic. :?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Let me get this straight, if you own an escooter I thought you couldn’t legally ride it on a public road or the pavement, the only ones legal on the roads are hired from the council and you have to have a DL to take them. Isn’t that right?
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

lizwing wrote: 13 May 2022 17:34 Let me get this straight, if you own an escooter I thought you couldn’t legally ride it on a public road or the pavement, the only ones legal on the roads are hired from the council and you have to have a DL to take them. Isn’t that right?
Not sure about needing a DL as I’ve not tried to hire one, but the rest of your post is also my understanding of current situation.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

So if the only ones legally on the roads are hired, which they should be, impounding them wouldn’t punish the driver.
BY Paulo Coelho
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

This BBC article explains it all.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617
They look fun, but I think I’ll stick to a bike. On the pavement is definitely a no-no, like bikes. On cycle paths ok. The problem with on the roads is that to my mind they look like a pedestrian in the road and the reaction is alarm and to brake, whereas when you see a cyclist most of us know how to react and pass them. Maybe, if they are allowed we’ll get used to them, but surely not on the A33, where the fined guy was fined.

I maybe wrong, but I think they’re a fad and that they look very unstable. I followed a guy on a folding e-bike down Caversham Road, and he was wobbling around, and then I saw the wheels were much smaller than most folding bikes. And he didn’t seem to be peddling at all, which I thought you had to on all e-bikes, otherwise they were classed as motor vehicles.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Small wheels never a good thing. The bigger the better. In days of the Mods and Rockers, I remember lots of nasty motor scooter accidents in the wet, which were put down to their small wheels.

In my childhood, no one over 4 or 5 years old would be seen dead on a push scooter. It was definitely transport for toddlers, so it seems really strange to see teens and adults on them now, powered or not.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

If you are in possession of a hired vehicle (car/scooter etc) and it is impounded for your legal transgression, you continue to pay the hire charges. So any credit card used for deposit will be charged or you could be chased in the courts
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Ah yes I see.
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

But I dont think that is really relevant here, as , to my knowledge there is no legal scheme in Reading. Here every single irritating kid (many of whom are quite young), are poncing around on the things illegally whether they are on the road or the pavement
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Talking of small wheeled bicycles, I can confirm that the smaller the wheel the more difficult they are to steer. This one being the worst I've ridden - http://a-bike.co.uk/ - absolutely mad to ride and definitely not one for hand signals in busy areas/traffic.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I agree, if you go under a certain size then steering is affected but it’s also down to frame geometry / head angle
Years ago I had a Moulton (wish still had it as around £5-600 to buy these days) and that had smallish wheels at 16’’ and was very stable, even when ‘dirt tracking!’
A mate had a Raleigh Shopper that had the same size but with a fat profile (and oddly white) - they got dropped on later models and went to 20’’ diameter / normal profile ones, my mother had one for years

Only thing I food with smaller wheels was more effort to peddle!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

OLDMAN wrote: 16 May 2022 09:57 I agree, if you go under a certain size then steering is affected but it’s also down to frame geometry / head angle
Years ago I had a Moulton (wish still had it as around £5-600 to buy these days) and that had smallish wheels at 16’’ and was very stable, even when ‘dirt tracking!’
A mate had a Raleigh Shopper that had the same size but with a fat profile (and oddly white) - they got dropped on later models and went to 20’’ diameter / normal profile ones, my mother had one for years

I think that price of yours is a bit out of date, unless the dash was meant to be a comma. Cheapest one is £1,500. Most expensive £20,000.

I seem to remember, from my school physics days, holding a spinning bike wheel by the axle to show us the effort required to change its direction. The bigger the harder to turn.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I used an endearing vintage 3 speed Puch shopping bike at work, to dash into the town and grab lunch.
It had moderately small fat tyres and was a bit twitchy on the steering but that made it very agile for small alleyways and foot bridges. I left it behind for my successor.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

MickEdge wrote: 16 May 2022 10:31
OLDMAN wrote: 16 May 2022 09:57 I agree, if you go under a certain size then steering is affected but it’s also down to frame geometry / head angle

I think that price of yours is a bit out of date, unless the dash was meant to be a comma. Cheapest one is £1,500. Most expensive £20,000.

I seem to remember, from my school physics days, holding a spinning bike wheel by the axle to show us the effort required to change its direction. The bigger the harder to turn.
Blimey you had me wondering then, I was right but I and talking about a 1970’s model, the go for that money nowadays
As for the new ones - Yes your figures show how silly the prices are!
Funny bit was just looking at the website etc, and it shows heritage images which reminded me I fitted mine with drop handlebars like the racing ones of the time!

And yes I remember the test with a wheels gyroscopic effect with the bigger wheels giving more force and thus balance - I think that’s why smaller wheels are worse, but size as such just less gyroscopic effect helping balance, it also doesn’t help they have very narrow bars so not a lot of leverage - I’ve tried riding one and didn’t feel stable in any way until up to speed, slow felt very dodgy
Other problem with small wheels is they don’t ride ‘over’ things that well so get knocked off track easily
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Reading talk”