Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

piwacket

Re: Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 10 May 2022 19:55 A lot of wheat comes from the Ukraine Pi.
Pete.
Oh OK… maybe if our farmers grew wheat instead of solar panels …. :whistle1:

Must admit I so rarely buy flour, and even then only a small pack that lasts for ages, I haven’t noticed.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s bread flour I use Pi, I’m not a pie maker but OH does like home made bread.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I don’t understand why but for the last few weeks there’s been no frozen broccoli in our local Tesco, isn’t it grown in the UK? Is it delivery problems ? Is it the war in Ukraine? Brexit?
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Veg shortages are affected by the serious droughts in Greece and in Spain Liz, I haven't been able to get frozen broccoli from Morrisons for a while now.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Ah thanks Pete that’ll be it then. Why don’t we grow it here?
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 06 Jun 2022 18:42 I don’t understand why but for the last few weeks there’s been no frozen broccoli in our local Tesco, isn’t it grown in the UK? Is it delivery problems ? Is it the war in Ukraine? Brexit?
Why do you - or Pete -m want frozen broccoli? Why not buy fresh?
Or if it’s too large a piece, Blanche quickly and freeze it yourself (for another day). There’s plenty of fresh, or Tenderstem (which we prefer).
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I suppose I just like to keep it in the freezer so I can take out what I need. Now I’m not eating potatoes I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower instead. I could buy fresh and do as you suggest but I can’t be bothered. Although I might have to.
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We use frozen veg for convenience, and also restuarants etc prefer it as it's frozen when fresh whereas if left unused for a week or two tends to go off.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 06 Jun 2022 20:10 I suppose I just like to keep it in the freezer so I can take out what I need. Now I’m not eating potatoes I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower instead. I could buy fresh and do as you suggest but I can’t be bothered. Although I might have to.
It only takes a minute or s to blanche-leave to cool and maybe do as I do - and pack away in portions of 2. Doing it myself I think it tastes better than the bought stuff…. such seems to have a sort of metallic flavour…
windrush wrote: 06 Jun 2022 20:31 ….also restuarants etc prefer it as it's frozen when fresh whereas if left unused for a week or two tends to go off.
Pete.
… well yes it will go off :shrug1: but I’d have thought a restaurant would use at least 1 head per day?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 06 Jun 2022 19:05 Veg shortages are affected by the serious droughts in Greece and in Spain Liz, I haven't been able to get frozen broccoli from Morrisons for a while now.

Pete.
Only thing we had problems with due to this is no courgettes!

And oddly tinned chilli beef (we keep a tin handy for those odd occasions) - but even more odd is some shops (mostly local ones) don't have any, whilst others have loads?

I guess its down to the shop / stock holding /demand as I've had the same with Camembert, the local Aldi rarely has any but I can buy it in others branches, or other shops?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

No substitutions on our recent Waitrose order and last week their Oxford Rd shelves ok, apart from the biscuits I wanted, but importantly there was plenty of Prosecco and on offer.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

MickEdge wrote: 07 Jun 2022 08:43 No substitutions on our recent Waitrose order and last week their Oxford Rd shelves ok, apart from the biscuits I wanted, but importantly there was plenty of Prosecco and on offer.
The Alledged noticed the price difference between M and S Prosecco and Waitrose Mick - worth getting the offer as there’s a christening soon. Have to say, I know it’s trendy but I’m not keen on Prosecco. Don’t like gin either but hey, I’m :offtopic1: :roflol3:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Cardiac
Super Contributor

Post by Cardiac »

Empty shelves, well there was one empty shelf after OH called into Sainsbury's Red wine reduced to £6 from £10
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Jun 2022 07:46 And oddly tinned chilli beef (we keep a tin handy for those odd occasions) - but even more odd is some shops (mostly local ones) don't have any, whilst others have loads?
What’s that? Never seen those… I use fresh mince.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 07 Jun 2022 11:44
OLDMAN wrote: 07 Jun 2022 07:46 And oddly tinned chilli beef (we keep a tin handy for those odd occasions) - but even more odd is some shops (mostly local ones) don't have any, whilst others have loads?
What’s that? Never seen those… I use fresh mince.
We normally do if a planned meal, and left in a slow cooker for a while but if fancy a snack / not cooking too much, or nothing else ready then a tin of Chili Beef heated up and poured over nachos or in wraps with some veg / grated cheese takes minutes to do – better than a take-away
Out favourite is Stagg, especially the very hot one, but there are many others on the market, just not in so many shops for some odd reason though!
https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/pro ... 20Products#

Just noticed how much it is on there - never paid that for a can - usually under £2!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Jun 2022 12:48
We normally do if a planned meal, and left in a slow cooker for a while but if fancy a snack>….
Thanks, that’s useful to know - I’ll look out for it in Waitrose.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Should have added we often use it on jacket potatoes, which is where the last tin went

You can also get the same but with a taco bean mix so all veg!

We usually have a tin of each in the cupboard for the odd occasions required, plus a tin of chilli kidney beans, and can mix together if wanted – or we use either of the beans in the main chilli cooked from scratch
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Jun 2022 15:49 You can also get the same but with a taco bean mix so all veg!

We usually have a tin of each in the cupboard for the odd occasions required, plus a tin of chilli kidney beans, and can mix together if wanted – or we use either of the beans in the main chilli cooked from scratch
No thanks, I’ll pass on the beans - can’t abide them :) if I have it in a restaurant, I pick them all out!

Return to “Shopping in Reading”