Morgan Road

dave m
Super Contributor

Morgan Road

Post by dave m »

Looks like Reading School want to sell their Morgan Road sports field for housing.
There is a covenant on it, prohibiting any building apart from a cricket pavilion.

I can’t see that it’s beneficial to the locality, and if it was a smart idea to build on that land, the NHS could benefit more to use the site for low level buildings to release pressure on the RBH?

I can’t see the local residents being impressed with either.
piwacket

Re: Morgan Road

Post by piwacket »

Seems very short-sighted to do away with a Sports field for a very good school? Or do they have similar facilities elsewhere?

Of the two options, extending RBH would be the better - although perhaps/probably not give so much cash back? But if the other - then please let it not be blocks of ‘faceless’ apartments!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Reading has the front field, overlooking Erleigh Road.
It's not massive, but not tiny.

It wouldn't surprise me of they sold off the old Boat House near Cow Lane as they may well have moved the boats to the rowing lake before the fire.

It's a bit of a trek, but they could, I suppose, do a deal with the Abbey and use their field .
A Girl's school normally has a different sports field need than a boys.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

dave m wrote: 21 Apr 2022 09:33 Looks like Reading School want to sell their Morgan Road sports field for housing.
There is a covenant on it, prohibiting any building apart from a cricket pavilion.

I can’t see that it’s beneficial to the locality, and if it was a smart idea to build on that land, the NHS could benefit more to use the site for low level buildings to release pressure on the RBH?

I can’t see the local residents being impressed with either.
Especially one ex-councillor / ex-mayor whose partner is still a councillor - if they still live along there (they did last time I spoke to him, but that was nearly 2yrs ago)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It's a big old plot and I'd hate to see it go.
Although I only remember interminable hot afternoons on a cricket field, by the time a ball came near you you had sunstroke and couldn't care
The tennis courts were there as well, and the Scout Hut was wedged in.

If it HAD to go, better for the use of the NHS than development as housing.
You could potentially buy one of the University houses on Redlands (not sure how many remain) and build an access from Redlands Rd

Return to “Property developments in Reading”