chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Has Sharma has had his snout in Putin's trough too

Post by chris_j_wood »

chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Re: Has Sharma has had his snout in Putin's trough too

Post by chris_j_wood »

Here is a link to a list of MPs who have accepted donations from Russians, with sources.

MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

This demonstrates how flawed our democratic system is. I can think of no reason why these anonymous companies and a few individuals, who have no interest in what might be good for the people of this country, would make these donations, other than wanting to influence government policy. Unions funding Labour candidates is far from ideal, but the amounts are smaller and the mechanism for providing it largely transparent and relate to the welfare of a very large number of British people.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Seven years early, though I'm sure everyone will get the general drift.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... rm-ukraine
'Let's Go Brandon'
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

MickEdge wrote: 05 Mar 2022 08:47 This demonstrates how flawed our democratic system is. I can think of no reason why these anonymous companies and a few individuals, who have no interest in what might be good for the people of this country, would make these donations, other than wanting to influence government policy. Unions funding Labour candidates is far from ideal, but the amounts are smaller and the mechanism for providing it largely transparent and relate to the welfare of a very large number of British people.
The Unions still has one man putting his hand up for thousands. Who’s to say he speaks for every single one of them? Doesn’t the Labour Party accept donations too???
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Mar 2022 14:00
MickEdge wrote: 05 Mar 2022 08:47 This demonstrates how flawed our democratic system is. I can think of no reason why these anonymous companies and a few individuals, who have no interest in what might be good for the people of this country, would make these donations, other than wanting to influence government policy. Unions funding Labour candidates is far from ideal, but the amounts are smaller and the mechanism for providing it largely transparent and relate to the welfare of a very large number of British people.
The Unions still has one man putting his hand up for thousands. Who’s to say he speaks for every single one of them? Doesn’t the Labour Party accept donations too???
To my mind there’s a huge difference between the source of some very large donations received by the Conservatives and those Labour get from British unions, whose governance systems follow a clear democratic process. That “one man” will almost certainly had to have the backing of his executive council.

Return to “Reading talk”