BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

General chat forum
Hooped
Super Contributor

Re: BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

Post by Hooped »

Please... don't feed the troll!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve received a police alert and there have been several shed / garage break-ins in Newtown / up into part of East Reading recently

Be aware if you or anyone you know lives in the area and have sheds / garages that are accessible

This often isn’t something that appears in the news
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Hooped wrote: 15 Feb 2022 16:55 Please... don't feed the troll!
Agreed. Baffling you can't mention a crime in case it's reported on.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Thames Valley Police’s alert service is worth registering for and they have a lot of useful tips for protecting your property.
https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 08:43
Are you really that stupid – I’ve just mentioned about some crime in the area, and none have been reported in the news and are only on the TVP alert system which many don’t use

Or did you just ignore my post?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 16 Feb 2022 12:58
Are you really that stupid – I’ve just mentioned about some crime in the area, and none have been reported in the news and are only on the TVP alert system which many don’t use

Yes. The information you mention is here.

https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/da/ ... rhood.html

So to clear things up. Post things like this. If it's later reported in the news, reply with a "we can all read the news". ;-)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 14:17 So to clear things up. Post things like this. If it's later reported in the news, reply with a "we can all read the news". ;-)
What is your problem about understanding the purpose of this Topic? Everyone else seems to get the idea - but you just keep in and on arguing the point.
It’s just to report ‘word-of-mouth’ incidents in local communities to make people aware of ‘happenings’ local to them, to be on the lookout, take precautions and so on.
Serious crimes get reported in the media, we don’t need or want them repeated here.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

On the Nextdoor forum locally people report suspicious activity, not crimes. Or they ask for help or information ie. “has anyone else seen this white van cruising around in ....” or “someone was trying my garage door, be aware”. That’s what this thread is for I’d have thought. No one posted about the young lad who was stabbed in Gloucester because it didn’t affect us personally and we all know that these crimes happen. Now if someone in the village area had been attacked someone would possibly ask for information or they’d warn others what to watch out for.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 16 Feb 2022 17:04 On the Nextdoor forum locally people report suspicious activity, not crimes. Or they ask for help or information ie. “has anyone else seen this white van cruising around in ....” or “someone was trying my garage door, be aware”. That’s what this thread is for I’d have thought.
Yes, that’s it exactly!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 08:43Baffling you can't mention a crime in case it's reported on.
Ignoring the question of whether your inability to comprehend the purpose of this thread is due to deliberate obfuscation or impaired intellectual abilities, may I point out that whilst you may find our rules pettyfoggin', our regulations perplexing and our apparent eccentricities and foibles beyond your ken, Reading Forum does not hold a monopoly on the provision of online discussion facilities for the greater Reading area. You are perfectly welcome, and indeed might be encouraged, to create your own forum on another website where you can set your own rules and witter and rant on about what you fancy, free from the intereference or disapproval of the moderators here. I'm sure you'd have people flocking in droves to "ChipbuttyG's Reading: Lousy Town, Lousy Council webforum" to bemoan the state of the Oxford Road, the lack of IOC-approved aquatic recreation facilities, the inability of the town to be run as if it were a sleepier backwater of Dixon of Dock Green's beat, the alleged dishonesty/hypocrisy/incompetence of our elected officials, and the general decline of the 'Ding in general. And I even promise not to come over and spoil the vibe by posting anything positive! :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Pooneil wrote: 16 Feb 2022 18:32
ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 08:43Baffling you can't mention a crime in case it's reported on.
Ignoring the question of whether your inability to comprehend the purpose of this thread is due to deliberate obfuscation or impaired intellectual abilities, may I point out that whilst you may find our rules pettyfoggin', our regulations perplexing and our apparent eccentricities and foibles beyond your ken, Reading Forum does not hold a monopoly on the provision of online discussion facilities for the greater Reading area. You are perfectly welcome, and indeed might be encouraged, to create your own forum on another website where you can set your own rules and witter and rant on about what you fancy, free from the intereference or disapproval of the moderators here. I'm sure you'd have people flocking in droves to "ChipbuttyG's Reading: Lousy Town, Lousy Council webforum" to bemoan the state of the Oxford Road, the lack of IOC-approved aquatic recreation facilities, the inability of the town to be run as if it were a sleepier backwater of Dixon of Dock Green's beat, the alleged dishonesty/hypocrisy/incompetence of our elected officials, and the general decline of the 'Ding in general. And I even promise not to come over and spoil the vibe by posting anything positive! :wink:
I couldn't have put it better myself.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Ooh bravo Poo. Braaaaavo.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 14:17

So to clear things up. Post things like this. If it's later reported in the news, reply with a "we can all read the news". ;-)
But not everyone gets TVP alerts as you have to register for them so many may not know as not in PUBLIC domain
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote: 16 Feb 2022 18:32
:goodposting: And not forgetting the raft of Face Book groups (many local to area’s) that allows all sorts of rants / swearing / moaning / stupid comments that people who want to make about the town / RBC etc can freely do!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 16 Feb 2022 16:22
ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 14:17 So to clear things up. Post things like this. If it's later reported in the news, reply with a "we can all read the news". ;-)
What is your problem about understanding the purpose of this Topic? Everyone else seems to get the idea - but you just keep in and on arguing the point.
It’s just to report ‘word-of-mouth’ incidents in local communities to make people aware of ‘happenings’ local to them, to be on the lookout, take precautions and so on.
Serious crimes get reported in the media, we don’t need or want them repeated here.
I'm sure you recall the Forbury Gardens murders back in 2020.

There was discussion on here about that without anyone saying "Serious crimes get reported in the media, we don't need or want them repeated on here".
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:01

There was discussion on here about that without anyone saying "Serious crimes get reported in the media, we don't need or want them repeated on here".
Times change. Back then we didn't have a nabob of negativity p***ing off other forum members with a constant drip drip drip of bad news and bad vibes. Now we do, and this is how we feel we have to deal with it.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pooneil wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:14
ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:01

Times change. Back then we didn't have a nabob of negativity p***ing off other forum members with a constant drip drip drip of bad news and bad vibes. Now we do, and this is how we feel we have to deal with it.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Feb 2022 09:49
ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 14:17

But not everyone gets TVP alerts as you have to register for them so many may not know as not in PUBLIC domain
I didn't register. I just went on the TVP alerts website as you can with local newspaper websites.

Also

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... hJujjLqsVo
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Pooneil wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:14
Back then we didn't have a nabob of negativity
[/quote]

Snipped

I am in awe of your wordsmithery Poo. In awe :clap3: :clap3: :-)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Chipbutty - I’m perplexed, the Forbury murders were well before you joined this forum, so my conclusion is that either you are a past member with a new identity, or you are so keen that you have this thread the way you want it that you have trawled the archives, neither of which seems to be compatible with ongoing membership.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:38 Chipbutty - I’m perplexed, the Forbury murders were well before you joined this forum, so my conclusion is that either you are a past member with a new identity, or you are so keen that you have this thread the way you want it that you have trawled the archives, neither of which seems to be compatible with ongoing membership.
The search facility in the top right hand corner is a wonderful thing. I typed in "Forbury stabbing". 1) Because it was a major incident and I knew it must have been talked about 2) We can all read that in the papers so it doesn't need repeating on here right?

Any way - rather than keep this ongoing on this thread ( you'll be pleased to hear)

My conclusion is

It's OK to be negative (Government, Boots pharmacy, Brexit etc etc) just as long as it's not negativity about Reading. And, also depending who you are.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:27 [q

I take it thats you at the front?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

So you had to go and LOOK IT UP, but would you if I hadn’t mentioned it – I doubt it
Likewise do you go on TVP Alert’s to check what’s happening everyday – I doubt it

So YOU wouldn’t have known about it, nor anything else that ‘doesn’t’ get put in the news, just like any others NOT registered on there so ‘don’t’ get to see or hear about it

On a couple of local FB groups there is a guy who regularly reposts the TVPA’s as so many not registered and they do mention that

And that’s what the idea of what this thread is about – or are you really that misunderstanding of it all?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Feb 2022 10:59 So you had to go and LOOK IT UP, but would you if I hadn’t mentioned it – I doubt it
Likewise do you go on TVP Alert’s to check what’s happening everyday – I doubt it

So YOU wouldn’t have known about it, nor anything else that ‘doesn’t’ get put in the news, just like any others NOT registered on there so ‘don’t’ get to see or hear about it

On a couple of local FB groups there is a guy who regularly reposts the TVPA’s as so many not registered and they do mention that

And that’s what the idea of what this thread is about – or are you really that misunderstanding of it all?
People on here didn't know about the Nando's incident in Whitley. They had to LOOK IT UP and still couldn't find it until I posted the link.

No further questions your honour.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Many did know of it, and it was just a one off incident – not a possible cause for concern so not worth the mention at the time as done and dusted – in the past
Unlike the idea of his thread which is to let people know of potential problems in an area
I honestly didn’t think anyone could be so stupid to not understand that idea especially with so many others telling them that fact!
So yes – NO MORE QUESTIONS - nor any other rubbish you seem to come out with
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Feb 2022 11:19 Many did know of it
No they didn't.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I know it’s tempting but don’t feed the troll OM. They’re being argumentative for arguments sake. No one is interested in or cares what they think.

This could be a useful thread for people, but at the moment looks like it’s going the same way as the previous one did (and maybe others by the look of it as well) and will end up locked due to the actions of one selfish person. Some people really have strange ambitions in life.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Feb 2022 12:02 I know it’s tempting but don’t feed the troll OM. They’re being argumentative for arguments sake. No one is interested in or cares what they think.

This could be a useful thread for people, but at the moment looks like it’s going the same way as the previous one did (and maybe others by the look of it as well) and will end up locked due to the actions of one selfish person. Some people really have strange ambitions in life.
Yes. It's rather odd, that on a thread called "Localised criminal activities!" that somebody would want to talk about localised criminal activities.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

For goodness sake, can't one of the Admins do the sensible thing...
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Feb 2022 12:47
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Feb 2022 12:02 I know it’s tempting but don’t feed the troll OM. They’re being argumentative for arguments sake. No one is interested in or cares what they think.

Yes. It's rather odd, that on a thread called "Localised criminal activities!" that somebody would want to talk about localised criminal activities.
It’s only you that’s odd, wanting to keep on, only you. Everyone else seems to understand how to use this thread and this forum. Clue:- no trolling involved.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Keep an eye out. Worth sharing, especially if you have youngish daughters.

Dreadful. In the middle of the day too.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... b72a1f4e80
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Souwester wrote: 17 Feb 2022 13:12 For goodness sake, can't one of the Admins do the sensible thing...
Did I miss something?
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.

Return to “Chatty Person”