Crime in Reading

chat about the town here ...
OLDMAN

Re: Crime in Reading

Post by OLDMAN »

Rape in Hastings 29th Jan!
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/susse ... ings-rape/

Your point?..................and before you say the inevitable my point is: it happens everywhere!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Feb 2022 09:49 Rape in Hastings 29th Jan!
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/susse ... ings-rape/

Your point?..................and before you say the inevitable my point is: it happens everywhere!
I'm sorry you and one or two others thought I was making the Nando's incident up. However, your post is :offtopic1:

Let's stick to 'Crime in Reading' as the thread is titled.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Feb 2022 09:52 Man stabbed outside Nando's in Whitley.

Man stabbed outside the Boundary pub in Reading town centre.

It never ends.
The original post, above, didn’t contain any references or links, hence the (fruitless) search by people. It’s helpful to others to have links soar, should they wish, they can read the source and form their own opinion.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The one at Nando's in Whitley reads like a targeted attack from the newspaper writeup, so unlikely to be a risk to the general public.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

The stabbing was last AUGUST, so neither were exactly breaking news. We had probably all heard of both incidents long before your post.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:14 The one at Nando's in Whitley reads like a targeted attack from the newspaper writeup, so unlikely to be a risk to the general public.
I thought similar or maybe road-rage / argument in the place that escalated
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:28 The stabbing was last AUGUST, so neither were exactly breaking news. We had probably all heard of both incidents long before your post.
There was a stabbing at Nando's was only the other day. (Jan 28th 2022).
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:04

It never ends.
The original post, above, didn’t contain any references or links, hence the (fruitless) search by people. It’s helpful to others to have links soar, should they wish, they can read the source and form their own opinion.
If you type in GOOGLE "Nando's Whitley stabbing" it's the top result.

If you type in GOOGLE "Boundary pub Reading" the news story is there.

I provided enough information. It's how the user, used the information which was the problem.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:52

It never ends.
If you type in GOOGLE "Nando's Whitley stabbing" it's the top result.

I provided enough information. It's how the user, used the information which was the problem.
Why would anyone do that when most regular posters know to also post the source alongside their comment? It’s a courtesy thing to other forum members, and supports the OP with evidence.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:46
maggieaitch wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:28 The stabbing was last AUGUST, so neither were exactly breaking news. We had probably all heard of both incidents long before your post.
I am quoting from one of your links which pertained to a stabbing last August.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

It never ends.
It's not on the first 5 pages of Google results I've looked at.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Feb 2022 12:12

It's not on the first 5 pages of Google results I've looked at.
Click on the 'News' option near the top.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 04 Feb 2022 12:08
ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Feb 2022 10:46
I am quoting from one of your links which pertained to a stabbing last August.
You said "Neither were breaking news". One was only the only day.
The stabbing outside the Boundary happened last August, but he's been convicted and will find out his fate next week.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... tside-pub/
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Feb 2022 09:52Man stabbed outside the Boundary pub in Reading town centre.

It never ends.
So you posted this yesterday as if it were a recent event, when it actually happened nearly 6 months ago (178 days before your post). That strikes me as tantamount to trolling.

If you really want to denigrate the town you might as well post "fat lothario robs and trashes religious building. Itnever stops", since it's less than 500 years since Henry VIII had the Abbey destroyed...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Feb 2022 16:31
ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Feb 2022 09:52Man stabbed outside the Boundary pub in Reading town centre.

It never ends.
So you posted this yesterday as if it were a recent event, when it actually happened nearly 6 months ago (178 days before your post). That strikes me as tantamount to trolling.

If you really want to denigrate the town you might as well post "fat lothario robs and trashes religious building. Itnever stops", since it's less than 500 years since Henry VIII had the Abbey destroyed...
I never said when the stabbing occurred. However the person has been charged this week, so it was in the local news. Considering Earth is Trillions of years old, 178 days is recent in the scheme of things.

The stabbing at Nando's happened last week. There have also been other stabbings between these two events.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Look, whilst anyone is free to post whatever they like in whatever subject - within forum rules - who REALLY wants to hear, read about or have pushed into their face, continual postings about various crimes? Aside from you, no one cares! This thread really provides no service to the forum as a whole, and IMHO, is nothing more than a continual depressing monologue.

We KNOW crime happens, it happens the world over, in every town, village, city and hamlet. Wherever people live, so does crime. So does poverty, illness, drugs, disease and death and a million other blights on the human condition. It’s called life. I for one REALLY don’t want to keep on seeing this thread about crime and I’m sure I’m not alone. FFS give it a rest.

If this post earns me a sanction from the mods, so be it, it will be worth it to say what others probably would as well. I would prefer that the moderators considered closing this thread.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 04 Feb 2022 17:13 If this post earns me a sanction from the mods, so be it, it will be worth it to say what others probably would as well. I would prefer that the moderators considered closing this thread.
Maybe the Topic was originally intended as a ‘Warning’ or ‘Be aware of….’ Whereas it’s developed into an endless list of more violent crimes - yes, as a litany’ of what’s happened about which not many of us can do much about - sad though they are. We’ve all got access to the local media reports, and can read about them there.

So there’s one of of 2, maybe 3 things we can do….
Close this Topic
-or- amend the OPs heading to read something like “Local crime to be aware of’ - I’m not in favour of that.
Start a New Topic as an ‘Awareness of crime” to inform or advise members that eg. there’s a spate of car thefts/burglaries in a specific area of the town.

Perhaps you’d all like to state preferences.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I can see the value of a ‘neighbourhood watch’ style thread warning of doorstep scams and theft/burglary etc, however I prefer to have this thread closed.

Thank you for the opportunity of voting.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I would like to see this thread closed.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s always seemed a pretty pointless thread so I’d vote to close it.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Yes indeed
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Feb 2022 16:49
Pooneil wrote: 04 Feb 2022 16:31

It never ends.

I never said when the stabbing occurred. However the person has been charged this week, so it was in the local news. Considering Earth is Trillions of years old, 178 days is recent in the scheme of things.
No, he wasn't charged this week. You have to be charged at least 4 weeks before the trial begins. Given that the trial finished at the beginning of this week and had run for 2 weeks, he therefoe would have been charged at least six weeks ago, which is well before Christmas. Given the Christmas holidys etc, the likelihood is that he was charged in October or November last year.

And the earth isn't "Trillions of years old", it's estimated to be about 4.54 billion years old which is a fraction of a trillion years - about one two-hundred-and-twentieth of a trillion years. However , if that is the tack that you wish to take, I would point out that for about 99.9999971% of that time, there was no crime in Reading - so you really shouldn't focus on such a remarkably small blip in history.

Other than that, I'd agree to close the thread.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

well the consensus seems to think this Topic should be closed. So that’s what I’ll do

Tomorrow I’ll open another headed, hopefully, more as “Warning to be aware”
There's no such thing as a free lunch

Return to “Reading talk”