L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

Souwester
Super Contributor

Re: L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

Post by Souwester »

Whilst we're talking about Kenavon Drive, does anyone know what the plans are for the empty site opposite the new development/The Meridian near the junction with Gas Works Road. For a few months noiw it's been used as a parking lot for contractors on the Huntley Wharf site.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Souwester wrote: 01 Feb 2022 16:37 Whilst we're talking about Kenavon Drive, does anyone know what the plans are for the empty site opposite the new development/The Meridian near the junction with Gas Works Road. For a few months noiw it's been used as a parking lot for contractors on the Huntley Wharf site.
It appears to be an allocated development site according to the RBC local plan website - http://my.reading.gov.uk/custom/Reading ... nSolo.html

Make sure that you have "Allocated development site CR11-14 SR1-4 WR1-3 CA1 ER1" selected to see the zone.

It comes under policy CR13c. The only meaningful information I can find about the policy is at https://images.reading.gov.uk/2019/12/E ... Ranges.pdf
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

chris_j_wood wrote: 31 Jan 2022 15:56 I have had a bit of a change of mind about this development. When I first saw the buildings going up, I thought they looked grey and out of place.

But then I drove that way a few days ago, and something about the massing of the buildings obviously tickled a long disused synapse, and memories of what the old biscuit factory looked like came flooding back. I realised that the development is to an extent returning the feel of that part of town back to what I remember when I first came to live in Reading, with significantly sized (specifically height wise) buildings giving a much more urban feel.

Whilst I still have reservations about the rather dour colour, I now think it is a distinct improvement over the retail sheds and parking lots that we have lived with for the past forty(?) years. Anybody else remember the old factory and feel the same?.
I went to the Forbury Retail Park today. I agree the blocks are certainly an improvement on what went before, but I'm not convinced they'll stand the test of time, even though they look interesting now. The brickwork just doesn't seem to stand out that much from a distance. I agree, dour or perhaps drab. The massing just seems like large blocks to me, with pressure little space between them from the Kenavon Drive side. The old Prudential Building was quite striking, I thought.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”