What are they thinking of?

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Pooneil

Re: What are they thinking of?

Post by Pooneil »

As soon as you start playing around with the embankment you're into potential movement of the actual trackbed which means line closures and ground monitoring and substantial civil engineering work.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

MickEdge wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:00 Is there still an entrance on the Tilehurst Road, but I can't recall a ticket office there, so presumably there will still have to be ticket machines and barriers at platform level.
I believe its still there as it was last time I went past about a year ago, but as you say its access only then ticket machines etc once on the platforms
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

A £3.1m upgrade of a Reading West station has been granted planning permission. The plans feature a new glass and brick building which includes a ticket office, public toilets and a small shop. Secure ticket barriers, a new CCTV system and lighting are also expected be constructed at the Oxford Road site in a bid to improve security. Reading Borough Council said the building work could begin in March and would take about a year to complete.

Full story on BBC news website.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

MickEdge wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:00 Is there still an entrance on the Tilehurst Road, but I can't recall a ticket office there, so presumably there will still have to be ticket machines and barriers at platform level.
No, the plans include barriers and ticket machines at the Tilehurst Road entrance too, adjacent to the road.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2021/0 ... therlands/

Article here touches on Reading West

On a related note, I wish that Mr Angry of Tilehurst would make his thread titles somewhat relevant to the subject matter - e.g. "Reading West Station Redesign - what are they thinking of?" for the ease of others.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

The first plans were a decoy so that anything subsequently proposed would be accepted with a sigh of relief. Possibly.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Just noticed this thread. Work is commencing. I can't help feel those who thought a coffee kiosk is more important than disabled access (a lift) needs to give their head a wobble. I suppose at least a disabled person can get a cappuccino and enjoy the vibrant Oxford Road vista.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 29 Jan 2022 11:25 Just noticed this thread. Work is commencing. I can't help feel those who thought a coffee kiosk is more important than disabled access (a lift) needs to give their head a wobble. I suppose at least a disabled person can get a cappuccino and enjoy the vibrant Oxford Road vista.
I think the bottom line, like it or not, is that a coffee kiosk makes money and a lift doesn't.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

chris_j_wood wrote: 31 Jan 2022 14:57
ChipbuttyG wrote: 29 Jan 2022 11:25 Just noticed this thread. Work is commencing. I can't help feel those who thought a coffee kiosk is more important than disabled access (a lift) needs to give their head a wobble. I suppose at least a disabled person can get a cappuccino and enjoy the vibrant Oxford Road vista.
I think the bottom line, like it or not, is that a coffee kiosk makes money and a lift doesn't.
Correct. This explanation by Reading BC may be unacceptable to many, but the extra cost, which sounds significant, has to come from somewhere, which means either us in taxes or not doing something else.
The station upgrade does not include the installation of lifts at the station as, due to Network Rail safety regulations, the addition of lifts at Reading West Station would require the full rebuild of the station platforms to meet the regulations and this is currently unaffordable. However, these plans do include the ‘passive provision’ for the installation of lifts to each platform in the future subject to the amendment to the Network Rail regulations and if funding is identified.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Yes, from memory the platforms at RW are very narrow (front to back) and I suspect the H&S regs require a fair amount of space around them. Certainly every train platform lift I've ever seen has the lift entrance at least 2 and probably 3 metres away from the platform edge. Once you allow for the width of the lift itself, it probably won't fit on the existing platform.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I would have some doubts as to whether a coffee shop would make enough money to pay running costs and pay back the original cost of it's construction. Many small london stations with an immensely larger footfall than could ever be expected from Reading West have not been thought suitable for similar facilities. A facility such as this would undoubtably be leased out in the hope that someone could make it pay, but definitely have doubts as to it being a truly profitable venture.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

How does the lack of lift help with compliance with the DDA? Never used the station myself so is there alternative access for wheelchair users?
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

C.A.Versham wrote: 31 Jan 2022 19:16How does the lack of lift help with compliance with the DDA? Never used the station myself so is there alternative access for wheelchair users?
The whole of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and about 98% of the Disability Discrimination Act 2010 was repealed by the Equality Act 2010, which requires a person or body to make "reasonable adjustments" to prevent discrimination against the disabled. Presumably the extensive work to remodel the station and platforms to install lifts would not be considered "reasonable adjustments".

There's a string of stations on the Hammersmith & City and Circle line stretch of the Underground between Paddington and Hammersmith that are rather like Reading West in that they are actually elevated stations that generally have pretty narrow platforms and no immediately obvious ways of installing a lift (Royal Oak, Westbourne Park, Ladbroke Grove, Latimer Road, Shepherd's Bush Market, Goldhawk Road). The one exception on this stretch is Wood Lane, which is between Latimer Road and Shepherd's Bush Market stations, which does have lifts - almost certainly because it's an entirely new station built between 2005 and 2008 (in tandem with the Westfield Shopping Centre development), and was therefore not constrained by any existing station geometry. (Whilst all tube stations since the 1990s have been built as fully accessible, Wood Lane is I believe unique as the only tube station to use the name of a former tube station -there was formerly a Wood Lane station on the Metropolitan line in the first half of the 20th century - and also relatively rare as the first new station to be built on an existing tube line since before WWII - the last one being Elm Park on the District line in East London, opened in 1935). Apologies for going a tad :offtopic1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

It's much needed with a McDonalds right next door.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

mikejee wrote: 31 Jan 2022 18:08
I would have some doubts as to whether a coffee shop would make enough money to pay running costs and pay back the original cost of it's construction. Many small london stations with an immensely larger footfall than could ever be expected from Reading West have not been thought suitable for similar facilities. A facility such as this would undoubtably be leased out in the hope that someone could make it pay, but definitely have doubts as to it being a truly profitable venture.
There is also a McDonalds right next door.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”