State of the roads around the town

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
piwacket

State of the roads around the town

Post by piwacket »

Have a moan - or give praise! About the state of the roads, poor driving, or road conditions that may affect your journey - not where there’s roadworks or road closures - there’s a separate information Topic for that!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Re: State of the roads around the town

Post by BOY RACER »

Reminds me of an old joke. Regarding Road works. Suggested why the authorities do not lay a trench to install all the mayor utilities in one trench I.e. electric - gas - water. But of course electric and water is not a good mix - electric and gas is not a good mix
The joke went “motorist going past some road works noticed that the trench was quite deep. and asked why. Was told that the trench was deep to take all the major services, plus as the local cemetery was full, undertakers could unload dead bodies into the trench. Seeing it in black and white (I hope that is not racist) it really is not funny. Sign of the times
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

At least with all that rain yesterday the people of east Reading had something that filled up with water......
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Oct 2021 11:19 At least with all that rain yesterday the people of east Reading had something that filled up with water......
Yes our pond :) oh and the water butts!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

PC49 wrote: 02 Oct 2021 21:13 Reminds me of an old joke. Regarding Road works. Suggested why the authorities do not lay a trench to install all the mayor utilities in one trench I.e. electric - gas - water. But of course electric and water is not a good mix - electric and gas is not a good mix
It's not a problem if the trench is wide enough, most new builds have all the utilities in one trench but have to leave space for any one to be lifted for repair etc without damaging the others. We used to produce a special grade of tarmac at our quarry with a non combustible flux for such cases, it was developed in conjunction with British Gas and we delivered it over a wide area (South West Wales, North Yorkshire etc) until other firms jumped on the bandwagon and made it themselves.

When mother was living near Prospect Park we used to dread driving down Halls Road and The Meadway as for several years the road surface was terrible and really not fit for purpose. :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 03 Oct 2021 14:19
ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Oct 2021 11:19 At least with all that rain yesterday the people of east Reading had something that filled up with water......
Yes our pond :) oh and the water butts!
I bet it won't take 7 years to fill those up.....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Well the good news is a lot of Reading roads are going to be resurfaced in the next few weeks

Bad news is some will be closed and diversions etc in place – hey-ho..................

And a good idea is, if you post about any problems on here – at least have the decency to report the problem to RBC via the web-site or better still (gets a better reaction) via Love Clean Streets

And you can use LCS to report the same sort of things in other councils areas - it’s what I do
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I reported the Meadway to the council about 3 years ago.

They asked me for the house number where the problem is - I had to give them the entirety of the house numbers along there.

Good to see it being done at last. Just a bit more to go...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve reported a huge number of problems over the years and rarely do they take longer than a few weeks but depending on....................
RBC (and all other councils) have a ‘hole size rule’ and they do come and check reported holes, and if under the ‘bad’ size they allow then nothing happens

I totally disagree with that system and have had numerous arguments with differing councils over it especially as the hole size is based on a acr driving over the hole...............
So my next level is to mention that if a cyclist (depends where the hole is) or a motorcyclist hits the hotel it could cause and accident for them, and if bad / fatal the council in question would be responsible – and if I hear that has happened I would let the authorities / press know it had been reported

Its amazing how many get fixed after that!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Here’s a list of when and where roads are going to be resurfaced. For some of us it’s a long wait.
Main roads: https://media.reading.gov.uk/news/counc ... investment
Other roads: https://www.reading.gov.uk/transport/tr ... rovements/
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Great to see Sidmouth Street being done at last. I've used it regularly since I moved to Reading 2½ years ago and it's always been the same.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Souwester wrote: 05 Oct 2021 00:04 Great to see Sidmouth Street being done at last. I've used it regularly since I moved to Reading 2½ years ago and it's always been the same.
It’s annoying – they’ve patched it a few times (last was about 10 months ago – I saw them doing it as caught in the traffic) but it doesn’t last long, especially the corner when going left / joining queens Rd
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Oaktree road needs doing ASAP. It's been dreadful for years, but this current wet spell, we've currently got craters up the middle of the road.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

According to a letter sent by Reading Borough to the Uni, Whiteknights Road is shortly to be closed for resurfacing. That is the third time the road has been resurfaced in the 16 years I have worked at Earley Gate. The first time they resurfaced the whole length, but it started deteriorating again within months, which surely isn't right. The second time was more of a patch-up job, and a few years later both patched and unpatched bits of road are heavily potholed.

On the other hand the road I live on was built for the housing development, and my house was first sold in late 1999. So I'm guessing the road surface is now 22 or 23 years old, and it is now starting to show signs of wear but without any really bad potholes. It is, in fact, scheduled for resurfacing next year, which is probably about right in an ideal world.

I'm intrigued by the difference, and by what we ought to expect in terms of longevity of a road surface. Does anybody know?.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It all depends on traffic levels / vehicles types / road layout - Whitenights gets heavy use with high levels of traffic / is on a bus route, gets a few trucks use it / it winds a bit so gets cornering forces

In contrast my (like your) road, and many around the area except one hasn’t been resurfaced in over 30yrs I’ve lived here, and for many years before then that I can think off, side roads are all the same so apart from the odd pothole (which are done within weeks of reporting them) not a lot needs doing
However St Peters Rd and Palmer Park Ave both of which get heavy-ish traffic levels / larger vehicles have been resurfaced twice in the last 20yrs
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Our road is on the list of roads to be resurfaced. The council have come around this morning to patch up the potholes they didn't do the last time they patched up some potholes a few months ago.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

Anyone know how to report potholes?
The ones along London Road near the hospital have been annoying me for years and I'm surprised the authorities haven't done anything given its such a popular and important road.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Jan 2022 13:42The ones along London Road near the hospital have been annoying me for years and I'm surprised the authorities haven't done anything given its such a popular and important road.
I was just about to say the same thing!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Jan 2022 13:42 Anyone know how to report potholes?
The ones along London Road near the hospital have been annoying me for years and I'm surprised the authorities haven't done anything given its such a popular and important road.
https://self.reading.gov.uk/service/Rep ... et_problem
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

RBC told me their roads inspection team 'regularly' check the roads. If they do they should have gone to Specsavers.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 23 Jan 2022 13:53
Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Jan 2022 13:42 Anyone know how to report potholes?
https://self.reading.gov.uk/service/Rep ... et_problem
I do the double whammy of this and Love Clean Streets
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”