Bin Soldiers

chat about the town here ...
KeithW
Super Contributor

Bin Soldiers

Post by KeithW »

A weird thing happened today. It's bin day, so yesterday evening I placed our wheelie bin in the gateway as usual, as did my neighbours.

At about 05:30 I heard a bin-like noise, thought nothing much of it but SWMBO had a look and saw that our bin had been moved to the pavement edge. She saw a man in hi-viz doing this to all the bins in the street, lining them up along the pavement edge like soldiers. I can't think that this would save any time.

As it happens, some time before collection one of them (it was a bin laden in fact, well full) was knocked over and the contents spilled. I can't wait for next week to see if this is repeated. I should get out more, I know.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Re: Bin Soldiers

Post by ChipbuttyG »

We place our bin near our gate pillar so we can get the car in and out and it isn't in our way.

I've gone out in the car plenty of times when the bins have been collected, only to find the bin, slap bang in the middle of the pavement and blocking the drive. So I have to stop the car in the road. Get out. Move the bin. Then get back in my car to put it in the drive.

How hard can it be to put the bin back where it was?
Last edited by ChipbuttyG on 16 Nov 2021 12:00, edited 2 times in total.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nothing like that around our way, but it would be pointless as the bins have to be taken around any parked cars - many of which are partly on the pavement edge anyway

I do see the ones along Wilderness / Shinfield roads etc on a Wednesday morning, although they come under WBC – they have 3-4 guys in HV walking along getting all the bags in big piles spaced out along pavement edge, but they put the recycle boxes outside the respective houses
The truck comes along and more guys come and pick it up – stupidly these have wheelie bins they drag along and drop the bags into or empty recycling boxes in to different ones – these bins are then emptied via auto-lift into the truck so all very labour intensive / slow - and yet WBC won’t have wheelie bins!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Being under WBC - we only have one wheelie bin - thank goodness! And that’s for green waste, so we do as others and put it on the pavement on the corner of the drive, and it gets returned there. For recycling we have green ‘hessian’ bags, and they’re checked down any-old-how, vaguely near the drive. And yes, the household waste bags are gathered together in a pile every few houses. On the whole it all works very well.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Don't forget the little black food waste bin Pi. If you put all of your waste food into that, the foxes and magpies leave the blue sacks alone.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 16 Nov 2021 13:12 Don't forget the little black food waste bin Pi. If you put all of your waste food into that, the foxes and magpies leave the blue sacks alone.
No we don’t use it Fed-Up. We did initially - we put all veggie cuttings in the compost, but I tend to only cook what we’ll eat - the occasional chop bone gets wrapped in newspaper and put in the household waste - but at the time, once a week we’d have take-away Fish and chips, which again I’d wrap in newspaper, which of course can be composted- They refused to take it!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

We tend to have two fairly full bags of food waste (not waste food!) weekly and having that collected from the little bin every week is very useful. It helps keep the landfill bin cleaner and we find it makes the new smaller bin more than adequate.

We don't have a garden big enough for a compost heap, and there are a lot of trimmings and peelings with fresh veg.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

We don't fill it that much. As a household of 5, we normally only fill half a green bag every week, but it tends to be bones, cooked veg, etc. Any fresh peelings go on the compost heap. Touch wood, we've never had wild animals open the blue bag.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

One green bin day, I was last minute pruning straight into it, when a guy came along lining them up. I waved what I thought was a rather thick branch at him and he said chuck it in. I carried on for sometime and finished, before the bin lorry turned up. Never noticed it again, so I assume it wasn’t much help. Generally our bins are returned to approximately the right place.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Nov 2021 11:09 We place our bin near our gate pillar so we can get the car in and out and it isn't in our way.

I've gone out in the car plenty of times when the bins have been collected, only to find the bin, slap bang in the middle of the pavement and blocking the drive. So I have to stop the car in the road. Get out. Move the bin. Then get back in my car to put it in the drive.

How hard can it be to put the bin back where it was?
I suppose it depends how wide your driveway is, but mine is about 4' wider than my car. I'll agree that the returning of bins is to an approximate rather than exact original position, but I'd guess it's only 2 or 3 times a year that it's so bad that I actually have to move it before I can get the car in or out. But I'd have to concede that planting it bung in the middle of the top of the drive is neither helpful nor clever.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 16 Nov 2021 13:47. Touch wood, we've never had wild animals open the blue bag.
We don’t have a heap, just compost bins. Wouldn’t want a heap, unless it was a huge garden, so out of the way… nevertheless having had rats from a nearby neighbours garden who had a heap - don’t know what they put on it! - so no way.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Here they have lined the bins up for many years, a chap comes along a few minutes before the vehicle and sorts them out into a line to speed up proceedings. Sometimes he has to wait for the vehicle to come back from the landfill site about 15 miles away though. We have to put them on the pavement of course as they are not allowed to cross the property threshold.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Funnily this talk of bins - this morning the guys / trucks I normally see must have been running late as none along Wilderness Rd and all bags etc still by gates / drives etc – same along Shinfield Rd until along past by the weather place where three guys were standing / waiting for the truck to appear!

Our food waste bin is getting used but just one very small bag or nothing per week
Like Pi we cook enough for what we eat, if a large pie or quiche we take a lump to an elderly neighbour/s (OH sometimes cooks larger ones deliberately) potato peeling get fried as a snack or a side
We don’t tend eat things with bones in (OH has a chop now and then) and a lot of things go out for birds
Good bit is putting waste oil in a bottle and then disposing of that in the food bin - I still make bird feed with some (mixed with grain / seeds etc) but get too much over time and we used to put that in small container’s in the waste bin
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

We've never had waste oil, at least not for decades when we once had a deep fat fryer. We have an air-fryer, a Tefal one which slowly tumbles the food with a tablespoon of oil. Great chips and no waste, what's more you can use oils which otherwise wouldn't cope with repeated use. Noisy though.

Return to “Reading talk”