The Black Boy II

General chat forum
KeithW
Super Contributor

Re: The Black Boy II

Post by KeithW »

piwacket wrote: 13 Feb 2021 16:26
Well the bus in Woodley still shows The Thatchers, despite the pub changing its name some years ago to The Waterside ... old local names stick fast :whistle1:
Huntley and Palmers bus stop too.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

KeithW wrote: 13 Feb 2021 16:50 Huntley and Palmers bus stop too.
Huntley and Palmers bus stops
Like bus stops ought to be.

(I'll get my coat.)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 13 Feb 2021 09:55
lizwing wrote: 13 Feb 2021 09:42 I have a black teddy bear which was bought for our son, does this make me a racist?
I'm sure that many black kids had white dolls or Action Men etc Liz so I wouldn't worry too much! :whistle1:

Pete.
The forerunner of Action Man was GI Joe, and they had a Black version of him!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

KeithW wrote: 13 Feb 2021 16:50
Well the bus in Woodley still shows The Thatchers, despite the pub changing its name some years ago to The Waterside ... old local names stick fast :whistle1:
And the bus stop nearest the Whiteknights Lake dam is called Mockbeggar, despite said children's home being demolished decades ago.

But my favourite is Eastern Avenue Foot, presumably so named because it is at the very top of the rather steep Eastern Avenue!.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Just seen on our news that a pub in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, owned by Greene King and formerley named The Black's Head is being renamed as well. The new name, The Quarryman, was decided via an online poll like the other three pubs affected.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 15 Feb 2021 14:39
KeithW wrote: 13 Feb 2021 16:50
And the bus stop nearest the Whiteknights Lake dam is called Mockbeggar, despite said children's home being demolished decades ago.

But my favourite is Eastern Avenue Foot, presumably so named because it is at the very top of the rather steep Eastern Avenue!.
Mockbegger was named that, way before the children’s home was there as it was once Oliver Dixon’s house – using that name!
So a historical connection at least
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

This bus stop on the A4 has always fascinated me. The picture is from Google Street View, and is not very clear, but the name on the bus stop is "Earley Power Station".
earleyps1.PNG
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

That must surely win the prize for the most anachronistic bus stop in Greater Reading.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Its where it was, and sort of still is!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

when you look at the image quickly, the pole looks like a chimney and the sky smoke/steam
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 18 Feb 2021 08:52 Its where it was, and sort of still is!
... that’s what I thought ... so wondered why the bus sign was being questioned?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yur tis'
eps.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

OLDMAN wrote: 18 Feb 2021 08:52 Its where it was, and sort of still is!
Still is? Obviously I must be mistaken. Thought it was demolished years ago.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I expect that there is still a power distribution centre on the site even though the actual power station as I knew it has long gone? It's not often that the sites are removed totally but just modernised.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The actual power station site is in TVP - https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/?#zoom= ... rs=193&b=1.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

If the term black boy is offensive, what do we call black boys now?

Return to “Chatty Person”