Developments near Reading

sarahbentley
Contributor

Developments near Reading

Post by sarahbentley »

We know central Reading is choc-a-blok so why aren't the council working with others neightbouring councils about easing the pressure and building more houses on the brown belt in Wokingham or else where, there's so much potential plus I know several farmers who want to sell to developers but council is being a blocker
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Re: Developments near Reading

Post by D5equj5 »

Farmers sell green field sites and we really need to preserve our green fields for future generations.
Reading also need to improve their traffic flow systems and infrastructure to draw more punters into the town centre. They really need to find a way reduce centre rents and resolve to growing homeless and beggar difficulties. BID are already doing a magnificent job in this respect although more resources are clearly needed.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Sarah - what makes you think Wokingham isn’t building - granted it’s not full of blocks of flats - but there’s plenty of building/developments under construction.
I’m with D6, our green space is being encroached on all the time, we need to preserve it where possible. As RBC seems to think the future is Apartments, not houses, and according to a relative who’s an estate agent, many just don’t sell easily, then presumably there’s no need to build more :? or do you mean more ‘social’ housing is needed? In which case a lot more infrastructure in the way of surgeries and schools are needed too….. and another hospital as RBH can’t be expected to cope with even more people.

As for drawing more people into the town centre - parking facilities would need to be vastly improved for a start, let alone just getting there with the nightmarish traffic jams. Not everyone can catch a bus, for various reasons…. Aside of if you want something heavy or cumbersome…
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It’s pretty well known here that I am not a fan of high rise flats and especially not for children - unless we are going to take a look at the regulations and insist on much bigger outside space, as part of the development to go with them…as in countries like Holland.

It’s fine to say we need to preserve green fields for future generations , and we do, but those generations also need to live somewhere…perhaps we just need to develop differently and make it less financially rewarding to squeeze as many properties as possible onto ever inch of space and more rewarding for less density .
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

According to the Reading Local Plan, the neighbouring councils are cooperating on meeting the increase in homes that the Government requires from local authorities, and there is a recognition that Reading has few places left for developments, which is why most of it is upwards. I'm not convinced that simply building on the green fields between Reading and nearby towns will solve the problems, unless your goal is the continuous growth of the greater Reading urban area. It maybe nimbyism, but surely, drawing more and more people and businesses into this area will limit the ability to "level up" other parts of the country.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Interesting question and answered in one way – they have tried to negotiate BUT..................

The adjoining councils aren’t that bothered as already allowing lots of houses (and sadly industrial units / warehouse) to be built around the border edges of Reading
Problems is all he council tax goes into their coffers, but it us (Reading) that provide all the local amenities and get the road / traffic problem

And it’s not just with Reading - go and look at all the developments along the Wokingham / Bracknell borders – WBC are one of the worst around here for ‘encroachment’ building

It also brings up another question - if there is so much ‘spare’ land between towns then why don’t those councils build nearer their own towns, and not so far away they are on the borders of other councils?

If you want a good example of NON cooperation between councils look up ‘Third Thames Bridge’
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Jun 2021 07:41 It also brings up another question - if there is so much ‘spare’ land between towns then why don’t those councils build nearer their own towns, and not so far away they are on the borders of other councils?
I think you partly answered that already. If they build on the border with Reading then the people buying the houses will essentially be Reading residents and much of the costs will be incurred by Reading Borough whilst they get the income. Also, to be honest, some of our bordering authorities don't really have much of a town to build next to. Wokingham has an overgrown village that is, I believe, smaller than either Woodley and Earley in terms of population. South Oxfordshire has Henley but that is pretty small as towns go; Newbury in West Berks is more substantial but still nothing like the size or facilities of Reading.

On the other hand it has difficult to see what to do about it. I've been spending a bit of time in Amersham in the last couple of weeks (for reasons you can probably guess but which are beyond the scope of this thread). I've only just realised that Buckinghamshire has gone unitary in the opposite way to Berkshire; it abolished its districts and made its county council into a unitary. That means that the same council runs most everything in an area from Eton Wick on the Thames to just this side of Towcester, a distance of 45 miles apart. I don't know how that works there, but I'm not sure I'd appreciate having Reading run by councillors from Devizes (a similar sort of distance away).
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

My answer was more to the OP as pointing out how other councils work, and to indicate about the building on RBC borders rather than their own

As for the size of the towns I think it slightly irrelevant as building close to their own woold make them large in itself – and anything built under the auspices of council borders will make the populations of those areas larger anyway

And take into consideration other building, mainly warehouses / industrial / office etc - WBC has a habit of allowing that to happen on the border of Reading and WILL not take notice of any objections from anyone in Reading including the council, but will soon shout if it goes the other way
The Brakes distribution unit at Suttons Park was a good example of that - the reason for building it was good access to the motorway – but in the same breath why wasn’t it the built in Winnersh by the A3290/M junction there as equally accessible?
They ignored all Readings objections to that
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”