Coley Steps

Add your general questions, requests, etc. relating to genealogy here ..... let me know if you would like any specfic topic forums adding to this category.
L Kane
Contributor

Coley Steps

Post by L Kane »

Hi,
Just wondering if there is any trace left of the Coley Steps in Reading or are they long gone?

Some wonderful pictures online of the steps early/mid 1900s.

Coley steps 1953

Coley steps 1911
piwacket

Re: Coley Steps

Post by piwacket »

I grew up in my teen years in Berkeley Ave, (1950s/60s) so knew Coley area well then, especially as I had a newspaper round in the area.
Where’s the steps in the first link? I don’t remember those in the second link, but there were steps in Garnet Street/hill. Wolseley St/Coley street and the little streets off them and Katesgrove Lane, Fobney Street and the ‘alleys’ leading off Castle Street - Grape Passage etc which lead through to Hosier Street and then Oxford Rd were certainly poor areas. 99% of them went in the demolishing for the IDR.

It seems you’re now in Oz? Did you know the area?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Pi
The first link has two photos. Scroll down to the second to see the steps
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

mikejee wrote: 10 May 2021 21:51 Pi
The first link has two photos. Scroll down to the second to see the steps
Thanks Mike - oh yes, remember those - I delivered papers to the houses at the top, just after that date - maybe 1954... but the caption says it’s 1951? after the demolition - but they’re there?
I’m trying to place the street in the first photo .... Dover St?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

As it says most of the housing etc was demolished but not the steps at the time - I remember visiting family friends in Coley Pl when a lot of area was being cleared for the IDR roughly there, as all us kids went and played on the waste land along that road side - this was mid 60’s
I think some where about where the walkways / foot bridge goes over the IDR now
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I think it’s after the demolition of the houses Pi, but the steps are still there. Not now obviously.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
L Kane
Contributor

Post by L Kane »

Thank you all for your replies,
I'm currently living in Glasgow but my maternal side of the family are all from Reading. I found the picture of the Coley Steps @1911 and that is when my family lived there. Would have quite liked to have visited the steps but could not see them on satellite pictures. I know the houses demolished but just wondered if any trace of the steps were left but obviously not. Thank you for the replies.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

L Kane wrote: 14 May 2021 11:52 Thank you all for your replies,
I'm currently living in Glasgow but my maternal side of the family are all from Reading. I found the picture of the Coley Steps @1911 and that is when my family lived there. Would have quite liked to have visited the steps but could not see them on satellite pictures. I know the houses demolished but just wondered if any trace of the steps were left but obviously not. Thank you for the replies.
You've probably seen this, but it's about old Coley, don't know if the steps are mentioned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNauPWgg9NY
L Kane
Contributor

Post by L Kane »

I hadn't come across this before. Thank you Keith W. The steps do feature quite a bit. It actually has the narrators trying to find some evidence of Coley Steps but it seems that they have been sadly eradicated. Thank you for this. It was very interesting.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

L Kane wrote: 14 May 2021 16:23 I hadn't come across this before...
Someone mentioned it on here a while ago, I didn't watch it at the time but I just did this afternoon. I lived in Coley for a couple of years so had a peripheral interest, and in fact I found it very interesting. Fair play to to the blokes who made it, though the music to 'Last of the Summer Wine' did come to mind a couple of times...
ian
Super Contributor

Post by ian »

I wondered where all the people who had lived in that part of Coley went. Could it have been Whitley or the Wensley Road area.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Our friends moved to Newtown (Liverpool Rd) and said a few neighbours also did the same
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!

Return to “Genealogy”