BRISTOL & WEST Arcade proposals

ash
Super Contributor

Re: BRISTOL & WEST Arcade proposals

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 27 Jun 2018 19:40 Slight change...

The plans for the old Bristol & West Arcade have reverted to a red frontage.

A welcome change in the right direction.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Indeed, but the top floor still looks odd at that angle.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

OneGorman wrote: 28 Jun 2018 12:17 Indeed, but the top floor still looks odd at that angle.
The architect has stated he couldn't find his ruler which is why it's a bit wonky
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Or the drawing was done by someone on Getreading, with their usual expertise
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

I forgot to come on here to say I got a letter from the council about the application saying they had changed to red brick frontage.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

And..........it's back on the market. :sleep1:

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/brist ... the-market
'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

The final quote amused me after the initial estate agent’s enthusiasm - “It will be exciting to see what will happen here. We have a fantastic (consented) scheme but we will have to see whether a buyer wants to implement it.”. So who knows, if, when or what will go up. Maybe the buyer will sit on it as an investment, before selling on. And are we “under-bedded” hotel-wise in Reading?
flatback
Super Contributor

Post by flatback »

ash wrote: 27 Jun 2018 23:39
OneGorman wrote: 27 Jun 2018 19:40 Slight change...

The plans for the old Bristol & West Arcade have reverted to a red frontage.

A welcome change in the right direction.
What a shocker ! Is someone REALLY trying to kid us that this facade is an improvement on the harmony of the existing many neo Georgian facades in that square ? What a joke ! Same mistakes being made still in Reading as in every decade.
Attachments
Bristol &W Arcade proposals9.jpg
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

flatback wrote: 11 Dec 2019 20:38 What a shocker ! Is someone REALLY trying to kid us that this facade is an improvement on the harmony of the existing many neo Georgian facades in that square ?
They're not trying to kid you, they have no interest in your views. They want whatever will make them the most money, nothing else.

Propose something outrageous and something less outrageous may be approved. The planners are far from stupid, but rules are rules, and the council can't afford to be sued should they go against the rules.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Maybe I'm a design Philistine, but what's so bad about the new frontage? After all, the existing buildings are not actual only neo-Georgian. It's hardly like Bath's Royal Crescent.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I like the red and white, but hasn’t this now been withdrawn anyway?
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

I don’t envy any town centre developer at the moment, trying to second guess what life will be like post-Corvid. If the offices are gong to be part full and the shops is there a need for another hotel? The mock up seems to anticipate identical twins working in the offices. I reckon a start next year is optimistic. Still, if the rest of the development remains the same, it will be a great improvement. I just hope it’s not more indoor golf.
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... dium=email

One of the pictures on that site shows the neo Georgian facade opposite the old Post Office which they want to knock down.
Is this REALLY ugly, even in its neglected state ? I think it's one of the better facades in Reading and STILL think it should be preserved !(compared with the sort of front they want(ed) to replace it with)
Attachments
Bristol &W Arcade proposals10+arrow.jpg
Bristol &W Arcade proposals4.jpg
Bristol &W Arcade proposals4.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 525 times
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

This is the most recent proposal:

I believe the existing frontage is more recent than its architecture suggests, and the building behind has been partly demolished during a previous abandoned redevelopment scheme.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

peterson wrote: 30 Dec 2020 21:42 I believe the existing frontage is more recent than its architecture suggests, and the building behind has been partly demolished during a previous abandoned redevelopment scheme.
Possibly. It is difficult to tell from Google Satellite View, which may well be out of date anyway. But it does raise two little mysteries. What is that blue awning?. And where on earth is the tree just to its left growing?.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45612 ... a=!3m1!1e3
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Don't know what the blue rectangle is, but there is something there in 2009 , when the building is whole , in exactly the same place, though then it appears as a black rectangle - possibly a glass roof or dark courtyard. However in 2006, when the building appear somewhat different from the air, there seem to be nothing to correspond to it
2009.jpg
2006.jpg

Return to “Property developments in Reading”