piwacket

Remembrance Sunday “Lest we forget”

Post by piwacket »

There's no such thing as a free lunch
Bam
Super Contributor

Re: Remembrance Sunday “Lest we forget”

Post by Bam »

Very proud that my niece Tessa fired the cannon at the Cenotaph this morning. She has been in the King's Guard for 12 years and is now a Staff Sergeant.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Bam wrote: 08 Nov 2020 16:06 Very proud that my niece Tessa fired the cannon at the Cenotaph this morning.
She's not a very good shot then!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 08 Nov 2020 16:06 Very proud that my niece Tessa fired the cannon at the Cenotaph this morning. She has been in the King's Guard for 12 years and is now a Staff Sergeant.
Good for her Bam! Proud family all round I should think.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

KeithW wrote: 08 Nov 2020 16:54
Bam wrote: 08 Nov 2020 16:06 Very proud that my niece Tessa fired the cannon at the Cenotaph this morning.
She's not a very good shot then!
:-) ( there's always one) :-)
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Bam wrote: 08 Nov 2020 16:06 Very proud that my niece Tessa fired the cannon at the Cenotaph this morning. She has been in the King's Guard for 12 years and is now a Staff Sergeant.
We have had members who have served - my father, 3 uncles, 2 grandfathers, 4 cousins - both male and female and my godfather. All three services. Those who were too young at the time, did their National Service.

Well done her, Bam.

Lest we forget.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Crikey Bam, that's quite a thing.
How fantastic.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

D5. My niece is a horse woman like your brunette. She takes part in the big tattoos when they race about with gun carriages and travels as far as Ireland to choose new bloodstock for the army.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Wow what a job.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

Very well done, you are right to be proud the Army is a tough game.
I did it my way.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

My father in Gallipoli and one uncle in Egypt in The Great war. One Uncle in the Kent Cyclists! My mother in a munitions factory.
Two brothers in WW2, one in the Korean war Three uncles and four cousins , one captured at Tobruk.
Me ? Two years National Service, 30 years in the MOD.
My wife's gg grandfather was in the Indian Mutiny, for the Brits!
I did it my way.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bentley wrote: 13 Nov 2020 11:06 My father in Gallipoli and one uncle in Egypt in The Great war. One Uncle in the Kent Cyclists! My mother in a munitions factory.
Two brothers in WW2, one in the Korean war Three uncles and four cousins , one captured at Tobruk.
Me ? Two years National Service, 30 years in the MOD.
My wife's gg grandfather was in the Indian Mutiny, for the Brits!
A lot to remember there Bentley! Proud memories!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Reminds me of a friend who took her grandfather on holiday to Italy some years ago.

They visited Salerno where he remarked, "The last time I was here it was full of Germans too, but that time I had a rifle in my hands."
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

KeithW wrote: 13 Nov 2020 13:03 Reminds me of a friend who took her grandfather on holiday to Italy some years ago.

They visited Salerno where he remarked, "The last time I was here it was full of Germans too, but that time I had a rifle in my hands."
My current neighbour went to Italy with a coach party back in the eighties and they visited Cassino, the monastry had been rebuilt by then of course. The young female Italian tour guide told the party that the Germans were not even there at the time and the allies destroyed it needlessly and slaughtered innocent monks. My father was fighting there (and suffered bad frostbite which ruined his feet for life) and when I told him that he just commented that the monks had given a very good impression of being German soldiers and obviously didn't want any visitors! :-)

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Am I alone in feeling uneasy about Remembrance Day activities? It concerns me that it is so concentrated on the military and disregards in the main civilians who were killed or injured during wars. Soldiers tend to have their lives taken rather than giving them, particularly so in WW1.

I would prefer to see a comemmoration that was concerned with all those who lost their lives and with an emphasis on trying to avoid warfare in the future.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

It does seem odd, commemorating the dead by marching round with guns.

Just don't refer to wearing a poppy as 'woke virtue signalling', idiot parrot phrases like that refer only to other people.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I can post no better response that this, written by a friend. We’re it not such people, there would be far more loss of life.

http://www.kimdutoit.com/2020/05/25/memorial-day-2/
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 14 Nov 2020 11:44 I can post no better response that this, written by a friend. We’re it not such people, there would be far more loss of life.

http://www.kimdutoit.com/2020/05/25/memorial-day-2/
He was one of the lucky ones who survived albeit scarred. But many thousands alongside him died in futile trench warfare. I find it hard to believe that these lives were lost for any great benefit, but more as a result of bad strategy by generals and politicians who were safely out of the way.

War should be considered the failure of politicians and diplomacy and most seem to result in the deaths of many for little benefit or result. In recent wars it is civilians who suffer the most and I find it hard to think of any that could be thought of as a 'success'.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

You missed the point - these people sacrificed their lives - voluntary or conscripted - so that we have the freedoms to not only cast our votes as we wish, but to criticise those generals, politicians and anyone else we choose. Yes he was lucky, but he went in the full knowledge he may not return, to do his bit. What would you have had him and millions of others do instead? Not go? Not serve his country? You have your freedom because of people like him, and others, even today.

Remembering is about acknowledging in your own way, everyone who suffered, and is suffering, in wars, conflict and terrorism and us doing our bit to prevent that from happening again. The act of standing silent for just those two minutes of our lives, to acknowledge theirs and everyone’s sacrifice, is the very least we can do.

The Poppy fund money raised supports service people, and their families, who may have lost a family member or have be maimed from all types of conflict, no matter what year that was.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I think we'll have to agree to disagree VoR. My concern is that among the victims of war Remembrance Day comemmorates military personnel who died while, in the main, overlooking the many other victims of war. Standing for two minutes at war memorials or the Cenotaph is very much concetrating on the armed forces, but in the wars of the last hundred years far more civilians died than soldiers.

I see that the ceremony that Charles and Camilla are attending in Germany today commemorates everyone who has lost their life in war. I wish our ceremonies could move in that direction.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

That presumes a linear thinking, which I don’t have - I did say it’s about acknowledging everyone’s sacrifice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54924973
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 15 Nov 2020 13:09 I did say it’s about acknowledging everyone’s sacrifice.
I agree, but that is what I find is missing from Remembrance Day ceremonies which focus on the miliatary deaths. Obvoiously that is worthy of commemoration, but civilian deaths should be given equal billing shouldn't they?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

To say no, would be without humanity, wouldn’t it, Spectrum.

I think it is right we remember those that if not gave us the freedoms we have, then helped to preserve them. There are civilian casualties in all wars, it simply the nature of the beast. Freedom, is never Free. There is always a cost.

After all, they gave their tomorrow’s for our today.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Thanks VoT, an interesting perspective.
I have to admit to wondering ‘why’ Prince Charles would go to that Ceremony in Germany? To some extent the article explains it. I would really like to believe that Germany, and its people, has a conscience about the Nazi regime and the horrors it inflicted on so many, including other Germans.
And yes, somehow, the Cenotaph does tend to overlook the thousands of civilians, non military people, who suffered or lost their lives.
It could be said if you join the services, particularly during wartime, there’s a good chance you may be injured or killed... so you’ve made that choice :? That’s not to deny we should all show our appreciation of their service and/or sacrifice on everyone’s behalf. But we should also remember those who’s lives were shattered or lost in the process.
Maybe we do that in other ways?

Return to “Chatty Person”