The Mean Arena Reading 1.pdf
(268.35 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
The Mean Arena Reading 2.pdf
(357.62 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
The Mean Arena Reading 3.pdf
(367.19 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
The Mean Arena Reading 4.pdf
(384.45 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Having a clear out, came across this blast from the past! This is in comic 2000AD, printed sometime in the 80's...timepoint is 2025 when Reading street footballers Slater's Slayers play Oxford Invaders! Notable landmarks include the Butts Shopping Centre, the Hexagon, Caversham Bridge, the Forbury Gardens with bandstand and the Reading Festival...

Unfortunately, the front page of the comic is missing, so I've no idea what issue it was, or I could find out what happens the following week!

Anyone interested in old comics? There are hundreds...Crunch Comics in the Harris Arcade have politely declined due to lack of storage...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
bert
Super Contributor

Re: 2000AD - The Mean Arena comes to Reading

Post by bert »

That's great! Thanks for sharing. I used to love 2000AD as a young lad...it was a sad day when I binned hundreds of issues (like you, I couldn't find anyone to take them).

I wonder if the exploding boat house (that "got in the way of progress") was a dig at some sort of failed planning application around that time?
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Mean Arena ended in prog 282, dated 18th Sep 1982 so it's almost 40yrs old. I can't find any info on A Ridgeway though (who wrote the script). I was hoping to find that he was from Caversham or something.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We have hundreds of them in plastic boxes in our garage! Our son doesn’t have room to store them so we’ve been lumbered with them for years.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho

Return to “Chatty Person”