Irresponsible journalism

General chat forum
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Irresponsible journalism

Post by Fed-up »

I saw this on the Get Reading/Berkshire Live website today and thought the article was really irresponisble:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... g-19094454

The car could not have moved for a couple of months for a number of very good reasons, such as:
  • owner has injured themselves and cannot drive.
  • car has broken down and owner cannot afford to fix it at the moment.
  • owner has been furloughed and not needed to drive the car.
To write a whole article and advertise that it appears to be abandoned is only going to open the car up to being vandalised and make things a lot worse for the owner.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
dave m
Super Contributor

Re: Irresponsible journalism

Post by dave m »

Agree. The article practically hints at encouraging damage - as do the comments.
Someone has taken umbrage at the vehicle being there and quite likely a mysterious person has let the tyre down.
There's a whole string on facebook with people baying for it to be removed, taking the OP's version as true.

Also, it's not "blocking a hydrant". As any hydrant would not be placed in an area of road where a vehicle could park.
We don't have the American laws about parking near a pavement hydrant.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

dave m wrote: 16 Oct 2020 13:33 Also, it's not "blocking a hydrant". As any hydrant would not be placed in an area of road where a vehicle could park.
There are lots of hydrants in Reading in areas where vehicles can park. Many of them are in marked resident parking bays.
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

The standard of journalism in Get Reading is awful. Add to that the shocking spelling and grammar and the huge amount of ads and autoplaying videos and it's a wonder anyone looks at it at all.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Surely the Police can trace the owner and prevent folk jumping to conclusions and posting it on the local rag for all to see? There could be a genuine reason, there has been a Volkswagen K70 parked near us with three flat tyres for most of this year and we know who owns it and it troubles nobody.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

joe_smooth wrote: 16 Oct 2020 15:53 The standard of journalism in Get Reading is awful. Add to that the shocking spelling and grammar and the huge amount of ads and autoplaying videos and it's a wonder anyone looks at it at all.
Grammar?
You can count the ads so that :whistle1: they are in "numbers" not "amounts"
I did it my way.
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Bentley wrote: 17 Oct 2020 09:05
joe_smooth wrote: 16 Oct 2020 15:53 The standard of journalism in Get Reading is awful. Add to that the shocking spelling and grammar and the huge amount of ads and autoplaying videos and it's a wonder anyone looks at it at all.

Grammar?
You can count the ads so that :whistle1: they are in "numbers" not "amounts"
I'm not a journalist. My grammar is not in question, thankfully!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

From what I have read on Facebook the vehicle is taxed but is out of MOT as when it was tested there is a long list of failures, some of which are downright dangerouus.

Pete.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Reading Post is terrible. I don't think editors check facts and new young journalists don't do proper investigations either and go with whatever someone has said in a tweet
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

windrush wrote: 17 Oct 2020 10:03 From what I have read on Facebook the vehicle is taxed but is out of MOT as when it was tested there is a long list of failures, some of which are downright dangerouus.
One is not helped by GetReading's lousy writing: "...the truck is taxed until July 2021. However, its MOT expired at the end of the same month."
If the MOT also runs to July 2021, then it should be "expires" not "expired", since it's in the future. If the MoT has already expired, then clearly it's not "the same month".
Normally I'd say that with the "s" and "d" being adjacent on the keyboard, it's just a typo, and it should be "expires". However, the sentence about the MoT begins with "However", suggesting that the information in that sentence contrasts or contradicts with the info in the previous sentence, which clearly isn't the case if it expires in the same month. Hopeless.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Where's the Bullring
Super Contributor

Post by Where's the Bullring »

windrush wrote: 17 Oct 2020 10:03 From what I have read on Facebook the vehicle is taxed but is out of MOT as when it was tested there is a long list of failures, some of which are downright dangerouus.

Pete.
I would take what you see on any social media with a pinch (or more) of salt. Who other than the owner would know what, if any, the failures were? I cannot see that the garage who did the MOT would announce any defects to anyone, even if a person knew which garage was involved.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Where's the Bullring wrote: 17 Oct 2020 13:39

Pete.
I would take what you see on any social media with a pinch (or more) of salt. Who other than the owner would know what, if any, the failures were? I cannot see that the garage who did the MOT would announce any defects to anyone, even if a person knew which garage was involved.
The reg number was looked up on the DVLA website, you can do that for any vehicle if you have the reg number and view the MOT history. I still do it with my old vehicles to see if they are still around.

Pete.
Where's the Bullring
Super Contributor

Post by Where's the Bullring »

Well, I never knew that. I would have thought that it would be against privacy or data protection laws or something along those lines. I suppose though it might be helpful if you are buying said car. But, if the seller could not show me a valid MOT certificate, I would not buy the car.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Where's the Bullring wrote: 18 Oct 2020 14:05 Well, I never knew that. I would have thought that it would be against privacy or data protection laws or something along those lines.
It only provides details about the car - not the driver or owner. Inanimate objects like cars aren't covered by GDPR. Looked up my own car - you'd never get any details about me from what they publish. Interestingly also looked up 3 of my father's company cars from the 70s/early 80s - all of them showing as no tax since the late 80s and no MoTs, so presumably scrapped, but no apparent cross-referencing with any details of that.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I thought that a car with no MoT can be parked as the offence is driving it, although I suppose it depends how you interpret 'used' in the following extract.

https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot

Report a vehicle with no MOT

Contact your local police to report a car, van, motorcycle or other vehicle that does not have an MOT.

You can only report a vehicle with no MOT to the police if it’s being used on a road.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

spectrum64 wrote: 19 Oct 2020 10:04 I thought that a car with no MoT can be parked as the offence is driving it, although I suppose it depends how you interpret 'used' in the following extract.

Contact your local police to report a car, van, motorcycle or other vehicle that does not have an MOT.

You can only report a vehicle with no MOT to the police if it’s being used on a road.
Vehicles don't use themselves, somebody has to be using them; pretty sure it would need to have a person inside it to be being "used" (especially since further down it says "If the vehicle is abandoned the police cannot deal with it. You need to report abandoned vehicles to your local council.")
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Abandoned vehicles have always been a bugbear where we live as it’s a very quiet / residential / no-through / back road so many think they can leave cars up here
Parking isn’t good (better now with permits) and we all know each other, so even when we get a students with cars (and there’s not many) we get to know them – that means any odd ones left for a while, do stand out
Many tend to be no tax (nor MOT) and a quick report gets them moved, usually within a week - if its traceable the owners move them, if not it takes a little longer before they are towed off
Abandoned ones with Tax / MOT get reported to the council after 3-4wks and they contact the owner in case stolen or if they live elsewhere and question why it’s not moved etc – it may the get moved, if they cannot contact an owner (i.e. not registered) it gets towed
But in all cases it will get an orange warning notice on it for a short time

However her is now another ‘level’ – Permit Parking, and we have a good example at the moment
There is a car parked which shows to have tax (form Sept this year) and MOT until Jan 2021 but it hasn’t moved for 5 weeks now, and has had 4 parking tickets on it – 3 still on as first one was removed – and not sure why it hasn’t had more since?
We know the house the owner ‘was’ in, and there where 4 other non-permit cars going there, (one still visits at times) and for a while a lot of ‘unrelated’ people in it (8 all told) so was reported as an unlicensed HMO (it is on the market for sale as well) but currently has a family living there with an Irish registered car – and NO permit (they’ve had one ticket so far)

So the owner doesn’t live here now, the car has been reported by a few of us but still sits there -other problem is someone in the road isn’t happy as its now been keyed quite badly down both sides, bonnet and boot lid
I have told the council about that, and that its becoming dangerous as that person may go further with the damage and possibly damage others whilst doing it (and I’ve yet to find out who, as no one is owning up to it)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Pooneil wrote: 19 Oct 2020 15:13
spectrum64 wrote: 19 Oct 2020 10:04 I thought that a car with no MoT can be parked as the offence is driving it, although I suppose it depends how you interpret 'used' in the following extract.

Vehicles don't use themselves, somebody has to be using them; pretty sure it would need to have a person inside it to be being "used" (especially since further down it says "If the vehicle is abandoned the police cannot deal with it. You need to report abandoned vehicles to your local council.")
What I was suggesting was that despite the tone of the article, the vehicle is taxed and it seems no offence is committed here as long as it is not driven. Being parked with no MoT is not a problem.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Agreed.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

all of the comments on facebook seem like a Lynch mob.
The vehicle is perfectly legally parked, even if it is a bit of an eye sore.
Most comments are of the "what would happen if it accidentally caught fire" and pay no attention to the facts
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

And that’s the underlying problem – if an abandoned car does get ‘attacked’ or broken into etc then it can lead to problems as may influence the perpetrators to do the same with other ‘legitimate’ parked cars in the area – hence why they ask if the car is unlocked / damaged /possibly dangerous etc

A few years ago we had an odd one near us - a Nissan Micra appeared in the road that was unlocked, the tailgate wouldn’t shut properly and had a load of stuff inside (we tried to make it safe out of courtesy but the locks where jammed) – a check showed it had ‘some’ tax but no MOT
It then sat for 3wks, so we (residents) asked all the houses nearby (especially the couple of student lets) if anyone knew about it but nothing
One of the neighbours said he would sort it out and contacted the police - oddly he got told not to touch it as it belonged to a Chief of Police, which did seem odd!
I reported it to the council as abandoned and maybe stolen / broken into as unlocked etc (also opened the tailgate and left it, and mentioned that it only had 2wks tax left - it got towed away

A quiet word with some police mates and turned out it belonged to a student daughter of a ‘Chief Officer’ (but they couldn’t say where) – a chat with the then University Liaison Officer (another friend) and we found the girl lived down near Palmer Park, and it was well known who her father was as it had been ‘boasted’ about
So a police chief who allows his daughter to try and ‘hide’ a car with no tax / MOT in a back street, seems to know about it, and other officers try and cover for it………………..does make you wonder at times?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!

Return to “Chatty Person”