"The Moors" 82 Star Road

KarenB
Contributor

Re: "The Moors" 82 Star Road

Post by KarenB »

Nothing much has happened to it since attempts at renovation a couple of years ago were called to a halt. I understand that the previous owner called in a surveyor when uncovering some of the beams and was told the whole building was unsafe. There are now metal struts (or whatever they are called) inside keeping everything up. It was sold again in December 2015 for 175,000 and virtually nothing has been done with it since then.
chick

Post by chick »

Oh wow! That's a shame. Thanks for the update Karen. I guess it's just too much of a money pit with all the historic restrictions on it...
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I believe there are grants available for the renovation and/or upkeep of historic listed buildings. Although I also think they're quite difficult to get.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Brita

Post by Brita »

I'm so sorry to hear that renovation has stalled on this gorgeous little building. I complained about the original planning application as the building's integrity would have been compromised but I don't know why the application was withdrawn. I was relieved when the building was sold to someone who was keen to renovate it. It looks as though it became too expensive a project to continue. What worries me now is that the current owners will let the house get to such a state that it will fall down on its own and then a lot of money can be made selling the property as a building plot. There used to be a similar cottage on the plot next door, where newish terraced houses are now. The property is on a flood plain. Apparently, in the 1940s the Thames flooded and water went to the bottom of Donkin Hill. The land behind the property was marshy (now built on) so I can understand the name. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that someone locally can get Historic England or RBC interested in the property to see whether they can get some sort of commitment that the property will be renovated and not left to rot.
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

welcome to the Forum, I can only agree with you. Yes the Floods reached Donkin Hill, after the heavy snowfalls of 1947 no doubt

https://goo.gl/images/irGpwK
https://goo.gl/images/2Q7CiC
https://goo.gl/images/ogrqe9
https://goo.gl/images/9ZdTxq
https://goo.gl/images/nrfecy
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Hi Brita and welcome to the forum
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Planning application :

82 Star Road Caversham Reading RG4 5B

Description: The erection of a single detached dwelling and restoration of the existing listed cottage, including the construction of a replacement extension.

http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... Ref=180354
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I saw that on Right Move and wondered if it was the house....

Nice to see you back Avis, hope you are keeping well 🙂
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

It's a lot of money for a 2 bed house.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

A 3 bed extended semi has just sold for the same near me, with garage and parking too....

It IS a lot for a two bed with the bathroom downstairs IMHO
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

What a transformation!
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hello Avis :) hope alls well:)

I dint know what it looked like originally, but that’s a lot of money for that as it is!i

Just looked back and have now seen it.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Even for Reading that does seem expensive? For exactly the same price not far from us, converted from a barn around fourty years ago and this is also considered to be far too expensive! https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/55380781

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 15 Jul 2020 19:13 Even for Reading that does seem expensive? For exactly the same price not far from us, ....
Pete.
That’s nice Pete - love the garden, but not so sure about the galleried landing looking about the roof void :?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It looks lovely and it’s great that they’ve kept all the old features, great kitchen and bathroom but the price ! 😮
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 15 Jul 2020 19:28 It looks lovely and it’s great that they’ve kept all the old features, great kitchen and bathroom but the price ! 😮
Imagine what it would sell for round here!

A bungalow nearby with not half those features sold,, just before lockdown, for £640,000!
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Only Just seen this & the second link does not work, only a file not found 404 error.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

buseng wrote: 16 Jul 2020 08:25 Only Just seen this & the second link does not work, only a file not found 404 error.
... hmm that’s odd - it worked yesterday. Pretty boring stuff though, just pages of building intentions.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

piwacket wrote: 15 Jul 2020 19:25
windrush wrote: 15 Jul 2020 19:13 Even for Reading that does seem expensive? For exactly the same price not far from us, ....
Pete.
That’s nice Pete - love the garden, but not so sure about the galleried landing looking about the roof void :?
An elderly lady lived alone there Pi, she passed away a few weeks ago so the daughter is selling it. It's the only property around here that faces along the hillside instead of facing across the valley, that's because it was a barn until the late seventies. The local planning officer bought it and converted it, somehow he got planning permission easily, I wonder how that happened? :whistle1: It's only ever had a retired couple living there, there is a stream that flows through the garden as well which isn't shown on the pics. The house next door to it was on the market for one million but it didn't sell and was withdrawn. There is a bungalow behind which has been on the market for two years at £650,000 but that hasn't had any interest. Our house is just across the road and valued at £150,000 and they sell quickly:-)

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 16 Jul 2020 09:55 ....on the market for one million but it didn't sell and was withdrawn. There is a bungalow behind which has been on the market for two years at £650,000 but that hasn't had any interest. Our house is just across the road and valued at £150,000 and they sell quickly:-)

Pete.
Well, I guess it’s Who’s buying and the economy in the area... the young couple who bought that bungalow over the road, have two young boys and wanted to move across the river for better schools and he works locally.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Yes that makes a difference Pi, property here is much cheaper that down south of course. I doubt that we would get a three bedroomed mid terrace with a garden and detatched garage on a private road for £150,000 in the Reading area but of course there is very little industry around here now compared to when we moved here in 1982 so many folk tend to live here and travel to work in places like Derby. Reading will never be cheap now that it is almost an overflow town from the London area. Our town is more expensive than others in the area though as it favours tourism, and the locals have to accept that taxes and house prices are higher. Travel ten miles further north from here and house prices are much higher again, that £450.000 house would be £600,000+ but travel twenty miles east and it would be around the £300,000 mark. Many youngsters born here move away eastwards when they want a house and commute back here for work.

Pete.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

buseng wrote: 16 Jul 2020 08:25
Only Just seen this & the second link does not work, only a file not found 404 error.
I think you might have to start from scratch - the Reading Planning site has its own mysterious ways of working! The planning application number is 180354 - the document is listed under Other Documentation as "Heritage Statement" - the photos of the building as it was start on page 26.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Avis wrote: 16 Jul 2020 14:16
I think you might have to start from scratch - the Reading Planning site has its own mysterious ways of working! The planning application number is 180354 - the document is listed under Other Documentation as "Heritage Statement" - the photos of the building as it was start on page 26.
Mysterious ways indeed - I too got a 404 error on Wednesday, but having just clicked on the link in your reply, it goes straight to the report - and yes indeed what a difference!
Thank you!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Pooneil wrote: 17 Jul 2020 01:33
Avis wrote: 16 Jul 2020 14:16

Mysterious ways indeed - I too got a 404 error on Wednesday, but having just clicked on the link in your reply, it goes straight to the report - and yes indeed what a difference!
Thank you!
Still getting "404".
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Ditto here. I might be a philistine or just an alien, bu that two bed place doesn’t appeal to me at all. Has a creepy look about it. Much prefer the Mattock place - that’s got lovely bones that some updating would transform. Wouldn’t touch that’s garden, that looks perfect to me, but inside needs a bit of redecorating.

Wonder if the grandfather clock goes with the house 😁
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Here’s a bargain, it was on the market for just under £500,000 now it’s £400,000 !
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/detai ... 6655d1561f
It’s a lovely old place but they just can’t sell it.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Jul 2020 08:59 Ditto here. "...Much prefer the Mattock place - that’s got lovely bones that some updating would transform. Wouldn’t touch that’s garden, that looks perfect to me, but inside needs a bit of redecorating.
:bigeyes1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 17 Jul 2020 09:39
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Jul 2020 08:59 Ditto here. "...Much prefer the Mattock place - that’s got lovely bones that some updating would transform. Wouldn’t touch that’s garden, that looks perfect to me, but inside needs a bit of redecorating.
:bigeyes1:
Heheh. That just means the basic structure of the building - it’s skeleton :-)
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Jul 2020 08:59 Ditto here. I might be a philistine or just an alien, bu that two bed place doesn’t appeal to me at all. Has a creepy look about it. Much prefer the Mattock place - that’s got lovely bones that some updating would transform. Wouldn’t touch that’s garden, that looks perfect to me, but inside needs a bit of redecorating.

Wonder if the grandfather clock goes with the house 😁
If you can't even spell the name of the town correctly we don't want you here anyway! :whistle1: It would keep you fit climbing the 1 in 5 hill up to it though. :wink: Clock isn't included, it was a big house for one elderly lady who struggled with walking but she remained there until the end came a couple of months ago. What you can't see is that the front of the house is partly hidden from view by a large tree that forms a 'canopy' over the front gate, our postman split his head open on it a couple of years ago so 'Doctor Pete' had to patch him up to stop the bleeding and apply a dressing. The lady was very tiny so she didn't have that problem! :-)

Pete.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Yes well thank you for the sprellink les-on WR, so glad of your assiststance 🙄

I WAS hoping to fly the space ship back to the Peak District for more walking later this year, as there’s always such a warm welcome from the natives <sarcastic remark alert> . Might have to go somewhere friendlier now. Like Mogadishu.

I bet that’s not spelled correctly either!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Happy to oblige with the spelling lesson Vot, I'm guessing that I would have problems with your planets native tongue as well so it's perfectly understandable. :-)

Pete.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”