Jazz at the Griffin Caversham.

General chat forum
adehollandjazz
Contributor

Jazz at the Griffin Caversham.

Post by adehollandjazz »

The first Sunday of every month......Jazz at the GRIFFIN...The ADE HOLLAND TRIO...3.30 ' till 6.00.....SUN Feb 3.....March 3.....April 7......May 5........great food great swing jazz free admission.
Captain Corbyn
Contributor

Re: Jazz at the Griffin Caversham.

Post by Captain Corbyn »

Will Gordon be playing?
D6equj5

Post by D6equj5 »

As an aside, I recall, in CB days, the carpark behind The Griffin was known as "December wet side". The carpark on the opposite side of t'river being known as "December dry side". I never knew why.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Missed this before – Not heard of that naming before – Thameside Prom was always known as Decembers, but it was part of naming locations, not sure who came up with it though
And it was the only one that stuck due to its popularity (burger van) at the time

The only car-park I’ve known behind the Griffin was their own, however they did have a CB radio club based there called the Flying Lion Breakers, so maybe what they called it - I did became an honorary member at one time and didn’t here that name (I was an honorary member of many CB clubs at the time due to being longest running chairman of the biggest one in Reading)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

D6equj5 wrote: 30 Jan 2019 21:36 As an aside, I recall, in CB days, the carpark behind The Griffin was known as "December wet side". The carpark on the opposite side of t'river being known as "December dry side". I never knew why.
Is/was one side of the river more susceptible to flooding that the other?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote: 05 Feb 2019 13:38
D6equj5 wrote: 30 Jan 2019 21:36 As an aside, I recall, in CB days, the carpark behind The Griffin was known as "December wet side". The carpark on the opposite side of t'river being known as "December dry side". I never knew why.
The Griffin side could flood at times – the landlord back then had a cruiser moored at the back of the car-park, one time it flooded, and the boat ended up sat on the bank
We went for a look at the time!
Cost a bit to get it re-floated!

Other side could flood but not as bad – and never (not that I had seen) up towards the road where the burger van and we all met etc used to be (as shown below as the car-park used to be bigger)
dec.JPG
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Feb 2019 14:58
Pooneil wrote: 05 Feb 2019 13:38
The Griffin side could flood at times – the landlord back then had a cruiser moored at the back of the car-park, one time it flooded, and the boat ended up sat on the bank
We went for a look at the time!
Cost a bit to get it re-floated!

Other side could flood but not as bad – and never (not that I had seen) up towards the road where the burger van and we all met etc used to be (as shown below as the car-park used to be bigger)dec.JPG
Sounds a reasonably plausible explanation of the origins of wetside and dryside...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
D6equj5

Post by D6equj5 »

Yes I think you're right both Poo and OM
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Was that the burger van that did a full English in a giant bun?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Feb 2019 22:44 Was that the burger van that did a full English in a giant bun?
Yes - now trying to remember the guys name who ran it!

Also been trying to remember some of the other places by their 'handles'

Sounds a reasonably plausible explanation of the origins of wetside and dryside...
True - however I was a regular down there (and the Griffin) but still can't say I ever heard it called wet or dry sides

I was well known down there for my 'party trick' - to get in you had to drive down the side road almost to the prom itself, then back up through the car-park
My trick was to use a shortcut 'over' the low wall by the toilets as I had a Land-Rover at the time!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Blimey OM. That burger van was a post-club must have for us lot, back in the day......
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 06 Feb 2019 08:06 Blimey OM. That burger van was a post-club must have for us lot, back in the day......
Oh, better be careful what I say then as may have seen you about down there – or worse…………….. :whistle1:

I was there 3-4 nights per week after going to other CB clubs at the time, but always on a Sunday night after our own club meeting at the University
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Steady on lad!

I was usually the single alien amongst a big group of chaps - all mates I grew up with or the Alledged inherited from me. Used to go to the club in Caversham that been everything including an Indian restaurant! Had a few late nights in my mis spent yoof. And why not I say!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 06 Feb 2019 18:53 Steady on lad!

I was usually the single alien amongst a big group of chaps - all mates I grew up with or the Alledged inherited from me. Used to go to the club in Caversham that been everything including an Indian restaurant! Had a few late nights in my mis spent yoof. And why not I say!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It gets worse as we use to go over that club a lot

Although given the propensity of places we both seemed to have visited about the same times I am sure you must have been stalking me all this time...……………………………………. :whistle1:

Are you after my 'special' painting in the attic?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Come on Oldman, surely you must remember seeing a yellow person wearing a white basin on its head? Even in Caversham they would stand out in a crowd. :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Not in the 80s WR, lololol.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 07 Feb 2019 09:04 Come on Oldman, surely you must remember seeing a yellow person wearing a white basin on its head? Even in Caversham they would stand out in a crowd. :whistle1:

Pete.
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2019 11:25 Not in the 80s WR, lololol.
Agree, they all looked like that back then - its how she got away with it for so long………….

Which is why I am so worried now!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Wozza
Contributor

Post by Wozza »

OLDMAN wrote: 06 Feb 2019 07:48
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Feb 2019 22:44 Was that the burger van that did a full English in a giant bun?
Yes - now trying to remember the guys name who ran it!

Also been trying to remember some of the other places by their 'handles'

If I remember correctly and thinking of the right burger van, his name was George. He used to have a collection swear box raising money for the RSPCA. Trouble was one of his burgers was known as a 'F**K Off' (named as when you got it you used to say F off I cant eat all that ) :). It was like a meal in a french stick.
The other car park at Hills Meadow was know as Novembers. No idea whey they were named after months though?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Hi Wozza and welcome to the forum

Yes I think you may be right with the name George

And yes I can remember Hills Meadow as Novembers - problem was most other places didn't get used as much so the names went in the mists of time

And also no idea why months!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2019 11:25 Not in the 80s WR, lololol.
Ah, I had long gone from the area by the 80's. Must be why mother warned me to 'never travel alone north of the river son' but alas I did and 44 years later I'm still suffering! :whistle1: Never joined a CB club, I only ever used them for work and didn't bother outside of that, but they (clubs) were popular for a while.

Pete.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

windrush wrote: 07 Feb 2019 09:04 Come on Oldman, surely you must remember seeing a yellow person wearing a white basin on its head? Even in Caversham they would stand out in a crowd. :whistle1:
Nah. If alien human-suit technology has advanced far enough to enable a large green lizard to pass himself off as Michael Gove, I'm sure that VoT can pass off as somebody almost human as well. Indeed I've actually met VoT at one or more of the forum get-togethers, and I can affirm that she does a much better impression of being a member of the species homo sapiens than the aforementioned large green lizard.

:-) :-) :-)
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Ah you have the advantage over me there Chris, I have not encountered the young ( :whistle1: ) lady ( :whistle1: ) in person so bow to your knowledge! One day perhaps, although 'the alleged' sounds more like my type of person as well. :-)

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 07 Feb 2019 15:55 Ah you have the advantage over me there Chris, I have not encountered the young ( :whistle1: ) lady ( :whistle1: ) in person so bow to your knowledge! One day perhaps, although 'the alleged' sounds more like my type of person as well. :-)

Pete.
Oh I think you have Pete, a couple of years ago at the Christmas Meet....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Agree Pi. Clearly I made SUCH an impression - not! I knew that Klingon Cloaking device was worth buying, heheh. I have a vague (alcohol fogged) memory of said long burger creating and IIRC it was indeed known thus. I believe it had fried eggs, burger, bacon and cheese, at least. How my metabolism coped I’ve no idea.

What with the Human League hair cut, the Spandau Ballet/MCHammer-esque trews, wrap blouses and leather batwing tie waist jacket, I probably DID look like an alien. I still have that jacket now. Dark ‘racing’ green with textured revere collars in dark beige leather. Ooooo I looked lush. I must find it and put up a pic.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Yes I do remember Vot saying that she was there but I didn't actually know at the time which one she was! Presumably the strange one? :whistle1: I'm not as well up on people's real names as you local folk, and some only stayed for a short while anyway and with me being shy (and Mrs W even more so) didn't get to talk with many of them. Some time in the future maybe, but wear that basin and then I will recognize you easily.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 07 Feb 2019 19:09 Yes I do remember Vot saying that she was there but I didn't actually know at the time which one she was! Presumably the strange one? :whistle1: I'm not as well up on people's real names as you local folk, and some only stayed for a short while anyway and with me being shy (and Mrs W even more so) didn't get to talk with many of them. Some time in the future maybe, but wear that basin and then I will recognize you easily.

Pete.
Xmas 2016 at the Tuns - ‘she’ was the weird one sat in the corner, think she had a flouncy scarf on

Left early to regurgitate said meal in her space ship to save for the family later………well there was enough of it
And we all know how weird these aliens are!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Oh cheers chaps! Could you be any more flattering?? You’re like a bunch of overgrown school boys, lol.

If you’re not careful, I shall have to reveal my true identity and what I use as a spaceship. It’s a bus and I have a Thai heritage. Think OM had a Close Encounter with me once.................

Now,pardon me whilst I head home. There’s a family I need to regurgitate for :-)
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

I popped into the Griffin this weekend and must admit their food portions have reduced. I don't want to blame it "BrExit" and it affecting food costs but the quantity of meat has definitely reduced.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

I wonder if they will be able to host outdoor entertainment when they reopen
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Government advice is no live music or entertainment so its unlikely for a while. 2 reasons apparently projecting voices by singing mean virus droplets can travel further, secondly live entertainment leads to bigger gatherings which means social distancing is harder to achieve.

We normally go to a campsite every year which has good quality live entertainment in the early evening. They are not having any this year as they are not allowed to have live events.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I was watching a cyber busk at the weekend, and they said that apparently singers need to stand at least 6 metres from people, compared to the normal 2m. Their suggested solution was to play standing with their backs to the audience! :whistle1:
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer

Return to “Chatty Person”