Have you seen this? ... just amusement!

General chat forum
piwacket

Have you seen this? ... just amusement!

Post by piwacket »

https://youtu.be/X59cgXHh_nc

:bigeyes1:
(Don’t they have kettles in the U S of A?)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
KeithW
Super Contributor

Re: Have you seen this? ... just amusement!

Post by KeithW »

piwacket wrote: 11 Jun 2020 19:37 (Don’t they have kettles in the U S of A?)
The boring answer is that they only rarely have kettles. Without getting too technical, their domestic electrical system is such that things which use a lot of power would normally be wired in rather than plugged in. A tumble dryer, for example, would usually have a 'permanent' connection rather than a plug.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Thanks :) seems odd, but then they don’t seem to like Tea much anyway. But just to boiled a small quantity of water they’d be useful....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

One of our carers lives alone and doesn't own a kettle and she just uses hot water straight from the hot tap in the sink to make her tea and coffee, my friend in Reading always uses the microwave for any hot drinks so it isn't that unusual really. My neighbours two grandchildren, both in their late thirties/early forties, have never drunk hot drinks in their lives and live on either plain water or squash, they both have teenage kids so perhaps they drink tea/coffee and have a kettle for them?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Americans have some petty revolting culinary habits in many ways. After all they invented Mcdonalds
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

I just wonder where the people in the video got the idea this is how you make tea. I'm sure a quick Googe would have given them the correct answer, with the exception of the old controversy, milk in before the teabag or after? After obviously!
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Stewart wrote: 12 Jun 2020 08:04 I just wonder where the people in the video got the idea this is how you make tea. I'm sure a quick Googe would have given them the correct answer, with the exception of the old controversy, milk in before the teabag or after? After obviously!
I think it's MIF when using a pot, last when using a bag in mug...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

Correct Ollycat! I forgot about teapots, never use one, only see them now in tea rooms and restaurants..well not even there at the moment!
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Marriott hotel in Miami had no kettles, only a coffee perculator, which made a good cup of tea when we stuffed a tea bag in it.

French friends in Brittany had no kettle or perculator and only ever used a saucepan.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

They don’t use kettles in Spain either. They have stove top Bailetti-style percolators or electric coffee percolators like in Miami (I’ve been told someone boiled their knickers in them once.....) or indeed, a saucepan. I’ve not been to,Spain for years but it used to drive me nuts to boil a pan of water to make tea. What with that faff Andrew the terrible taste of their milk, I didn’t bother in the end. Coffee was nicer anyway as they had a chap who ground it for you up in the village.

They also don’t exactly have the most modern of toasters in some of the houses. Looks like a couple of wired up vertical cooling racks, and about as safe!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

In France once I went to visit friends of my host who lived in a very rural area, they were so excited for me to make them a real cup of tea, but they didn’t own a kettle so I had to use a saucepan, probably not the best cuppa I ever made.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

I stayed in a Premier Inn once where someone had used the kettle as a coffee maker. When in the US, I use the coffee maker to just boil the water, I take my own fruit tea bags so no milk or nasty Liptons tea required! There's a fabulous hotel down in Devon where you get a proper fridge, and a jug of milk, a kettle and a pod coffee machine. And a jar of homemade biscuits. I hate the "upgrade" option where you get a nespresso machine, and no kettle!
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Stewart wrote: 12 Jun 2020 09:10 Correct Ollycat! I forgot about teapots, never use one, only see them now in tea rooms and restaurants..well not even there at the moment!
Using teabags is very anarchic. Proper tea is theft.
carless-jane
Super Contributor

Post by carless-jane »

I dislike tea and have only drunk it a couple of times in order to be polite. Hate it with milk and sugar, the smell makes me gag, but ceylon tea with lemon or various 'infusions' are drinkable. I once had a party at my French house that started at 4pm with 'afternoon tea' , mostly so I could invite a couple of elderly voisins who went to bed before 9. Made tea in a pot, on a tray with milk jug and sugar bowl, cup and saucer and Madame Aguillon was well impressed. My English friends mostly went straight on to the wine with the cucumber sarnies and cake!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

That’s something I plan on having once establishments open again - a proper afternoon tea with cakes, sarnies the whole shooting match, to treat myself 😊
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Our Sunday morning breakfast is grapefruit followed by scrambled eggs on toast and tea made in my grandmother’s willow pattern teapot, I also use a tea cosy, it’s become a ritual that we really enjoy.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

“Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. ”
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I always use a teapot with loose tea, cozy and strainer, probably thrice daily. This isn't McDonalds, and standards need to be maintained. SWMBO sometimes uses a teabag in a cup, but she's not English and can be allowed the odd lapse.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

carless-jane wrote: 12 Jun 2020 10:52 My English friends mostly went straight on to the wine with the cucumber sarnies and cake!
Was that a dig at me, or was this a different party?. :-)
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

mikejee wrote: 11 Jun 2020 23:26 Americans have some petty revolting culinary habits in many ways. After all they invented Mcdonalds
And the rest of the revolting junk food "restaurants" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I did it my way.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Bentley wrote: 14 Jun 2020 17:04
mikejee wrote: 11 Jun 2020 23:26 Americans have some petty revolting culinary habits in many ways. After all they invented Mcdonalds
And the rest of the revolting junk food "restaurants" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I was in Houston last year, just for a week, with a bunch of younger Norwegian engineers. They'd been there a while and delighted in showing me various establishments for breakfast on the way to work.

IHOP - International House of Pancakes sticks in my mind with its 2000 Calorie breakfast. On two days I didn't eat at all. having said that the $85 steak I had one evening was very good indeed, and I don't eat meat except when in Rome. Luckily, I wasn't paying.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

About five years ago we had a week in New York. The most dismal city I have ever been to, the best food we had was in an "Irish" pub.
We tried "breakfast" in one place that was advertising an "English" meal. It was revolting.
The best thing about New York was the Lindt chocolate shop.
I have also been to Boston, Washington, San Antonio, and all over New England. For food, you can keep the lot,
I did it my way.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

"The French live to eat, the English eat to live, Americans refuel."

Don't know who said that.

Return to “Chatty Person”