Station retail park - consultation

buseng
Super Contributor

Re: Station retail park - consultation

Post by buseng »

KeithW wrote: 26 Sep 2019 20:02
dave m wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:33
Tommy wrote: 26 Sep 2019 10:31

Yep. We're certainly going to need an extra fire station or two in Reading with all these flats.
It's so close to caversham road station they could just use a long hose and leave the fire engine parked up?
That will work for a while, but the fire station itself is earmarked for development into flats.
I hope you are joking, but wouldn't put it past RBC to give permission though.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

We go to Shepherds House Hill Aldi weekly, the fruit there ( blue berries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries ) and the veg lasts me as long as Waitrose does and the assistants have always been pleasant and friendly. Their meat and fish ( thanks for the tip Liz ) are good too
I also bought a secateurs and snip set, the secateurs fell apart after 2 years but the snips are still going strong and they are very well used. They were £5:99 😀 No complaints 🙂

As for the development...why isn't part of the remit to provide details of the car access scheme they are going to use ?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Car wise- the development is hardly off the drawing board . It would be 10 years before the car access scheme was needed
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The flats opposite the Lido are well on the way, how are those at the Iceland site going ? It's hardly as if there's a shortage of blocks if flats in central Reading to canvas business from 🙂
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

buseng wrote: 26 Sep 2019 20:10
KeithW wrote: 26 Sep 2019 20:02
dave m wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:33

It's so close to caversham road station they could just use a long hose and leave the fire engine parked up?
That will work for a while, but the fire station itself is earmarked for development into flats.
I hope you are joking, but wouldn't put it past RBC to give permission though.
Six already sold off-plan according to my sources. Messrs. Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Seems to be a trend of flat fires in London at the moment.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

The most recent of those comprehensively destroyed a four story block in what the press describes as "an American-style complex". Which made me wonder at the time if "American-style" is estate agent code for "built of wood".

Certainly lots of residential buildings in the States are built of wood. On the other hand US legislation is much stricter than ours on the provision of operational sprinkler systems, which may not be a coincidence. If this was a wooden building, and it did not have sprinklers, then it does serve to illustrate the pit-falls of cherry-picking ideas from elsewhere without fully understanding how they fit together to make a whole. Something anybody living in one of the "American-style" developments at Green Park should probably ponder on.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

OneGorman wrote: 25 Sep 2019 17:02
Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:42 The Range Unit is huge - not sure they'll be able to find anywhere big enough in Reading.
Don’t forget the new Toys R Us site that has been empty since they went bust.
Looks like that is being lined up to be a gym:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... s-17020274
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/loss- ... ssp-scheme

Updated proposals include a reduction in the height of the office building. The usual case of proposing something a few storeys taller, conducting an exhibition, and then reducing the height 'in response to the consultation'.

If they reduce the tallest building of the scheme, the residential blocks should be reduced in height accordingly, so that the scheme is more balanced.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

The loss of Aldi the biggest concern... LOL Theres a Tesco not a million miles away, as well as Friar St on their door step, and is it Waitrose and Iceland just over the bridge in Caversham?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It seems a bit perverse to build all the flats that are planned and take away a quick and easy supermarket for them to visit without cars ....

I wouldn,t want to walk with my weekly shop from Tescos to the Fire Station, don't forget some of those flats are three bed, not just a shop for a single person or couple but probably a family ....and where there are the leisure spaces for those families ?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

The biggest loss is not for the flat dwellers, who will know what to expect, but those who currently drive to Aldi, as there won’t be any parking, even if a shop the size of the current Aldi was included. I’m sure the two big Tesco’s will be very happy, though
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I always have a smile when people say – ‘Ah but there are other supermarkets nearby’ in these situations
Many thousands of people (me included) will or do not want to shop at other supermarkets ‘nearby’

I don’t use Tesco in principle of their poor H&S record, the poor way they treat staff and I generally dislike them – in fact, apart from a newspaper a few months back I can’t remember the last time I went in one
Waitrose / M&S / Sainsburys, I find very overpriced for average quality foods
Morrisons is a real no-no due to their very poor H&S and the ‘attitude’ I’ve experienced in them

Only places we use these days are a mix of Asda and Aldi, with occasional visits to Lidl and Co-Op

Must admit this one going won’t have a real effect on us as we only visited it when in the area (or going to The Range - will miss that place if not re-located)

There again maybe some new Aldi's soon - https://www.getreading.co.uk/whats-on/s ... w-17185130
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2019 11:20

Only places we use these days are a mix of Asda and Aldi, with occasional visits to Lidl and Co-Op

ASDA are hardly a good employer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50246335
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

dave m wrote: 04 Nov 2019 12:03
OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2019 11:20

ASDA are hardly a good employer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50246335
Agree, to a point (read all the article) and its all being negotiated at the moment - but Tesco have had the same, plus more draconian rules for the last 20yrs or so!

I had friends etc who worked there - and many of them are now at Asda!

One good example - timed toilet breaks that where it counted from leaving, and arriving back at your work spot
Great if near the toilet but impossible for some the other side of the store………...!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

The big supermarket chains are under pressure to morph to an Aldi-Lidl model and it’s hard to be optimistic about employment rights in the future for all, the way things are going at the moment.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

These plans aren't the most attractive, nor ambitious for such a prime site. Hopefully they can still be improved. I also get the impression it will be some time before anything happens as they're likely to wait for leases to run down, unless more go the way of Mothercare.
My writeup of the plans:
http://readingonthames.com/2019/11/04/r ... ping-park/
Don't forget to feedback to the developer.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Agree the flats should be taller to make better use and sense of the land they’re using. Same for the Wickes site. I just don’t understand the wasteful plans for several stories when land is so sparse and these are all central, so going to ten to fifteen stories wouldn’t be so offensive.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Agree that density makes sense and empowers greater public transport use and hopefully provision of that and other services.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OneGorman wrote: 09 Nov 2019 22:24 Agree the flats should be taller to make better use and sense of the land they’re using. Same for the Wickes site. I just don’t understand the wasteful plans for several stories when land is so sparse and these are all central, so going to ten to fifteen stories wouldn’t be so offensive.
I know there aren't many houses in the area but the problem is - would you like to live in their shadow?

I wasn't against tall buildings but our enforced time spent in Chatham Tower hit home to us how bleak it is between the those buildings around that area and the dark shadows from them
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Climate change will help that?
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

THC wrote: 12 Nov 2019 13:56 Climate change will help that?
In summer it would be an advantage - streets in Andalusia are very narrow to provide shade for instance.

At other times of year the shade and wind-tunnel effect would not make it a pleasant place to walk. Bleak as Oldman said.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We moved into CT late afternoon on Thursday 12th January 2017 – the day after our house fire, as sorted by insurance
Nice apartment, great view but we only had the clothes we stood in, plus a undamaged / wearable items recovered from the house that morning, so after a good shower etc decided to just have a drink / takeaway – then get some bits on Friday…………….13th………………..

It snowed a blizzard that night, so we crept round to The Butlers, then later to a kebab place on Oxford Rd – it felt very ‘exposed’ until back amongst the buildings, then very foreboding
Did the same the second night, then realised it wasn’t much further to walk along to town / Hope Tap if we cut through the building’s courtyard – and that was also a ‘nicer’ walk
In all that time it was always cold and dark even on bright sunny days - walked through since on a very hot day, and it didn’t feel any better…………..

We stayed there until end of February when we got moved to a bigger apartment (until September once house was all sorted)
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 Nov 2019 15:53 It snowed a blizzard that night, so we crept round to The Butlers, then later to a kebab place on Oxford Rd – it felt very ‘exposed’ until back amongst the buildings, then very foreboding
Did the same the second night, then realised it wasn’t much further to walk along to town / Hope Tap if we cut through the building’s courtyard – and that was also a ‘nicer’ walk
In all that time it was always cold and dark even on bright sunny days - walked through since on a very hot day, and it didn’t feel any better…………..
Interesting. I do that walk to the Butler (or something like it) most every Saturday - indeed I've just remembered you know that because I bumped into the two of you there just after your fire.

Whilst I certainly wouldn't say that I find the environs of Chatham Street Towers particularly attractive, I've never found it particularly worrying or unpleasant either. There is always a bit of foot traffic and lots of people in the gym that looks out onto the walkway. And I'd certainly find the route to the Hope Tap significantly more off-putting, especially having to cross a pair of IDR ramps and that particularly barren pavement past the Jobcentre (even when it hasn't had all its windows broken).

Plus the Butler is a much friendlier pub than the Hope Tap, but lets not go too far down that road lest it causes a reincarnation of our late 'spoons fancier.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I agree, wouldn’t say I find CT ‘particularly worrying or unpleasant’ either, just bleak – OH didn’t like it when going out in the dark on her own though
I did like the Butler (and it was nice to see you that evening) but found It odd for food but did pop in a few more times just for a drink

It got a bit ‘stir crazy’ / ‘claustrophobic’ in the apartment plus as not a lot of storage (just a small fridge freezer and two cupboards) and we found it awkward to have food in ready to cook which meant popping out a lot for stuff, so we got into a habit of me getting home, straight out to pub
We would either eat there or get a take-way on the way back

To get there / back we used the private courtyard (cut a large corner of route off) as there is a back gate right onto the roundabout, no problems crossing the IDR slip, always plenty of people walking along that route and into HT, plus a better choice of takeaways

And TBH only a minute or two difference to walk it!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Stargazer
Super Contributor

Post by Stargazer »

MickEdge wrote: 01 Nov 2019 13:53 The biggest loss is not for the flat dwellers, who will know what to expect, but those who currently drive to Aldi, as there won’t be any parking, even if a shop the size of the current Aldi was included. I’m sure the two big Tesco’s will be very happy, though
Yes, that'll include me. For those of us that live round Cardiff Road/Swansea Road it's the nearest decent supermarket, and I usually do my weekly shop there, picking up several times more than I could possibly carry home on foot. Yes, there are two Tescos, Waitrose in Caversham and Lidl by Reading West station, but try driving to them from our area when SSE are digging up the roads around Reading Bridge.

I really don't see where the flat dwellers there (who will mostly not have access to a car) will be expected to buy any proper quantities of food. I foresee huge fleets of Deliveroo scooters and Tesco vans constantly plying the area.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Planning application submission delayed until late January/early February.
'Let's Go Brandon'
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Updated plans.

I'm willing to bet that if they get planning permission (v. likely) Aviva Life & Pensions will eventually sell this on for a very tidy profit.

http://documents.reading.gov.uk/AnitePu ... 449694.pdf
'Let's Go Brandon'
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I think you would be lucky to get someone to take you up on that bet

Return to “Property developments in Reading”