Verto (Kings Road)

dave m
Super Contributor

Re: Verto (Kings Road)

Post by dave m »

Blimey there are a load of miserable people on here.
Everybody seems to claim to be an expert on architecture , and insists that the world was better in the 50's. If you knock down a time expired building and build a modern one, they moan.
People forget that most of the buildings demolished were pretty miserable and horrible to live in.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Modern architecture to my eyes is ugly, nothing to do with my age or the fifties, I’ve always found classical buildings more aesthetically pleasing. I’m fortunate to live in an area which has some beautiful architecture which I find life enhancing which very few modern buildings do.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

There was a campaign to get Kings Point listed
http://www.altreading.com/man-wants-save-kings-point/
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Met him once, bit loopy juice IMHO
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Looks quite sleek from Forbury Road and a new landmark from Castle Hill. A clear improvement on Kings Point. Strange that some still find a negative out of a positive. From the Abbey Ruins you can see 3 cranes on the skyline in different directions. Over the next few years there will be a lot more. Not everyone might like all things modern but there are many places elsewhere which would cry out for similar investment and regeneration.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

For those of you who like their buildings as they were - the restoration of the clock faces on Elizabeth Tower can be seen peeking from behind its scaffolding, and they have taken it all back to its original colouring. Not black, as it has been for many years, but the original blue. I think it looks amazing.
big ben.jpg
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

annap wrote: 21 Mar 2019 15:55 I think it looks amazing.
I agree. Wonder what Peter Bone thinks?. :-)
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Walk past it every day and I think it's a huge improvement. Can't wait for them to remove the hoardings so it will 'open up' the junction of Watlington Street and Kings Road. Would have been very easy to put something bland there, but there's enough architectural detail and shaping to stand out from the norm of flat builders.

The Elizabeth Tower clock restoration is exquisite of course.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Jack Strop wrote: 22 Mar 2019 09:37 Walk past it every day and I think it's a huge improvement. Can't wait for them to remove the hoardings so it will 'open up' the junction of Watlington Street and Kings Road. Would have been very easy to put something bland there, but there's enough architectural detail and shaping to stand out from the norm of flat builders.

The Elizabeth Tower clock restoration is exquisite of course.
:goodposting: Agree with both points!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

They took down the crane today, using a mobile crane outside the BoB. The road was closed.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

annap wrote: 21 Mar 2019 15:55 For those of you who like their buildings as they were - the restoration of the clock faces on Elizabeth Tower can be seen peeking from behind its scaffolding, and they have taken it all back to its original colouring. Not black, as it has been for many years, but the original blue. I think it looks amazing.
big ben.jpg
This is stunning, I saw a TV programme on its restoration. Each sheet of glass was also replaced to the original spec, each cut by hand some of it free hand! It was amazing to watch the skill. Gold leaf of course as well on the surrounds. A job well done.

I also like Verto - has something about it. I like the complexity of it, giving it a texture not seen in other buildings in Reading.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Lots of people seem to be moving into the the tower now. TBH I quite like it now
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Yep, it's a huge improvement. They've just finished putting in the riverside fencing and apart from the annoying little 'flower bed' on the corner of their plot opposite Thirsty Bear, the landscaping's really good.

Intrigued with their plans for the double-storey unit overlooking the river. If they could find the right restaurant tenant it could be a really great destination.
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
d8smt
Super Contributor

Post by d8smt »

A massive improvement. Would be even better if it were straight! Freaks me out a bit ever time I walk/drive past it.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”