Traffic

General chat forum
Mayfield

Traffic

Post by Mayfield »

Currently queueing to the Donkin Road junction to get to Playhatch.....where there are traffic lights and road works...😟 Then down to Sonning bridge
piwacket

Re: Traffic

Post by piwacket »

I was just reading in the Nextdoor site that it was due to flooding apparently, but yes there are traffic lights at Playhatch + sewage is being pumped into a Tanker there - and that Napier Road inc. Tesco area is also flooded.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

They've started the work on Castle Hill - the queues backed down onto the IDR last night.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

bert wrote: 19 Nov 2019 11:03 They've started the work on Castle Hill - the queues backed down onto the IDR last night.
What are they doing?
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

piwacket wrote: 19 Nov 2019 11:23
bert wrote: 19 Nov 2019 11:03 They've started the work on Castle Hill - the queues backed down onto the IDR last night.
What are they doing?
SGN till next year!
Attachments
Castle Hill.JPG
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

piwacket wrote: 19 Nov 2019 11:23
What are they doing?
Buseng beat me to it above. It's one lane going up and one lane going down Castle Hill outside the Castle Tap (so a lane is lost). Ongoing until January with a break during December for holidays...I'm curious as to whether they'll clear the roadworks during that break or just leave everything there and down tools!

I had to nip into town, so took a couple of photos:

View from Oxford Road bridge looking South towards the Police Station. The queue is on the left slip (going up to the roundabout at the bottom of Castle Hill), I think the other lanes maybe got clogged from people trying to get across. Maybe that was teething troubles and it won't be that bad in the future...

piwacket

Post by piwacket »

thanks both.
Phew, thank goodness I don't still have the Gallery, which was next to the Castle Tap (aka Horse & Groom) with the run up to Christmas being hectic - without that lot!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Daughter has decided to finish work early and come home at lunchtime, then work from home this afternoon. She was still sat at the Micklands turn 30 minutes after leaving us around 7:15.....Not fun, and tomorrow she'll have her toddler daughter in the car too..🙄

There's been a problem on the roundabout toward the Shoulder for years....I wonder if it was that again...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 19 Nov 2019 13:07 There's been a problem on the roundabout toward the Shoulder for years....I wonder if it was that again...
.. what problem? Apart from the land flooding just as you exit towards the Flowing Spring... and the bit just past the French Horn...
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Poor traffic management in Sonning this morning.

The three way set of temporary lights at the Playhatch roundabout caused a long queue from Sonning and of course drivers crossed the bridge without knowing about the jam and blocked the bridge for traffic going in the other direction. Gridlock. It was only when a clever person stood on the bridge and stopped the traffic that the situation eased.

Coming back this afternoon one set of lights had been turned off meaning traffic flowed through Sonning freely. However there was a long queue out of Reading towards Playhatch and also a long queue along Henley Road towards town.

Coincidentally at both times I went through there were no workmen, operatives, tankers or any sign of activity in the coned off area to be seen. The only action was from irate drivers banging their fists on their driving wheels.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 19 Nov 2019 15:25
Mayfield wrote: 19 Nov 2019 13:07 There's been a problem on the roundabout toward the Shoulder for years....I wonder if it was that again...
.. what problem? Apart from the land flooding just as you exit towards the Flowing Spring... and the bit just past the French Horn...

Well apart from that 😉 If you turning up toward the Crown and Shoulder of Mutton the bit of land on the right by the roundabout ( which I think is someone's garden ) floods and often means there's raw sewage in it...not pleasant. As my daughter commented they,ve had it before without the traffic lights, just pumped it out...something else must of happened on health and safety has tightened up....
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

7:30 and it's already back to All Hallows' ...hope there aren't any early cremations !
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

There until the 26th!
Attachments
Plat Hatch.JPG
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

That IDR image reminds me of our enforced stay in Chatham Tower
And TBH it was like that every evening from about 4:00/4:30pm through to 7:00pm and sometimes later
First time I drove from work that way I got stuck in it from London Rd near RBH and it took nearly an hour to get the last bit home
And that was why I began going to work / coming home earlier so I could get into town just as it started, so missed the worst of it
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Thanks Buseng, that's very useful as I need to go to Toad Hall some time soon.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

maggieaitch wrote: 20 Nov 2019 11:40 Thanks Buseng, that's very useful as I need to go to Toad Hall some time soon.
I know Toad Hall is a lovely garden centre, but isn’t there somewhere closer you could get whatever?
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I have a friend who takes me and we usually make it a morning out (including a fair time in the coffee shop )
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

maggieaitch wrote: 20 Nov 2019 16:20 I have a friend who takes me and we usually make it a morning out (including a fair time in the coffee shop )
I remember being told, some years ago, that Toad Hall was closing after Urs Schwarzenbach bought Fawley Court, to add to his existing estates at Culham Court and Sonning. I'd assumed it had closed. Did it get a reprieve?.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Not exactly just the location in this topic, but Reading looks a total mess again tonight.
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... 3-17289953
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

chris_j_wood wrote: 20 Nov 2019 16:36
maggieaitch wrote: 20 Nov 2019 16:20 I have a friend who takes me and we usually make it a morning out (including a fair time in the coffee shop )
I remember being told, some years ago, that Toad Hall was closing after Urs Schwarzenbach bought Fawley Court, to add to his existing estates at Culham Court and Sonning. I'd assumed it had closed. Did it get a reprieve?.
Yes, although I think the owners of the garden centre had started to look for alternative sites. However it got a reprieve and - in my view- has continued to improve.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

buseng wrote: 20 Nov 2019 19:02 Not exactly just the location in this topic, but Reading looks a total mess again tonight.
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... 3-17289953
Also temporary traffic lights at Henley Rd/ Peppard Rd/ Prospect St junction have been causing misery all day. I don't know the time scale for that.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Could you go to Toad Hall via Peppard Then down to Henley ? Long way round but a pleasant drive. 🙂
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

Fawley Court was bought by Aida Dellal Hersham and she wanted the walled garden (Toad Hall) to return to the estate, and as she also owns the site of the old garden centre at Shiplake, she proposed a rather complex deal by which Toad Hall would move to Shiplake.

The Toad Hall owners weren't that keen on the idea, but were persuaded, but the whole thing fell through. This is one of the articles which was published at the time (2011):
https://www.gardenforum.co.uk/news/comp ... s-through/

You will find more information if you Google.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Mayfield wrote: 20 Nov 2019 21:49 Could you go to Toad Hall via Peppard Then down to Henley ? Long way round but a pleasant drive. 🙂
We do that sometimes, nice drive in the summer.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Lights at Playhatch have gone...and they are now working with just the bollards around them...

Return to “Chatty Person”