Drews site proposals

Norbert
Contributor

Drews site proposals

Post by Norbert »

It seems the music shop and Pure Gym may go in the future.

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/drews ... d-44-flats
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Re: Drews site proposals

Post by OneGorman »

Good use of that particular bit of land.

All these flats going up in the town centre and now we hear the congestion charges are coming. Makes living in them that bit less attractive.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Norbert wrote: 29 Jul 2019 16:18 It seems the music shop and Pure Gym may go in the future.

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/drews ... d-44-flats
The demolition of Pure Gym and the music shop have been on the cards for a long time. I recall speaking someone ITK a few years back saying it'll all be taken down for 'apartments' due to cross rail.

All these new places going up and not the road infrastructure to support it. A 3rd Bridge is a must.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Anybody stupid enough to buy an apartment right next to a crossrail station and in the town centre needs their head examined if they even think of owning a car.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Some will own cars and park them where permissible. They'll go and collect them at weekends when they'll primarily be used for when they need to escape Reading. This happens in London. I know people that do this.

So if you live on the outskirts with no parking restrictions, watch out, there will be more cars parked in your street on a semi-permanent basis.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I disagree - Car Clubs are becoming more popular .
I know someone who sold her car and now uses a club car when she needs one. Saves a fortune
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

dave m wrote: 30 Jul 2019 10:32 I disagree - Car Clubs are becoming more popular .
I know someone who sold her car and now uses a club car when she needs one. Saves a fortune
It happens in London though and it's already happening here.
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Tommy wrote: 30 Jul 2019 10:00 Some will own cars and park them where permissible. They'll go and collect them at weekends when they'll primarily be used for when they need to escape Reading. This happens in London. I know people that do this.

So if you live on the outskirts with no parking restrictions, watch out, there will be more cars parked in your street on a semi-permanent basis.
Less likely with young drivers as many are penalised heavily by insurance companies if not parked offroad - my insurance co has just sent me a message telling me they want to clarify that in their t's and C's a communal garage under a block of flats is just classed as "off road" and not a garage

For older drivers things like that are fairly irrelevant but for younger drivers with huge premiums and the excesses affected by where the car is stored overnight it can have a huge effect - maybe enough to tip the balance towards a pool car - I don't know but definitely the equation for younger (as in under 25) drivers is a bit different than for us older ones
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

How many under 25's do you know that will buy a 400k flat?
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

none but how many of these flats will be to purchase and how many as buy to lets sold off plan to investment buyers
Whitespirit
Super Contributor

Post by Whitespirit »

I see Reading Biker is now the latest member of this forum to be targeted by horsey (and others) over on the chronicle.

Look on the bright side RB, when the sad sack that is horsey starts to pretend to be you over there you KNOW how much you are agravating him with your sense and how little he is able to actually argue his case with any raitonality. I always view it as a win when he pretends to be me.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

ReadingBiker wrote: 30 Jul 2019 13:17
Tommy wrote: 30 Jul 2019 10:00 Some will own cars and park them where permissible. They'll go and collect them at weekends when they'll primarily be used for when they need to escape Reading. This happens in London. I know people that do this.

Less likely with young drivers as many are penalised heavily by insurance companies if not parked offroad - my insurance co has just sent me a message telling me they want to clarify that in their t's and C's a communal garage under a block of flats is just classed as "off road" and not a garage

For older drivers things like that are fairly irrelevant but for younger drivers with huge premiums and the excesses affected by where the car is stored overnight it can have a huge effect - maybe enough to tip the balance towards a pool car - I don't know but definitely the equation for younger (as in under 25) drivers is a bit different than for us older ones
The issue is that the car clubs like most hire car companies have minimum ages and highly penalise young drivers
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

I suspect a new fire station is already being built with the increased demand all these flats will bring.......
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

eddieed wrote: 31 Jul 2019 10:36 The issue is that the car clubs like most hire car companies have minimum ages and highly penalise young drivers
I've just had a very quick look at the CoWheels club which operates in Reading, and although it has slightly different insurance conditions for younger drivers there don't appear to be any extra charges. Minimum age is 18 and they require you to have held a full license for a year.
Enterprise has a minimum age of 19 with a 1-year license requirement. Under 22s can't hire at night (10pm to 5am). They do have extra charges for under 22s, but compared to owning a car they're trivial for an occasional driver. £6 per month and £1 per hired hour.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

This is another area that suffers gridlock traffic. With the new developments here the Council really need to start to look at traffic management, maybe even a new bridge or toll roads/congestion zones
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

ReadingBiker wrote: 30 Jul 2019 17:03 none but how many of these flats will be to purchase and how many as buy to lets sold off plan to investment buyers
All the flats near the Lido are rent only, owned by one company, ( probably a pension/ investment fund ) if I remember correctly
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Lizzy33 wrote: 05 Aug 2019 12:10 This is another area that suffers gridlock traffic. With the new developments here the Council really need to start to look at traffic management, maybe even a new bridge or toll roads/congestion zones
We all know it. But to RBC, it's all about stacking em' high and getting as much council tax in a possible and doing the bare minimum with infrastructure. And even with the bare minimum they rarely get it right. Empty bus lanes anyone?

Return to “Property developments in Reading”