Sardar Palace

KeithW
Super Contributor

Sardar Palace

Post by KeithW »

Wondered why it was taking so long and hadn't realised it was listed...

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... e-16479893
mikejee
Super Contributor

Re: Sardar Palace

Post by mikejee »

Why is it listed?. Surely it is not that old. Would not have thought it was anything special
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Surprise, surprise. More flats. Sighs.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I don't know why, but I'd rather have the odd quirky building than the alternative. It used to be the Gladstone club...

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/10 ... lands-ward
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

And what's more the right hand corner is partly quoined! Bit like me after a curry and a few Kingfishers.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

So is it only the older, reasonable-looking bit that is listed, not the attachment at the back. can understand that
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Tommy wrote: 27 Jun 2019 09:43 Surprise, surprise. More flats. Sighs.
Quite agree, more little flatty watty's.
All councillors must have flats imprinted on their foreheads along with anti-car.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

mikejee wrote: 27 Jun 2019 10:00 So is it only the older, reasonable-looking bit that is listed, not the attachment at the back. can understand that
Except that if any part of a site is listed, that listing extends to any structure that is joined to and shares a common original purpose to the listed bit. Seems a bit mad, but it is what the law says.

That is why the Butler has had so many problems getting permission to convert its back-lot (including the bit that was until recently leased to a tyre company) into hotel rooms. Although all the buildings on that back-lot are sheds that nobody suggests have any great worth, they are joined to the listed frontage building and were built as part of the same pub/off-licence/bottling-plant. So listed building permission was needed, which is why the sheds are being retained and converted into single-story accommodation blocks.
Last edited by chris_j_wood on 27 Jun 2019 10:50, edited 2 times in total.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It was the original location of the Abbey School.
When listing is done, it's the whole building, whatever has been done. So a Georgian house with UPVC windows has listed windows.
Then you apply for changes if you want "authentic" windows.

The owner has been trying to convert for ages. I am sure I saw images of the old Gladstone function room with building work being carried out
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

I remember reading somewhere the windows in the main dining area are listed themselves
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It says Grade II listed, but think it’s only for the older building on London Rd as that dates back to 1840 and was called Blenheim House
Next door was Montague Villas, then The Jack of Both Sides – these where joined / reworked as just the pub in the 30’s

The building on Kings Rd side was added late 60’s / early 70’s as an extension on the Gladstone Club had the London Rd building since about the 30’s

As for the reason of shutting – the owner wanted to bring chefs in from overseas as reckoned none any good in the UK!
He got told no, so his answer was to shut the restaurant and try applying for differing things, hence a list of planning applications
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

OLDMAN wrote: 27 Jun 2019 12:09 It says Grade II listed, but think it’s only for the older building on London Rd as that dates back to 1840 and was called Blenheim House
Next door was Montague Villas, then The Jack of Both Sides – these where joined / reworked as just the pub in the 30’s

The building on Kings Rd side was added late 60’s / early 70’s as an extension on the Gladstone Club had the London Rd building since about the 30’s
It's probably all listed, in my experience that's the way it works, but applications to change things may be looked upon more sympathetically if it's, for example, to make a newer part more in keeping with the old part.
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

ReadingBiker wrote: 27 Jun 2019 11:13 I remember reading somewhere the windows in the main dining area are listed themselves
I did some work at one of the ladies colleges in Cambridge. We wanted to run a load of cables down the walls but were told we couldn't. Why not? Because the wallpaper was listed!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”