Closure of Jolly Anglers

gareth

Closure of Jolly Anglers

Post by gareth »

The Post has a http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2052 ... ly_anglerspiece on events yesterday.

I went down to talk to John the landlord at teatime. Enterprise Inns (they of notoriety) showed up unannounced mid-afternoon and told him that he was on his way, and last night was the last night the pub would be open. They announced that the pub 'had permission' (wrong) for redevelopment.

The real tragedy is that John had in a little over three months made the place a pleasant, profitable community pub, popular with locals. Enterprise, however, are infamous for shutting down good pubs and penalising publicans for being successful, as a recent DTI Select Committee report proved (backed up by other Reading examples). However, any planning application is likely to face massive (cross-party) opposition and change of use requires a demonstration that a pub is unviable - a case the developers will find very hard to make. There is some anecdotal evidence however to suggest that Enterprise has bought up the adjoining two terraced houses.

The mood among locals last night was one of calm defiance, although their (and my) comments on Enterprise remain unprintable.
Cazzmo1
Contributor

Re: Closure of Jolly Anglers

Post by Cazzmo1 »

Jolly Anglers Campaign MeetingHost: Reopen the Jolly Anglers
Type: Causes - Protest
Network: Global
Date: Sunday, July 5, 2009
Time: 6:30pm - 8:00pm
Street: 8 St John's Street, RG1 4EH
City/Town: Reading, United Kingdo
gareth

Post by gareth »

It's just been confirmed that Enterprise Sins have imposed one of their wretched restrictive covenants on the sale.

That said, there are some silver linings.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

gareth wrote:It's just been confirmed that Enterprise Sins have imposed one of their wretched restrictive covenants on the sale.
So there is a covenant which prohibits use of the place as a pub. And no planning permission for it to be anything else but a pub. Presumably whoever bought it is hoping that if they leave it boarded up and derelict for long enough, public pressure will build up on RBC to grant permission to allow its residential (or whatever) use just to get rid of the eyesore. I'm sure that if pressure does build up on those grounds, RBC will see that as a change of mind by the local community and allow it, and who is to say they would be wrong in doing this.

It is down to the locals to make their choices and stick to them. A real exercise in local democracy. May the best man win.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Has anyone been to the Jolly Anglers recently? I believe it's re-opened.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”