Primark to move 220 jobs from Reading to Ireland

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Primark to move 220 jobs from Reading to Ireland

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Jesus FH Christ. That’s it, I’m out.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Mar 2019 14:56 ABF is owned by an Australian company. Brexit will be furthest from their mind. Profit will.
I think you mean Canadian , not Australian
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

The Weston family has ties with Australia - some of them live over there/emigrated or originated from there I believe. Primark was originally Penney’s, was purchased by ABF and badged Primark. ABF did not always own Primark. The Weston’s also own Fortnum and Mason I’m told.
acc
Contributor

Post by acc »

The Leave campaigner Boris Johnson (remember him?) stated the Brexiter attitude towards business clearly and succinctly: "F**k business."

The Brexiters have a similar contempt for manufacturing, as stated by Brexiter economist Patrick Minford:
"Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us."

Another Brexiter Piers Morgan said he did not believe that a Brexit-supporting economist would have wished for this collapse, but Susannah Reid did a fact-check on her smartphone and corrected him:
"In 2012, [Minford] told MPs on the Foreign Affairs Committee that car manufacturers in the UK would have to be wound down if Britain left the EU. In the run-up to the referendum in 2016 he also said Brexit would eliminate manufacturing."
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Mar 2019 19:02 The Weston family has ties with Australia - some of them live over there/emigrated or originated from there I believe. Primark was originally Penney’s, was purchased by ABF and badged Primark. ABF did not always own Primark. The Weston’s also own Fortnum and Mason I’m told.
From Primark's own website: "the Primark we all know and love today, the retailer with 320 stores around the world, began as Penneys: a single store on Mary Street in Dublin city centre back in 1969... The Mary Street store was opened by Dublin-born retailer Arthur Ryan on behalf of the Weston family, which had been in the retail business for years. Ryan had previously worked for Dunnes Stores and he was hired by Garfield Weston to set up a discount clothing chain."
And archived from the Federation of Bakers' website in 2010: "Allied Bakeries was founded by Willard Garfield Weston in 1935. Initially incorporated as Food Investments Ltd. on 2nd November of that year, the name was changed to Allied Bakeries Ltd. on 9th December... Rapid growth then started, with the Company having more than doubled in size by 1938 with acquisition of nine more bakeries; by 1952 the Company controlled 50 bakeries, and by 1966 the number had grown to 84 bakeries. In parallel with these developments on the bakery side of the business, other food producing and retailing concerns were being acquired, both in Britain and abroad, to form the parent Company, Associated British Foods."

Companies House lists 10 directors for Whittington Investments, the company which owns 54.5% of ABF. Five of them have the surname Weston, 3 of whom have the nationality listed as Canadian and 2 of whom are British. Of the other five directors, another is also from the Weston family and is Canadian, a seventh is married to a Weston, and the eighth is also a Weston whose name changed upon marriage. Interestingly in one part of Companies House she is listed as a Canadian national and in another British, so perhaps she has dual citizenship. I will concede that Who's Who lists her as being born in Sydney, but articles about her describe her as growing u in London and going to Bristol University, so her Australian links are fairly minimal.
Companies House also lists the trustees of the Garfield Weston Foundation that controls over 75% of the shares of Whittington Investments - as previousl mentioned, 8 are Canadian and one American, and whilst only 3 of them are named Weston, they are all direct descendants of Garfield Weston. (Interestingly the Companies House website may be slightly out of date as the [ul=https://garfieldweston.org/what-we-do/trustees/]foundation website[/url] has a slightly different set of trustees, but they're all still descendants of Garfield)

Yes Whittington Investments also owns Fortnum & Mason, and one of the Weston family is Chairman. And she's married to the chairman of Heal's. And oneof her cousins, also from the Weston clan is Deputy Chairman of Selfridges Group.

Wikipedia refers to them as "The Weston family of Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom" and the Telegraph has referred to them as an "Anglo-Canadian family".
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

So despite them saying it's nothing to do with Brexit. You and Bannock don't believe them (as with Honda etc). When there's news like this you blame it on Brexit. When there's good new economically it's nothing to do with Brexit. I know how it works.....
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

The bottom line is that whether it’s Brexit related or not, it’s not good and hardly the time to be going out in the rain without a coat.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Melchett wrote: 09 Mar 2019 08:53 So despite them saying it's nothing to do with Brexit. You and Bannock don't believe them
Given that your post is immediately after mine, am I supposed to be the "you" in "You and Bannock'?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
jonbryce
Super Contributor

Post by jonbryce »

piwacket wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:21
OLDMAN wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:16 Not surprising as they are an Irish company with a large head office in Dublin so why not
I know someone who works in the offices at Reading Primark and got told last week by them, they have been talking about this for ages, even when she was in the old head office they had in Sheffield

She came to the Reading office when it opened here – but she isn’t moving out of her position (accounts)

So **** all to do with Brexit
There was a cartoon in the paper yesterday of two Bankers congratulating themselves .... that until the Referendum all the ills of a business and/or it’s mismanagement were blamed on them - but now it’s “Brexit” ....
This one?
7398_07.03.19_web_ML.jpg
jonbryce
Super Contributor

Post by jonbryce »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Mar 2019 19:02 The Weston family has ties with Australia - some of them live over there/emigrated or originated from there I believe. Primark was originally Penney’s, was purchased by ABF and badged Primark. ABF did not always own Primark. The Weston’s also own Fortnum and Mason I’m told.
They are still called Penneys in Ireland. In other countries, they use the Primark name because an American department store chain of the same name owns the trademark elsewhere.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

You’re right. J C Penney (Penny?) is the USA version.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

jonbryce wrote: 10 Mar 2019 13:50
piwacket wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:21 There was a cartoon in the paper yesterday of two Bankers congratulating themselves .... that until the Referendum all the ills of a business and/or it’s mismanagement were blamed on them - but now it’s “Brexit” ....
This one?
Yep!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Okay as of this comment, you can all stop citing ‘that’ word or its connotations on this thread

Spoke to my friend / neighbour at the weekend

She isn’t going to Ireland as her dep't is staying in the Uk (Reading), plus they are looking to take more people on at Primark’s offices

Its only certain sections / departments moving as currently doubled up between here and Dublin, so a logistical / managerial move to streamline their business model

And had been discussed / planned for quiet a few years – well before B*****
In fact, it nearly happened when they opened the head office in Reading but was decided then to see how things worked out

END OF
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

As I worked for a large multinational company a few years ago, we lost a lot of jobs to Hungary and that was when we were part of the EU with no referendum on the horizon. Was that because of Brexit?
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Mayfield wrote: 08 Mar 2019 13:03 I don't think there is any need to be insulting Bannock. People were given the choice, it wasn't clearly explained and in some cases there are things that are unforeseen.
If people made an informed choice, given the information available at the time, fair enough.

The fact that key Brexiteers didn't and in some cases, still haven't, got their ducks in a row, isn't the fault of the 'ordinary' voter.
Well there's your problem. Choosing to vote leave was rarely an informed choice, and even then the information the choice was based on was flawed. It was usually an emotional choice.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Voting remain was hardly an informed choice either. Unless of course you knew what was in the pipeline or what the EU were planning.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 11 Mar 2019 11:31 Voting remain was hardly an informed choice either. Unless of course you knew what was in the pipeline or what the EU were planning.
Funny that. The UK has been in the EU (or its predecessors) for all my adult life, and I have no memory of that causing the British government and political establishment to melt-down in the way the brexit vote has. Were we just lucky, or could it be that those in favour of remaining back then actually had a plan for how to do so. I'm not normally a fan of Margaret Thatcher, but in her dealings with the EU she did very well for this county. Perhaps she operated with a plan?.

Basically the Leave leadership's failure is a classic example of failing one of Sun Tzu's maxims of leadership:
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Could you all please take any further Brexit discussions to the Brexit thread viewtopic.php?f=214&t=11948&p=268882#p268882 and not keep hijacking anything else

Thank You
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

You should delete this thread the OLDMAN because it's an intrinsic part of the thread subject matter. Unless you can work out some way of discussing cheese sandwiches without mentioning cheese?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Why delete a thread about Primark moving some people from its Reading office - its a Reading subject all the way

BUT proven to be F**K all to do with B***** apart from few idiots who keep banging on about it, and nearly hijacking every other thread if they can
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

It's only "not about brexit" if you have failed to understand the situation, as I have described earlier in the thread, and agreed by other contributors who have demonstrated the ability read between the lines, to be the case.

I put it to you that you have incorrectly identified who the idiot is here.

Is this the part where you threaten to put me hospital again?
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Let's put this to bed eh.

The company I worked for lost a load of jobs to Hungary about 10 years ago now. This is whilst we were part of the EU and no referendum in the pipeline. I'm sure Bannock would have been berating the EU back then for taking our jobs if he knew about this...........
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Simple answer is we ban anyone on here why mentions B***** whether for / against or even mentioning it in fun

And the subject is being discussed by moderators

That way the many who are fed up with anyone harping on / hijacking threads, can get on with decent discussions about Reading on this 'The Reading Forum'!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

I agree. Won't mention it on here again. Because Primark has said it's nothing do it with.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 11 Mar 2019 07:54 Okay as of this comment, you can all stop citing ‘that’ word or its connotations on this thread

Spoke to my friend / neighbour at the weekend

She isn’t going to Ireland as her dep't is staying in the Uk (Reading), plus they are looking to take more people on at Primark’s offices

Its only certain sections / departments moving as currently doubled up between here and Dublin, so a logistical / managerial move to streamline their business model

And had been discussed / planned for quiet a few years – well before B*****
In fact, it nearly happened when they opened the head office in Reading but was decided then to see how things worked out

END OF
Just because something has been considered for several years doesn't mean that Brexit isn't a factor. If a situation has been under review for several years, then any review and decision now would have to take into account Brexit - it would be both illogical and indeed irresponsible (to the shareholders) not to. It may well be that Brexit has nothing to do with this case, or it may be a contributory factor, but unless we're right at the top of the decision-making process, we're unlikely to actually know, because most companies are going to keep quiet.

Brexit is a divisive subject, across the country, within workforces and within customers. No company is going to start blaming Brexit for bad news now unless they genuinely think it's going to put them out of business, put them at a major disadvantage to their competitors, or unless they are fronted by a maverick individual who enjoys controversy and publicity as a way of doing business. Otherwise a business risks p***ing off as many of its customers as it pleases. Primark and Dyson are both going to want to continue hawking stuff to the UK punters, so why risk brassing off the Brexiteers in their customerbase? It's for the same sort of reason you rarely hear a mainstream business come out and either criticise the monarchy as an institution or mount a staunch defence of it - why try to grab the republican-leaning customers when you're just as likely to lose your monarchist ones? Just keep quiet about it and try to attract customers on the basis of services and price and avoid anything contentious.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Perhaps people missed this post I made before so –

I know someone who works in the offices at Reading Primark and got told last week by them, they have been talking about this for ages, even when she was in the old head office they had in Sheffield

She came to the Reading office when it opened here...……..

Talking to her at the weekend she did say they talked about moving to Dublin back then, and she was happy they didn’t as didn’t want to go there
And even happier that she isn’t being made to go (or be made redundant) this time

Now as the original idea to move was planned back 2013/2014 and the decision made to bring it all to Reading instead of splitting it in 2015, and Brexit wasn’t until 2016 then sorry, I find it hard to link the two together
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

No, I saw it. Businesses often review situations and arrangements on a periodic basis. Sometimes other factors come into play, sometimes other factors drop out of play.

I knew a company that had a plant just south of Hull which they had been thinking of closing ever since the mid-1930s. It was borderline economic, but it was useful, and every few years the rumour went around that it was going to close, and to be fair the company would admit that this plant, like every other one, was always subject to periodic review and its future couldn't be guaranteed. On a couple of occasions in the 50s and 60s it did look like it would close, but in fact they kept it on until the mid 1980s. It was only after the Humber Bridge opened that it the price of supplying the south-of-Humber market from a north-of-Humber plant dropped significantly as to make the plant south of Hull completely uneconomic, and so it closed. So there you had a case where closure had been mooted for nearly 50 years before it actually happened, and the factor that finally led to it occurring wasn't even in existence when the first reviews started.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Oh.

European roofing giant is latest firm to move to Reading's Thames Tower

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/busin ... x1XTG6Ts5s
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Melchett wrote: 13 Mar 2019 08:48 Oh.

They're moving from London, not from another country.

Also, they're not really European. Ultimately it's an American company, with a European HQ in Luxembourg for tax reasons. The UK operation is 100 years old - formerly Redland Roofing - and has been part of the group since the 90s so hardly new investment.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

cnb wrote: 13 Mar 2019 09:09
Melchett wrote: 13 Mar 2019 08:48 Oh.

They're moving from London, not from another country.

Also, they're not really European. Ultimately it's an American company, with a European HQ in Luxembourg for tax reasons. The UK operation is 100 years old - formerly Redland Roofing - and has been part of the group since the 90s so hardly new investment.
American company moving to Reading.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Yet more of Brexiteers infesting other threads with their offthread arguments
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

mikejee wrote: 13 Mar 2019 11:25 Yet more of Brexiteers infesting other threads with their offthread arguments
It's happening all over this forum. Mainly from remainers.

Honda "It's nothing to do with brexit"
Remainers "Oh yes it is".

Primark move 220 jobs out of Reading. BMI move jobs into Reading. That's relevant.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

OLDMAN wrote: 11 Mar 2019 15:38
<snipped>

Talking to her at the weekend she did say they talked about moving to Dublin back then, and she was happy they didn’t as didn’t want to go there
That's a shame, there are some nice inexpensive properties in Dublin...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3822843

Return to “Property developments in Reading”