HIGHRISE

ash
Super Contributor

HIGHRISE

Post by ash »

Been fascinated by the various projects and plans being made for high-rises in Reading town centre. Growing up in this town, I remember the years of a static skyline. The view of Western Tower, the Civic Centre and Fountain house dominating the views into town have burned into memory. Plans coming and going for various sites such as Forbury Square and thinking 'it will unlikely ever materialise'.

But in the past decade or so, it seems to be building up at such a rate. Having seen all the separate threads for each development, I can see how there may be concerns about the town's infrastructure being strained. If the traffic issues, parking, etc could be discussed on those individual threads, we could use this one to focus on architectural quality and visual impact of true high-rises (say 12+ storeys).

I thought this thread could be a space to discuss how each project will/has contributed to the changing overall skyline and aesthetic of the town.

Completed
  • The Blade
  • Chatham Place Phase 2
  • Thames Tower extension
Under construction
  • Verto (Former Kings Point)
  • Thames Quarter (Former BMW Coopers site)
Planning
  • Station Hill
  • Former Royal Mail sorting office site
  • Station Road (corner building opposite Thames Tower)
  • Broad Street Mall (above car park)
Stewart
Super Contributor

Re: HIGHRISE

Post by Stewart »

What is going on at the Butts, sorry, Broad Street Mall car park then?
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Stewart wrote: 13 Nov 2018 07:55 What is going on at the Butts, sorry, Broad Street Mall car park then?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-44695373
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

https://www.no1reading.com

29-35 Station Road, application for the 22 storey tower now submitted according to their website.
Yola

Post by Yola »

I have no objection to high rise. But I have some provisos. They need to be clustered so that they don't impact on existing heritage buildings and they need to have some degree of architectural merit/be a 'statement' building, or at least have a central statement building around which others are built.

Reading is changing, and I welcome change but I would like some brave design here to really make sure when people hear the name Reading the associations are positive and ones of admiration and not be synonymous with embarrassingly-designed and cheaply flung up blocks of flats with coloured plastic stuck to the facade.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

:goodposting:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Couldn't agree more, Yola.

These buildings really have the opportunity to shape and make a lasting impression of Reading.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 07 Dec 2018 18:47:goodposting:
Ditto.
Seems to me at the moment it’s a bit like a row of teeth - with lots missing :(
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

No1 Reading looks nice and gives it a city appeal. I wonder which companies will move there?
The Blade was nice when it came out but is very odd imo
We need the fine balance of quality and lasting buildings and not white elephants.
It would be good to see investment in some of the worn out parts of Reading so we don't end up with "ghetto" areas.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

The agreed plans for the Wickes/Iceland site are being scrapped in favour of a talker building(s).
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 09 Jan 2019 12:42 The agreed plans for the Wickes/Iceland site are being scrapped in favour of a talker building(s).
Glad to hear. Hopefully they can get new architects too.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Planning application number: 182196

The developers of Thames Quarter want to increase the number of units, by increasing the height of the baseline building (not the tower).
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Can’t see any issues with that. RBC are mad for flats and it’s only one more floor.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

All these rabbit hutches going up and not the infrastructure to support it. Worrying times for existing Reading residents.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

As more and more of the Verto building is revealed from under the scaffolding, I have real praise for the appearance of the building. I'm not always a massive fan of using valuable town-centre land solely for residential apartment blocks. But in this case, the building design looks really attractive, elegant, and it's certainly not a bog-standard lego-brick like some others being planned.

A fitting building for this prominent position.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

I agree with you, Ash. It’s quite a nice design. Miles better than what was there before.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ash wrote: 13 Feb 2019 16:06 As more and more of the Verto building is revealed from under the scaffolding, I have real praise for the appearance of the building. I'm not always a massive fan of using valuable town-centre land solely for residential apartment blocks. But in this case, the building design looks really attractive, elegant, and it's certainly not a bog-standard lego-brick like some others being planned.

The novelty will soon wear off and it'll just fade away into mediocrity like they all do, it's nothing special. It makes money for the developers and that is its sole purpose. Expensive sky-hutches.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

KeithW wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:21
ash wrote: 13 Feb 2019 16:06 As more and more of the Verto building is revealed from under the scaffolding, I have real praise for the appearance of the building. I'm not always a massive fan of using valuable town-centre land solely for residential apartment blocks. But in this case, the building design looks really attractive, elegant, and it's certainly not a bog-standard lego-brick like some others being planned.

The novelty will soon wear off and it'll just fade away into mediocrity like they all do, it's nothing special. It makes money for the developers and that is its sole purpose. Expensive sky-hutches.
Lol, fade away like the Blade has done? Don't think they all do. It has made a lasting impression on the skyline, as will this building.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Talking of high-rise, and I know its not Reading but worth comparing – anyone else seen this? - http://royalwinchesterhouse.com/

I see it everyday and it’s been interesting watching it go up

As you come in / approach the TC on the old Wokingham Rd its directly in front of you, but oddly not noticeable as seems to blend in due to the sight line you get

Passing on through it does look big, but not obtrusive

Amazing how they can get the look just right with some buildings
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ash wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:55 Lol, fade away like the Blade has done? Don't think they all do. It has made a lasting impression on the skyline, as will this building. [Verto]
We obviously have different sensibilities. The Blade is a boring office building with a spike on top. That don't impress me much.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

KeithW wrote: 14 Feb 2019 20:10
ash wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:55 Lol, fade away like the Blade has done? Don't think they all do. It has made a lasting impression on the skyline, as will this building. [Verto]
We obviously have different sensibilities. The Blade is a boring office building with a spike on top. That don't impress me much.
Agree to disagree. You can’t please everyone.

I like to look at things from a ‘glass is half full’ perspective. No building is perfect. I could find many points of criticism for many buildings in Reading.

But, where possible, praise given where it’s due, instead of focussing only on its flaws
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

KeithW wrote: 14 Feb 2019 20:10
We obviously have different sensibilities. The Blade is a boring office building with a spike on top.
It's not entirely boring - I like the one curved side and one more conventional side of the design. But I find the pointy bit on top to be rather ludicrous.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Bring back Forbury Vaults.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Melchett wrote: 15 Feb 2019 08:39 Bring back Forbury Vaults.
Bring back the vibrant throbbing hot-spot that was the White Lion!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”