Candidates for my dissertation

tickets, news, info, forum, etc....
Samsmith673

Candidates for my dissertation

Post by Samsmith673 »

TO ALL MUSIC LISTENERS

I am looking for candidates who are willing to be interviewed for my dissertation! It’s on how the political theme in music has changed since the 1950s and I need to interview people who take an interest in rock music. The best candidates will be those who have thought about the themes and topics in the songs they like and have opinions and knowledge about such music. The interviews will be face to face with me and will be held somewhere in Reading.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Re: Candidates for my dissertation

Post by Stewart »

" how the political theme in music has changed since the 1950s"

I was born in the 1950's so not much use to you. I do love my music but have to say never given this aspect much thought! But good luck in your search Sam and with your dissertation...
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Hello Sam
Have you thought of placing an advert in the vinyl record shops or asking at the record fairs that are held regularly at Rivermead? This might attract the type of person you are seeking. An alternative is to try and get a spot on local radio with one of the presenters highlighting your quest. Good luck.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Stewart wrote: 20 Oct 2017 07:56 " how the political theme in music has changed since the 1950s"

I was born in the 1950's so not much use to you. I do love my music but have to say never given this aspect much thought! But good luck in your search Sam and with your dissertation...
I think much the same - so I guess you need someone in their 80's to be able to assess music from the 1950's onwards?

Not really sure what's meant by ''political theme'' in music - do you mean like the sort of protest songs of Dylan, Buffy St.Marie or Joan Baez?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Have you canvassed UoR Sam? Might be relatives of students or staff that could be interested?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 20 Oct 2017 19:08 Have you canvassed UoR Sam? Might be relatives of students or staff that could be interested?
...or possibly http://readingu3a.org.uk/
There's no such thing as a free lunch
coxy1937
Super Contributor

Post by coxy1937 »

Rock and roll certainly shook things up in the 50s. Changed young peoples outlook, and probably political views. Older people hated it,made it all the better! What an interesting subject. Good luck with it.
Samsmith673

Post by Samsmith673 »

C.A.Versham wrote: 20 Oct 2017 09:32 Hello Sam
Have you thought of placing an advert in the vinyl record shops or asking at the record fairs that are held regularly at Rivermead? This might attract the type of person you are seeking. An alternative is to try and get a spot on local radio with one of the presenters highlighting your quest. Good luck.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you!
Samsmith673

Post by Samsmith673 »

piwacket wrote: 20 Oct 2017 17:40
Stewart wrote: 20 Oct 2017 07:56 " how the political theme in music has changed since the 1950s"

I think much the same - so I guess you need someone in their 80's to be able to assess music from the 1950's onwards?

Not really sure what's meant by ''political theme'' in music - do you mean like the sort of protest songs of Dylan, Buffy St.Marie or Joan Baez?
It's on music from 1950 onward. Yes they would carry a political theme but a true definition of the political theme would be "the analysis of the strands which link spatial structures, political processes and economic systems". In short this can be songs which look at protest songs like you suggest but also ones that highlight ongoing issues in the world in a more general way - poverty, racism, sexism are just a few examples. Any songs with a particular meaning behind it would be suitable.
Samsmith673

Post by Samsmith673 »

coxy1937 wrote: 22 Oct 2017 11:51 Rock and roll certainly shook things up in the 50s. Changed young peoples outlook, and probably political views. Older people hated it,made it all the better! What an interesting subject. Good luck with it.
Absolutely! Would you like to sit down and have an interview about it?

Return to “Reading Rock Festival”