These rules are disclosed to clarify the various responsibilities of all community members here on Reading Forum. They shall be adhered to by everyone to ensure that our board runs smoothly and provides a fun and productive experience for all of our community members and visitors.
READING FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT
Here you will find a variety of topics concerning the town of Reading (Berkshire, England) and surrounding area being discussed, with new messages being posted all the time.
Please be aware that the message board is from time to time is visited by hoaxers and those not necessarily interested in discussing Reading. If you encounter users who you feel are abusing the message boards, please do not respond to them. These users are only encouraged when their messages provoke a response, so the best thing you can do is ignore them. Click on the 'Report' link on their message and Forum Admin or a moderator will deal with the complaint
In order to be a responsible member of the online community we ask all members to adhere to the following terms and conditions. This begins as soon as you register and will be enforced immediately upon registration. It also applies to the website as a whole, across the board in all threads, messages and posts. Anyone who doesn’t feel they can abide by these guidelines should not sign up to them. If users are found to be breaching these guidelines once they have joined, they will be issued with one warning or banned immediately depending on the severity of their breach. Previously banned members who post again under a different alias will be deleted without further warnings. Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.
Please remember also, this is a family forum accessible to anyone of any age whether a member or not. #
Usernames and Avatars
• Behind every participating username is a real person, please respect their orientation in life and opinions at all times.
• Choose a user name and avatar that is inoffensive. If a username or avatar is found to be offensive it will be removed without warning.
• Members selecting a name to impersonate another user will receive a permanent ban without warning.
• Please note that only one connected person/user name is permitted to use the Reading Forum.
• Members creating multiple user names without a prior agreement with Admin or Moderators will be permanently banned from the site.
• Never post information considered as personal or private without the other member's consent. #
• There is a zero tolerance to spam. Anything that is deemed to be so will be removed with immediate effect and the spammer banned at the discretion of Admin and Moderators.
• Empty messages or replies invisible by font and background colour being the same, quotes with no new content or reasonable meaning and repetitive questions or inane words is spam.
• Pornography, pornographic images or sexually offensive material is spam.
• Self promotion of businesses (excluding ‘local’ Reading businesses in the appropriate forum category) and anyone involved with them, survey threads, charity request threads made without prior permission, requests for referrals, referral links, third party affiliate links, advertising for personal gain is spam
• Duplicate threads will be deleted at the discretion of moderators. Please use the advanced search to avoid this scenario.
• Bumping old threads without good reason is not permitted and will be classed as spamming, as will thread spoiling and hijacking.
• Adding offensive tags or anything considered as spam in any part of a thread, tag line or post will result in a ban.
• Threads relating to or discussing members who have been banned or suspended will be removed from the forum.
• Spamming by PM or Private Message will also result in a ban.
• Spammers details will be added to spam-alert websites. #
Trolling and Trolls
• Trolls are people who for no reason want to disrupt a forum topic by repeatedly posting out of context posts, derogatory comments, throwing insults, making personal attacks and deliberately inciting a negative response from other members. This is called ‘trolling’ in public forums and won't be tolerated here.
• Users or groups of users who continue to attack other members because of their views and opinions, attempting to beat them down or demean them, will have posts deleted and may be banned. #
Racism, Religion, Sexuality
• Attacks on a person's faith, race, colour, sexual preference will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of Admin and Moderators without prior warning to the offenders.
• A person's religious, sexual, political or any other orientation in life should be respected at all times #
Profanities, Foul Language, Rudeness
• There is a word filter in place to help remove profanities from posts.
• Anyone attempting to get round the word filter by any means will face a ban.
• Rude posts or images are also not acceptable and will be deleted without warning at the discretion of Admin and Moderators.
• Please be polite to your fellow members at all times. #
Reporting Offending Posts
• Members have the ability to report posts made by others if they think any of the rules have been broken and we thank you for using this feature.
• A report button can be found at the top of every post (red exclamation mark inside an upside down triangle).
• Reported posts will notify Admin and Moderators of the offending post. Please include a brief description and links with your report.
• Do not reply to an offending post, leave it to Admin and Moderators who will deal with the situation as soon as possible.
• Responding to offending posters in any thread with aggressive replies, or inciting them to continue will be considered as an offence in itself.
• Abuse of the voting system, reputation, expiry and spam buttons will lead to a ban from the forums. #
Admin and Moderators
• All the rules will be strictly enforced by Admin and Moderators at all times.
• Moderators are here to keep the forum as user friendly as possible. They're as other members but with extra permissions that enable them to carry out their tasks. Please remember they are human too and do occasionally make mistakes!
• If you disagree with a Moderator decision, please email Admin.
• Admin will have the final say in any disputed decision and on all aspects of the forum. #
THREE STRIKE RULE : When it is felt the need arises, and following an initial polite word of caution in a topic, you may see this :
Moderation Warning 1 : [Membername]
....appropriate words indicating reason for the formal warning...
If you receive a Warning, please don't argue about it in the topic risking further antagonism and potentially attracting a Warning 2 for dissent; instead, should you wish to protest or appeal, PM one of the Moderators who will collectively discuss the decision with you.
Whilst 'Moderator Warning 1' is shown here, if warranted by the behavior in question, 'Moderator Warning 3' might be issued without escalation, with appropriate and immediate sanction against the member accordingly (eg Suspension). Duration of any sanction imposed will be agreed by Moderators on a case-by-case basis. #
- • All the rules will be strictly enforced by Admin and Moderators at all times.
• A valid e-mail address should be available in your profile at all times to provide us with a means of contact should the need arise.
• Posting the same messages or threads in more than one forum isn't necessary, please make sure you choose the correct forum before posting your topic and post just one of it.
• We reserve the right to delete any messages, posts, profile locations, signatures or other and for any reason at all. It's also not a given right to expect an explanation why this is done either by PM or in a thread reply. However, we will try to let you know provided we have the time and ability to do so.
• When making a post or creating a new topic and thread, please think before you click on the "submit" button. The last thing we want to see is a reply turning a discussion in to an over exaggerated argument. #
By entering and posting on the forum you agree to abide by the code of conduct stated above. These rules and the Code of Conduct can be changed or updated at any time, please check them regularly. #